Apex Avatars :: Request for Feedback

This forum is now closed. Please ask all styles-related questions in the phpBB 3.0 Styles Support & Discussion Forum.
traviscarden

Apex Avatars :: Request for Feedback

Post by traviscarden »

Hello, all! I'm Travis Carden, author of the Apex series of avatars on phpBB.com. Since I began making avatars a couple of months ago I've gone from making them out of simple necessity for use on my church web site to making them as a hobby, to now considering a whole web site devoted to them! To help me in making decisions about and designing my site I've put together a list of questions for you. I know there are a lot there--please just answer a few that interest you. (There's a reward at the end for your trouble. ;)) Thanks!

Completely fill in the circles corresponding to your answers using a No #2 pencil only. Do not use pen. ;o)

How do you use your avatars?
  1. Do you use my avatars as a forum administrator or as an individual user?
  2. What sort of site(s) do you download my avatars for? (Also, is a preposition a good word to end a sentence with? ;))
  3. Do you try to theme your avatars with your site? (e.g. car models on an automotive site or computer games on a gamer site.)
  4. Which of my avatars do you have/use? Which sets are your favorites?
  5. Do you rate my avatars? And do you feel guilty about that? ;)
  6. How often do you visit phpBB.com specifically for my avatars? Would you like to receive an email with new releases?
  7. What background colors do you use? (Black/Transparent/White) What color is your site? Would you like another color option?
  8. Do you ever make your own changes to my avatars? Would you like my original Photoshop documents (PSD's)?
  9. Do you have another favorite place to get your avatars? Do you make your own avatars?
So how'm I doing?
  1. What's your overall opinion of my avatars? (Use superlatives--like "best" or "coolest"--where possible. ;))
  2. What do you think of my selection of subject matter and quality source images?
  3. Do I make enough or too many of the characters in my sets? (Go ahead, say something about my Pokemon sets--1 2 & 3. :)) Do you ever remove characters or add your own?
  4. Do you like the way I organize the packages? (With the release of my latest set I went to using underscores instead of spaces in file names. Do commas or apostrophes cause anyone problems?)
  5. Are the downloads of manageable size for you?
  6. Have you ever told anyone else about my avatars?
  7. Have you driven a Ford lately? (Hehe. Sorry. =)
What about... ?
  1. What do you think about a web site dedicated to my avatars? Would it get used? Would you use it?
  2. If I made such a site, would you still expect to see my avatars on phpBB.com?
  3. What would you think of a feature for customizing an avatar set with borders and custom background colors on the download page?
  4. Would you pay a dollar for a custom avatar (set) using your photo or other graphic(s)?
  5. Would you be interested in (interactive) Flash animations as avatars?
  6. Wild hair: I also have a hobby of making Windows icons. How does that strike you?

Here's my Wish List/TODO List. What do you think? Do you have any suggestions/requests?
  1. Sports Teams (Logos) (MLB, NHS, NBA, NRA--just kidding. ;)
  2. Big Idea (Jonah Movie, Larryboy)
  3. Dreamworks (Antz, Small Soldiers)
  4. Fox (Garfield the Movie, Titan A.E.)
  5. Lord of the Rings (I, II, III)
  6. Marvel (Daredevil, Spiderman)
  7. Pixar (The Incredibles, Pixar Shorts)
  8. Star Trek (Deep Space Nine, Enterprise, The Next Generation, The original Series, Voyager)
  9. Star Wars (I, II, III, IV, V, VI)
  10. The Matrix (I, II, III)
  11. Video Games (Impossible Creatures, Sonic the Hedgehog, Star Fox, Zelda)
  12. Homestarrunner.com - If you haven't seen this site, treat your funny bone and see it. ;)
  13. Operating System Mascots (Linux Tux, FreeBSD Demon)
  14. Austin Powers, Mars Attacks, Men in Black, Sesame Street, The Brady Bunch, The Tick...
That's just a smattering. Give me your ideas--and let me know if you know where to find good images! Nice source material is hard to come by!

