Reinstalling a MODX Post-Move

Archive of support for the automated MOD installation tool codenamed "Blinky". For support questions regarding AutoMOD please visit here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTICE: IF YOU NEED SUPPORT FOR AUTOMOD PLEASE VISIT THE APPROPRIATE LOCATION HERE.
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Re: Reinstalling a MODX Post-Move

Post by Oyabun1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:35 am

If on running the database cleaner you choose not remove modules then they are not removed, which is what the errors are telling you, they already exist. Reinstalling AutoMOD will just mean it skips that part because it won't add the modules twice.

If you wanted to reinstall the mChat MOD with AutoMOD all you really needed to do was drop the row for that MOD from the mods table in the database. However, if you started with new install of phpBB files on the new host rather than actually having a moved board then cleaning the database and reinstalling the MODs is probably the best way of going about it.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

Noah Ivaldi

Post by Noah Ivaldi » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:48 pm

Yeah, I got that much. I cleaned the database, reinstalled AutoMOD and started to use it. To my surprise, mChat still is not working after again using AutoMOD and getting no error messages. I checked the mChat configuration, the permissions, and everything, and there's still no chatbox anywhere.
As a test, I picked out some other mods and uploaded them with AutoMOD, watching for any DIY instructions. Username Color Change MOD works, while I see no sign of Upcoming Birthday List. Easy Screenshot Dumpster didn't seem to change anything, but Save Full Drafts did. However, when I went into a UCP to actually view drafts, I got this error:

template->_tpl_load_file(): File ./styles/melankolia/template/ucp_main_drafts_mod.html does not exist or is empty

BACKTRACE

FILE: (not given by php)
LINE: (not given by php)
CALL: msg_handler()

FILE: [ROOT]/includes/functions_template.php
LINE: 63
CALL: trigger_error()

FILE: [ROOT]/includes/template.php
LINE: 437
CALL: template_compile->_tpl_load_file()

FILE: [ROOT]/includes/template.php
LINE: 224
CALL: template->_tpl_load()

FILE: [ROOT]/includes/functions.php
LINE: 4834
CALL: template->display()

FILE: [ROOT]/includes/functions_module.php
LINE: 832
CALL: page_footer()

FILE: [ROOT]/ucp.php
LINE: 345
CALL: p_master->display()

Mind you, the post author had a line in a file that allowed a "true" to be set to "false" in order to allow separate lists for PM drafts and post drafts, right? So, I went in and edited that. No big deal. The instructions said to refresh my styles. Well, I keep seeing that, and it's starting to really annoy me, because I apparently can't. I go to the Styles tab in my ACP, and I can deactivate, export, delete, or preview styles, but not refresh them. Logical thing to do? Check the components and refresh them. I refreshed the imagesets, themes, and templates, and I suspect that this is where I screwed up, because that made the "main_drafts" and "pm_drafts" or whatever the other one is go away and turn back into the normal draft table, I'm guessing. Stupid me, I figured that I could just uninstall the mod, then reinstall it to get it set back up again. When I go to uninstall it, there are two error messages. Oi.

Is there an easy fix for this? Do I have to do another database cleanup and start all over, or can I just force the uninstall and reinstall it?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:42 pm

first, no MOD edits the style files for any styles other than prosilver and/or subsilver2. therefore, if you are not using one of those two styles you have to do style edits manually for whatever MODs you are installing.

second, if you are editing style files in the admin panel editor, they are not permanent and will be lost if you refresh the styles or purge the cache.

always download the files to your computer using ftp and edit them using text editor.

one way to test to see what is going on is to switch to prosilver style when installing MODs using automod.

that way you will know if it is being installed or not. If prosilver is working, then you can do the same edits to your style to make it work in that style.

robert
I am going to be out of town and off line for a week . see ya when I get back.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Noah Ivaldi

Post by Noah Ivaldi » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:47 pm

Oh. Then, when they tell me to refresh my styles, does that just mean to refresh prosilver and subsilver2? As in, I don't have to do anything because my site uses melankolia as its default?

