Reinstalling a MODX Post-Move

Archive of support for the automated MOD installation tool codenamed "Blinky". For support questions regarding AutoMOD please visit here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTICE: IF YOU NEED SUPPORT FOR AUTOMOD PLEASE VISIT THE APPROPRIATE LOCATION HERE.
Noah Ivaldi

Re: Reinstalling a MODX Post-Move

Post by Noah Ivaldi » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:16 am

Well, that second one wasn't a URL at all; it was a result from their server logs stating that my IP was connecting too much when I tried to access mchat.php.

I got another reply, and they think that it's just a matter of mChat resulting in high CPU usage and server load. I reminded the lady that I was talking to that mChat wasn't even installed on the current style, and, now that it is, guests and members can access the mChat (both on the index page and at mchat.php) without problem. And, again, the problem occurs when I try to submit an edit to a post, which has nothing to do with mChat legitimately, so we're clearly looking at some sort of faulty redirect, not an expensive module, right?

Again, I'm lost. Is there something wrong in my posting.php that you guys could check out, or would the problem be elsewhere? I'm confident enough that this has nothing to do with AutoMOD or mChat, at this point. Could it have something to do with my outdated style? I don't want to presumptuously switch over to a new one, say, "Oh, things are working, now," and find out a month later that I just moved the problem to a more critical area or something.

I suppose that this post up to the one that starts with, "After some backups, guessing, and testing," could be moved to a new thread in the support forum, if you'd be so kind.

Noah Ivaldi

Post by Noah Ivaldi » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:00 am

Quick update: They tested and couldn't replicate the problem. I installed some new styles and changed my account over to one (Dark Revil), then had AutoMOD copy the style file changes over. This time, I incurred the error when trying to access the index page after being on the mChat page. I just tried again, and the same thing happened. Then, it happened again when trying to submit an edit of a post.
I went to other styles without copying the module changes via AutoMOD, and I incurred the error both when traversing from mchat.php to index.php and when submitting a post edit. The mchat-index transition error is spotty; it didn't happen once on the default prosilver style, but happened the second time that I tried on that style and on all the other attempts, including back on Melankolia, where I had not seen this problem before.
I suppose that this only confirms the notion that the file edits in the styles data for mChat are not causing the problem, not that it narrows things down much. I thought that there may be a chance that this could be helpful.

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:40 am

Noah Ivaldi wrote:I suppose that this only confirms the notion that the file edits in the styles data for mChat are not causing the problem
I'm not following your reasoning. If the board and mChat MOD work fine using prosilver but not with other styles, that suggests errors in the other styles most likely with the edits for the MOD. Depending on how different those styles are to the standards, prosilver and subsilver2, AutoMOD may not have been able to correctly do all the edits (usually, however, it will throw errors in that case, but you don't mention that happening?).

You will need to manually check the style files to make sure the correct code has been added to the correct places.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

Noah Ivaldi

Post by Noah Ivaldi » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:49 pm

Uh, no, you misunderstood . . . mChat is working on ALL styles. In every style, even those that I have not yet had AutoMOD successfully copy the file edits for, I can go to mchat.php and see a functioning mChat. In those that have had the file edits transferred, I can see it on my index page, too.
mChat works on all styles + errors occur independently of whether I have style file edits copied over = errors are not caused by that little handful of file edits
There are a few file edits that AutoMOD had trouble with (trying to uninstall Save Full Drafts and a couple style file copies), but we can get to those after we figure out what is causing this connection crazIness.

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:17 am

Partially installed or uninstalled MODs can cause all sorts of problems, so I would suggest fixing those first. You may find completely removing any partially uninstalled MOD fixes mChat as well.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

Noah Ivaldi

Post by Noah Ivaldi » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:45 am

I used STK to completely wipe my board of modules and all traces of them again just to be extra-sure. I still had these problems. The modules aren't screwing anything up. Then, I reinstalled AutoMOD and mChat. A couple style file edit copies are being problematic, and I asked about them separately on a styles database forum, but they're clearly irrelevant to this connection nonsense.

5hocK

Post by 5hocK » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:08 am

Setting autoupdate to 30 seconds instead of 10 (for chat) that it's on now would make a big difference on the server you're using especially if it's a shared server with hundreds, maybe thousands of other users.
A thread is pretty much a topic. Stop with the pedantics will ya.

Noah Ivaldi

Post by Noah Ivaldi » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:14 am

I have a bandwidth allowance of 50 gigs per month, and the chat is taking up almost nothing. I think that I'm good, but thanks.
That being said, I couldn't augment it even if I wanted to. I keep trying to get into my ACP so that I can find out why mChat is up at the top in stead of the bottom, but I keep getting this connection error and therefore getting locked out of my own site. -_-

5hocK

Post by 5hocK » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:24 am

Bandwidth allowances has nothing to do with CPU usage and that is what will affect your ability to connect by hogging CPU resources.

Edit: Have you manually checked all file edits in posting.php? The full draft MOD affects this file and if you are having trouble posting and this MOD is partially installed/uninstalled, then that could well be a problem.
A thread is pretty much a topic. Stop with the pedantics will ya.

Noah Ivaldi

Post by Noah Ivaldi » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:22 am

. . . I just said that I cleared the database, right? So, AutoMOD and all its edits were gone. I even deleted the mods that AutoMOD was storing and replaced the two that I was considering using (mChat and one other that I changed my mind about) after reinstalling AutoMOD just to be super-sure that I was using the exact right versions, right edits, blah.

CPU resources are not an issue, and neither is the posting. I'm not getting locked out for using too much CPU. I'm getting locked out because I'm connecting to the server 20+ times simultaneously, as though I was trying to open something in twenty new tabs at once.

I did check posting.php, and there was never anything wrong with it. Again, it's not even a matter of the posting (as is made especially clear by the fact that it sometimes works and sometimes gives me the error). There's something far more complex than that going on.

Noah Ivaldi

Post by Noah Ivaldi » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:48 am

Guys, I'm totally unable to access my site, now. I get the error every time that I try to leave the index page. Even when I open a new tab and type in the URL for another page, like the ACP, I am mysteriously redirected to the index. I would really appreciate it if I could get some support on this.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:31 pm

Noah Ivaldi wrote:Guys, I'm totally unable to access my site, now. I get the error every time that I try to leave the index page.
What error is that? I am having no problem accessing your other pages...

Noah Ivaldi

Post by Noah Ivaldi » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:17 pm

Like I said, this is happening only to me, as far as I know. The StableHost team couldn't replicate the issue, either.
What's happening is that, at completely random intervals, my computer is rapid-connecting to my server, which triggers its per-client hard connection limit, 20, and therefore shuts me out.
Sounds like a server issue? Well, the server that I'm on is new, and the support team of StableHost (which, by the way, is extremely responsive and helpful) has found no flaws on their end.
Someone somewhere has got to know what could cause this and therefore what to fix.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:39 pm

Do you have any sort of web-accelerator turned on for your webbrowser?

Noah Ivaldi

Post by Noah Ivaldi » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:47 pm

Considering the fact that I don't know what one is, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess the negative.

Return to “[3.0.x] AutoMOD”