Well thank you so much for taking the time to give your feedback! As a "thank you", here's a little pre-release material from a new set I'm working on right now: I think these're fun! :D

Image Image Image Image Image

Fox-1

Post by Fox-1 »

Hi,
nice stuff. If you would like to have some new ideas/content to your avatars, you could get some from my wallpaper site, www.desktop-designz.com :)
ColinDesignz

Post by ColinDesignz »

Hello traviscarden,
I notice you have dedicated plenty of time into making avatars, and have notice nearly every avatar set is made by you. Most of the avatars i like - mostly older cartoons where you loved as a child and forgotton - ninja turtles. Most are overall good, I have noticed that some of the sets seem a bit plain to the eye, knowing that its kind of expecting from the theme you base the set off of. It would be nice to see some nice abstract - unique type avatars created by you. Thank you and keep up the good job traviscarden.
SillyAlien

Re: Apex Avatars :: Request for Feedback

Post by SillyAlien »

traviscarden wrote: Hello, all! I'm Travis Carden, author of the Apex series of avatars on phpBB.com. ... To help me in making decisions about and designing my site I've put together a list of questions for you. I know there are a lot there--please just answer a few that interest you.

- as forum admin
  2. What sort of site(s) do you download my avatars for?
    - your avatar packs are suitable for any type of site
  3. Do you try to theme your avatars with your site?
    - not I, but I'm sure some do
    - cartoon character sets seem to be the most popular at any site
    - I did once. No guilt at all, since it was all good :)
  6. How often do you visit phpBB.com specifically for my avatars? Would you like to receive an email with new releases?
    - no email notification required
  7. What background colors do you use? (Black/Transparent/White) What color is your site? Would you like another color option?
    - black and white cover all bases I think
  8. Do you ever make your own changes to my avatars? Would you like my original Photoshop documents (PSD's)?
    - the only changes are the sizes, a 50x50 set is ooptimal for a heavy traffic board or if you want to save on bandwidth
  9. Do you have another favorite place to get your avatars? Do you make your own avatars?
- so far, you've been doing one of the best jobs I've seen in a while, so no other favorite spots

So how'm I doing?
  1. What's your overall opinion of my avatars? (Use superlatives--like "best" or "coolest"--where possible. ;))
    - hmmm... best .... coolest
  2. What do you think of my selection of subject matter and quality source images?
    -so far so good
  3. Do I make enough or too many of the characters in my sets? (Go ahead, say something about my Pokemon sets. Do you ever remove characters or add your own?
    - I use them as is, either the whole set or nothing
  4. Do you like the way I organize the packages? (With the release of my latest set I went to using underscores instead of spaces in file names. Do commas or apostrophes cause anyone problems?)
    - underscores are good
    - yes
    - oh yes

What about... ?
  1. What do you think about a web site dedicated to my avatars? Would it get used? Would you use it?
    - I think that's a great idea
  2. If I made such a site, would you still expect to see my avatars on phpBB.com?
    - not really, maybe phpBB.com can provide a permanent link to your site
  3. What would you think of a feature for customizing an avatar set with borders and custom background colors on the download page?
    -that would be neat
  4. Would you pay a dollar for a custom avatar (set) using your photo or other graphic(s)?
    - certainly. You'd better stop giving them away for free now then.
    - they're finally losing their "annoying" factor and becoming more popular, but I don't know if the world is ready for a flood of them yet
  6. Wild hair: I also have a hobby of making Windows icons. How does that strike you?