That aside, what went wrong, and how do I fix it? I can just change that one "false" back to a "true" in that one file, but it doesn't change anything. It wasn't that little change that broke the drafts table.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:30 pm

no, what that means is that unless you are manually making edits to your melankolia style for each MOD that you install using automod, then the MODs are not being installed to your melankolia style.

any time that you ( or automod ) make any edits to any style file, you must refresh the style components involved.

I have no idea what you are referring to with the "change the false back to true" . that is apparently some edit you made for some MOD and you would have to ask the people inolved with that MOD in that MOD's discussion area.

robert

Noah Ivaldi

Post by Noah Ivaldi » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:54 pm

Fffff- That explains everything! I just tried using a preview of one of the default styles, and everything was working. Aww, man. I don't know how to edit my style data. I don't suppose that this is gonna' be a simple matter of making copy pasta, is it . . .?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:13 pm

Noah Ivaldi wrote:Fffff- That explains everything! I just tried using a preview of one of the default styles, and everything was working. Aww, man. I don't know how to edit my style data. I don't suppose that this is gonna' be a simple matter of making copy pasta, is it . . .?
yes, that is exactly how you do it.

any MOD you install will have a install.xml file . you open that file in your browser.

it will have step by step install instructions for the whole MOD. included in those instructions will be the edits needed for the style files.

you follow those instructions. it will tell you which file to open, which bit of code to find and will give you the code to add/replace whatever.

however, in some cases you can do this from automod.

once the MOD is installed, you can go back to the automod tab in the admin panel, click on the details link for the MOD. if there is a section at the bottom of the page that says:
"available changes" then you can make the changes to your style.

the box on the left will be where you choose which style your custom style is based on
( prosilver or subsilver2) and in the box on the right you choose your custom style.

it will attempt to make the correct changes to the correct files.

robert

Noah Ivaldi

Post by Noah Ivaldi » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:32 am

After some backups, guessing, and testing, I managed to edit the styles files to get mChat working! Yay for me? Watch me screw it up.
First, I have been trouble connecting to my site which I thought to be a server error, so that's why I went in and manually did this while I was waiting. Now that I have access again, I see where you're referring to, I think. All that I have to do is go to this mChat details page, then select "subsilver2" (the style that Melankolia is based on, it turns out) and Melankolia, click "Submit," and all the style file changes will be synched up for me? That's bloody convenient! I was starting to worry that I'd have to manually figure this junk out every time.
Given the fact that Melankolia hasn't been updated in eons, I'm thinking that I'll just pop in a new style and run with that. Now that I know how to synch up the file changes in AutoMOD, that makes things much easier. Yeah, the work that I just did will go to waste, but, heh, you get used to that.

That leaves me with (I think) one more question: Is there something wrong on mChat's end that is screwing up my connection, or what is it? I keep reaching my "per-client hard connection limit," 20, and that's why I am being disconnected from my site every time that I blink. Is this the fault of mChat, another one of my mods, or what?
Current mod list:
phpBB mChat
Upcoming Birthday list (Evidently, there were already some edits done around there, which may be a simple matter of Melankolia being out of date. In any case, I can just uninstall this if necessary.)
Username Colour Change MOD
Save full drafts (I haven't started on these file edits, so, again, I'll probably just switch to a new style and use AutoMOD to synch.)

The oddest part about it is that the connection limits were hitting before mChat was set up. While it was installed, but not on Melankolia (which, by the way, every user is set to), one friend and I were online, and he had no troubles, but I kept getting disconnected whenever I tried to edit a post.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:01 am

what connection limits are you talking about? are you getting an error message of some kind telling you that or what?

robert

Noah Ivaldi

Post by Noah Ivaldi » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:31 am

With my host. I'd get an in-browser error that would state that the connection to the server was reset while the page was loading. I got these errors in my cPanel:

2013-01-14 08:02:57.604 [INFO] [75.106.220.115:56456-0#APVH_seinvocc.com] File not found [/home/seinvocc/public_html/404.shtml]
2013-01-14 08:02:55.783 [INFO] [75.106.220.115:56455-0#APVH_seinvocc.com] File not found [/home/seinvocc/public_html/404.shtml]
2013-01-14 07:22:41.241 [INFO] [4.30.96.133:11761-2#APVH_seinvocc.com] File not found [/home/seinvocc/public_html/404.shtml]
2013-01-14 07:22:26.366 [INFO] [4.30.96.133:49840-3#APVH_seinvocc.com] File not found [/home/seinvocc/public_html/404.shtml]
2013-01-14 07:14:29.082 [INFO] [HTAccess] Updating configuration from [/home/seinvocc/public_html/forum/.htaccess]
2013-01-14 07:14:29.081 [INFO] [HTAccess] Updating configuration from [/home/seinvocc/public_html/.htaccess]

StableHost got these on their end:

2013-01-14 08:03:25.516 [NOTICE] [75.106.220.115] reached per client hard connection limit: 20, close connection!
2013-01-14 08:28:18.873 [NOTICE] [75.106.220.115] reached per client hard connection limit: 20, close connection!
2013-01-14 08:42:28.566 [NOTICE] [75.106.220.115] reached per client hard connection limit: 20, close connection!

A tech support lady said that she'd look into it for unwanted connections that could be causing it. That's great and all; I just wanted to see if there was some common problem in phpBB3 or these mods that could be the source of it, which might make it easier to figure it out.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:44 am

show us what is in your htaccess file in the board root.
ignore the errors about the 404 that just means you don't have a file setup for the 404 errors.

robert

Noah Ivaldi

Post by Noah Ivaldi » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:15 am

#
# Uncomment the statement below if you want to make use of
# HTTP authentication and it does not already work.
# This could be required if you are for example using PHP via Apache CGI.
#
#<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
#RewriteEngine on
#RewriteRule .* - [E=HTTP_AUTHORIZATION:%{HTTP:Authorization},L]
#</IfModule>

<Files "config.php">
Order Allow,Deny
Deny from All
</Files>

<Files "common.php">
Order Allow,Deny
Deny from All
</Files>

Perms are set to 644, for the record.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:31 am

ok, that's standard. I just wondered because of the reference to it in your logs.

robert

Noah Ivaldi

Post by Noah Ivaldi » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:58 am

Yeah, that's what I figured. I saw a knowledgebase submission at StableHost that told me to check for something else that it said shouldn't be there and also to check the perms, so I was fairly sure that the htaccess was fine, but it's good to know for sure.

Noah Ivaldi

Post by Noah Ivaldi » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:24 am

StableHost:

". . . When checking the time and the domlogs for your account, I could see that the following URL were being accessed at the time, when you faced this error :

===
/forum/mchat.php
===
root@cp31 [/home/seinvocc/public_html/forum]# grep 75.106.220.115 /usr/local/apache/domlogs/seinvocc.com |grepmchat |wc -l
==="

Me: ". . . didn't even bother trying to go to seinvocc.com/forum/mchat.php, so at no point was it intentionally accessed to trigger this error. Now, I'm going to that page intentionally, and there's no problem whatsoever.
I have no idea what that second URL even is. It doesn't even look like a URL, to me. O.o

Here's what I'm inferring from what I'm seeing, which is probably 110% wrong, but humor me enough to give me an idea of how/why it's wrong: When I try to edit a post, any post, the forum isn't submitting the forms correctly. Rather than submitting the edited post and redirecting me to the confirmation page, then back to the thread, it's somehow trying to send me to mchat.php and/or whatever that other thing is, then it fails and thus retries all at once so that the server locks it out for connecting too much at a time. Something like that?

I have no idea where to go, from here. What could possibly cause such a problem? Is it something that I can fix at all? I have a very strong feeling that I'm about to see a lot of stuff fly over my head."

Erm, do you guys have an idea what could be behind this? I mean, if I had a clue, I would put this in the appropriate forum, but I don't even know whether it's related to a module (I guess mChat, but mChat doesn't usually trigger this, right?) or not, AutoMOD can fix it or not, STK can fix it or not, and I don't know any of the how/whys.

Return to “[3.0.x] AutoMOD”