Getting HTTP Error 500 (Internal Server Error)

Archive of support for the automated MOD installation tool codenamed "Blinky". For support questions regarding AutoMOD please visit here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTICE: IF YOU NEED SUPPORT FOR AUTOMOD PLEASE VISIT THE APPROPRIATE LOCATION HERE.
octain11

Getting HTTP Error 500 (Internal Server Error)

Post by octain11 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:36 pm

What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.0.11
What is your board's URL? http://subarutristategang.com/index.php
Who do you host your board with? octain11
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
Do you have any MODs installed? No

What styles do you currently have installed? Black_Pearl
What language(s) is your board currently using? uk english
Which database type/version are you using? Not entire sure, remember it reading sqeeze, but do not know the exact version.
What is your level of experience? New to PHPB33 and PHP
When did your problem begin? downloading Automod.
Please describe your problem. every time i try to view any forum topic, i get the below error:
Hello all, i am new around here, this is my first time around phpbb3, i am getting comfortable with it. I ran into an issue yesterday installing automod,after installing and dragging roots into the public_html via filezilla, I went back to ACP got the message to delete the install module in the FTP, did that, message went away and forum was working properly, but no automod in ACP. I thought something went wrong in the download process, deleted the Automod files on the FTP, then again dragged the roots into public_html, they went through, when i go to the website (subarutristategang.com) i get this error:

HTTP Error 500 (Internal Server Error): An unexpected condition was encountered while the server was attempting to fulfill the request.

I cannot access the error logs, and the server host is in China for the time being, i am not sure what to do, i went back to my FTP,erased the Automod root files but that did not do anything.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Getting HTTP Error 500 (Internal Server Error)

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:55 pm

undo everything you have done so far with uploading the files.

then, using your ftp, open the folder named "cache"

delete all the files from that folder except for the index.htm file and the .htaccess file ( if you see one )

refresh your browser and see what happens.

once you get the board back, we will work with you to figure out what you are doing wrong.

not sure what "roots" you are dragging and dropping" but we can straighten that out once you get your board back.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

octain11

Post by octain11 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:11 pm

thanks for the reply robert, i deleted everything in cache except for .htaccess and index.htm, tried reloading the page still receiving the error

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:48 pm

right now your site is not loading at all. the files are apparently there, but won't load.

I would first replace all your files with new ones so you are starting with a clean slate:
*NOTE: Before proceeding backup all files and the database.*
  • Upload all new files from a download of the full version, EXCEPT for config.php, the /images and /files folders.
  • Go to yoursite.com/forumfolder/install/database_update.php
  • Let that run and then delete the install folder.
  • You now have a new up to date board containing all your users and posts but without any MODs that you might have had installed.

then if your board is back, we can figure out the problems.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

octain11

Post by octain11 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:53 pm

I am sorry, i am not sure what you mean by replace all the files with new ones? can you please explain this?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:06 pm

octain11 wrote:I am sorry, i am not sure what you mean by replace all the files with new ones? can you please explain this?
do exactly what I posted? you follow those instructions above exactly and in order and you will have all new files with all your old posts, members etc. just fine.

you said you had no MODs installed so there will be no problems if you do it as instructed.

octain11

Post by octain11 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:10 pm

thanks again robert i really appreciate,apologize for any ignorance, this is my first time around these, i am currently backing up all the files, i will do exactly what you had posted and report back, thanks again.

-Sam

octain11

Post by octain11 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:28 pm

Am I just replacing the files in Public_html only? or am i also removing .htpasswd,logs, public_ftp, imap?

octain11

Post by octain11 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:42 pm

i received a 404 Not found when i went to subarutristategang/forumfolder/install/database_update.php

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:48 pm

octain11 wrote:i received a 404 Not found when i went to subarutristategang/forumfolder/install/database_update.php
if you follow those instructions, there is no way that you could replace any files other than the proper ones.

no, those are not part of phpbb so you would not be replacing them.

and no where does it say anything about removing any files from the server.

that path is just an example. in your case, since your board is installed in the root of your server,

your path would be:

http://subarutristategang.com/install/d ... update.php

robert

octain11

Post by octain11 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:15 pm

they new files will just overwrite on the files?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:33 pm

octain11 wrote:they new files will just overwrite on the files?
yes, just upload them and they will overwrite any files of the same name. if there are files with different names, nothing will happen to them at all.

all of your members, posts, forums etc are in the database, this does not even touch the database until the last step and it can NOT hurt anything, it only updates certain areas of teh database.

remember, as long as you have made the backups of your files and database then even if you were to delete everything on purpose, you could get it all back in just a couple of clicks.

don't worry so much.

robert

octain11

Post by octain11 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:54 pm

I followed everything as you said, when to my domain and did the database update, it says update completed, in red it says: lease make sure you have updated your board files too, this file is only updating your database. I deleted the install folder on the ftp, when i go to my domain this comes up: Fatal: ./cache/ is NOT writable. Did everything exactly like you said, it was going smooth until now

octain11

Post by octain11 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:02 am

fixed it, i set the permission to 777,working thanks!!

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:54 am

great work! now , if you still want to install automod and then some MODs we can help you do that.

to install automod:

1. on your computer, open the automod folder named root.

you should see the folders;
adm
includes
install
language
store
umil

2. using ftp, on your server make sure you have your site open so you can see those same folders on your server along with the other phpbb folders.

3. now, highlite all the folders on the left side and drag and drop them all over to the right side.

(this is pretty much the same process you just did when you replaced all the files.)

4. once all the files are finished uploading, go back to your browser;
go to:
http://subarutristategang.com/install/

5. click on the install link
once it is installed, go back to the ftp and delete the folder named install again.

6. you now have automod installed.

once that is done, come back and we will help with installing MODs.

robert

Return to “[3.0.x] AutoMOD”