-I think you need a new hobby, like knitting scarves and sweaters or something :)

What do you think? Do you have any suggestions/requests?
- my only suggestion is to have a size option when you do get your site up

Good work, keep it up :wink:
Oh, and thank you, of course.
Plummer4MVP

Post by Plummer4MVP »

1. Do you use my avatars as a forum administrator or as an individual user? - administrator
2. What sort of site(s) do you download my avatars for? (Also, is a preposition a good word to end a sentence with? ) - personal site, and definitely not
3. Do you try to theme your avatars with your site? (e.g. car models on an automotive site or computer games on a gamer site.) - not really, I post what my users ask for
4. Which of my avatars do you have/use? Which sets are your favorites? - Cartoon Network, Muppets, etc.
5. Do you rate my avatars? And do you feel guilty about that? - Very good quality, but a lot of my users have started using animated .gifs, which I find aggravating
6. How often do you visit phpBB.com specifically for my avatars? Would you like to receive an email with new releases? - once a week or so, and no thanks
7. What background colors do you use? (Black/Transparent/White) What color is your site? Would you like another color option? - I always use the transparent backgrounds
8. Do you ever make your own changes to my avatars? Would you like my original Photoshop documents (PSD's)? - Photoshop is expensive
9. Do you have another favorite place to get your avatars? Do you make your own avatars? - phpbb.com, and no

So how'm I doing?

1. What's your overall opinion of my avatars? (Use superlatives--like "best" or "coolest"--where possible. ) - best I've found, I don't like animated gifs
2. What do you think of my selection of subject matter and quality source images? - personally, I like the cartoon stuff
3. Do I make enough or too many of the characters in my sets? (Go ahead, say something about my Pokemon sets--1 2 & 3. ) Do you ever remove characters or add your own?
4. Do you like the way I organize the packages? (With the release of my latest set I went to using underscores instead of spaces in file names. Do commas or apostrophes cause anyone problems?) - spaces have caused some problems with some mods, so I normally add underscores
5. Are the downloads of manageable size for you? - yes
7. Have you driven a Ford lately? (Hehe. Sorry. =) - ah, no

What about... ?

1. What do you think about a web site dedicated to my avatars? Would it get used? Would you use it? - bad idea, yes and yes (explanation at bottom)
2. If I made such a site, would you still expect to see my avatars on phpBB.com? - yes
3. What would you think of a feature for customizing an avatar set with borders and custom background colors on the download page? - good idea
4. Would you pay a dollar for a custom avatar (set) using your photo or other graphic(s)? - sure
5. Would you be interested in (interactive) Flash animations as avatars? - dislike animated, dislike flash
6. Wild hair: I also have a hobby of making Windows icons. How does that strike you? - some folks like it

Here's my Wish List/TODO List. What do you think? Do you have any suggestions/requests?

1. Sports Teams (Logos) (MLB, NHS, NBA, NRA--just kidding. - good
2. Big Idea (Jonah Movie, Larryboy) - don't care
3. Dreamworks (Antz, Small Soldiers) - don't care
4. Fox (Garfield the Movie, Titan A.E.) - don't care

I like the work you do. I'm afraid, though, that if you start making money and/or hosting a site dedicated to your work you are going to get a call from some lawyers. I have read that a lot of companies (especially folks like Disney) file suit against people who use their images. I doubt you have permission from these companies to use their art work. I hate to be a pooper of this party, but I'd hate to see you get sued. While I applaud what you do, you are using other peoples creations. And Pooh Bear, or Dilbert, or Fozzie the Bear ARE copywrighted images. That being said, be careful.

Beware litigation!!

:)

Plummer4MVP[/b]
Jon Reid

Post by Jon Reid »

Do you use my avatars as a forum administrator or as an individual user?

Forum Administrator
What sort of site(s) do you download my avatars for? (Also, is a preposition a good word to end a sentence with? )

A general discussion forum
Do you try to theme your avatars with your site? (e.g. car models on an automotive site or computer games on a gamer site.)

No theme really, just want good avatars :D
Which of my avatars do you have/use? Which sets are your favorites?

Matrix/Disney amongst others.
Do you rate my avatars? And do you feel guilty about that?

I do indeed. ;)
How often do you visit phpBB.com specifically for my avatars? Would you like to receive an email with new releases?

I visit phpbb.com on an almost daily basis, just to keep up with things here. So, if you make any new releases I'll no doubt find them :D
What background colors do you use? (Black/Transparent/White) What color is your site? Would you like another color option?

Transparent
Do you ever make your own changes to my avatars? Would you like my original Photoshop documents (PSD's)?

Fine as they are :D
Do you have another favorite place to get your avatars? Do you make your own avatars?

Make my own and use other avatars from around here etc
So how'm I doing?

fantastically, keep it up/
What's your overall opinion of my avatars? (Use superlatives--like "best" or "coolest"--where possible. )

LOL, um they are the collest and best avatars availiable :D
What do you think of my selection of subject matter and quality source images?

Top Notch
Do I make enough or too many of the characters in my sets? (Go ahead, say something about my Pokemon sets--1 2 & 3. ) Do you ever remove characters or add your own?

I pick and choose and upload the ones I like
Do you like the way I organize the packages? (With the release of my latest set I went to using underscores instead of spaces in file names. Do commas or apostrophes cause anyone problems?)

I really don't take note of file names, they don't show in my gallery
Are the downloads of manageable size for you?

yes
Have you ever told anyone else about my avatars?

Nope.
Have you driven a Ford lately? (Hehe. Sorry. =)

Yes
What do you think about a web site dedicated to my avatars? Would it get used? Would you use it?

I'd use it if it had more content than simply avatars.
If I made such a site, would you still expect to see my avatars on phpBB.com?

Most definitely
What would you think of a feature for customizing an avatar set with borders and custom background colors on the download page?

nice idea
Would you pay a dollar for a custom avatar (set) using your photo or other graphic(s)?

No. I'd use photoshop or fireworks.
Would you be interested in (interactive) Flash animations as avatars?

Perhaps
Wild hair: I also have a hobby of making Windows icons. How does that strike you?

Odd ;) :P
Administrator of Star Trek Online || Moderator of The Admin Zone
traviscarden

Post by traviscarden »

SillyAlien wrote: What do you think? Do you have any suggestions/requests?
- my only suggestion is to have a size option when you do get your site up

Well, I looked around the Net a little bit to see what sizes of avatars are common, and boy is there a wide range out there! There's 100x100, 80x80, 65x65, 50x50... 80x80 is common on (and technically the maximum size for) phpBB, and vBulletin seems to use 65x65, so I'm happy to do those two sizes--that only means making six more files for each avatar (multiply size options by background colors). What does everyone think? Is that sufficient?
eskimo10

Post by eskimo10 »

Forum admin.
2. What sort of site(s) do you download my avatars for?
I have a site geared toward a specific ethnic group.
3. Do you try to theme your avatars with your site?
No.
All of them and I'm always on the lookout for your new releases.
5. Do you rate my avatars? And do you feel guilty about that?
Yes I rate them and no I don't feel guilty about it.
I can't say that I visit just to check for your newest release but sometimes when I'm on I'll visit this forum to see what's new. An email update would be nice.
I use the white background. My site is basically olive and lemon. I like the current color options.
No and no.
Sometimes I browse the web for avatars, no specific site. I make my own sometimes. I'm actually working on a Christian set now.

So how'm I doing?

1. What's your overall opinion of my avatars? (Use superlatives--like "best" or "coolest"--where possible. )

Very nice.
Good.
3. Do I make enough or too many of the characters in my sets? (Go ahead, say something about my Pokemon sets--1 2 & 3. ) Do you ever remove characters or add your own?
You make a good selection.
Please don't use commas or apostraphes.
Very.
No.
No.

What about... ?

Good idea. I would use it.
:dunno:
Cool.
No, I would just make my own.
Kinda.
Nice.

1. Sports Teams (Logos) (MLB, NHS, NBA, NRA--just kidding.
8. Star Trek (Deep Space Nine, Enterprise, The Next Generation, The original Series, Voyager)
12. Homestarrunner.com - If you haven't seen this site, treat your funny bone and see it.
14. Austin Powers, Mars Attacks, Men in Black, Sesame Street, The Brady Bunch, The Tick...

Nice to do list. I hope you get it done. I also like the brand avatars. Also in the furture if you decide to make another survey, please make a form with checkboxes or radio buttons and give us a link to that page. This is too much typing, lol. :wink:
mjm1905

Re: Apex Avatars :: Request for Feedback

Post by mjm1905 »

Hello Travis, I posted this earlier, but my computer was acting funny. I hope it wasn't deleted and I am posting again...

Hello, all! I'm Travis Carden, author of the Apex series of avatars on phpBB.com. Since I began making avatars a couple of months ago I've gone from making them out of simple necessity for use on my church web site to making them as a hobby, to now considering a whole web site devoted to them! To help me in making decisions about and designing my site I've put together a list of questions for you. I know there are a lot there--please just answer a few that interest you. (There's a reward at the end for your trouble. ;)) Thanks!

Completely fill in the circles corresponding to your answers using a No #2 pencil only. Do not use pen. ;o)

I use them as the Administrator.
  2. What sort of site(s) do you download my avatars for? (Also, is a preposition a good word to end a sentence with? ;))
    (Good gramer :) )My website uses phpbb as a community area of a classifieds.
  3. Do you try to theme your avatars with your site? (e.g. car models on an automotive site or computer games on a gamer site.)
    No I don't. I think the avatars are a good way to let users express their personalities.
    I downloaded all but the Pokemon avatars thus far.
    I guiltlessly rated your avatars.
    Personally, I just receantly discovered this area of the site. I had visited three times roughly over the period of a month. However, I had some confusion with name attributes.
    I use the transparent backgrounds.
    I have never made changes to the images, but I think giving the psd's could be a recognized and appreciated feature.
I can't find many places to acquire avatars, and besides the ones offered here, I was discouraged in the endeavor. I never made my own avatars, not that good with images.
So how'm I doing?
    I think your doing fantastic. The avatars are really nice, and you have a large variety.
    I think the subject matter is nice, it fits almost any type of person and personality. The source material is great. Makes nice quality images.
  3. Do I make enough or too many of the characters in my sets? (Go ahead, say something about my Pokemon sets--1 2 & 3. :)) Do you ever remove characters or add your own?
    I thought the amount was exceptional. I have never added or removed any of your sets.
    The organization was impressive, as you know I had a problem regarding the underscores, but it was not bothersome. I don't think the commas or apostrophes would cause any server conflict.
Size was relavent, I appreciated having a full suite in one download. I have not told anyone directly, but respectively placed a link to your website. Personally, I think you should request a link to your site. Not lately :)
What about... ?
    Yes, I think it would definitly get used. It would be a good idea, and I would use it.
    Yes I would still expect they would be included here as well.
    I thik that is an excellent idea, as some webmasters would appreciate borders. The more flexability, the more people will use.
    I don't think I would.
    I would probably be interested, but would want to see the file sizes before I offered them on my site.
    I like the idea, it would go nice for computer related career people.
  1. Sports Teams (Logos) (MLB, NHS, NBA, NRA--just kidding. ;)Excellent Idea, sports enthusiasts love to show their favorite teams.
  12. Homestarrunner.com - If you haven't seen this site, treat your funny bone and see it. ;)
I think all of these are good idea... the more offered the better, in my opinion.
That's just a smattering. Give me your ideas--and let me know if you know where to find good images! Nice source material is hard to come by!

Well thank you so much for taking the time to give your feedback! As a "thank you", here's a little pre-release material from a new set I'm working on right now: I think these're fun! :D

Image Image Image Image Image[/quote]
traviscarden

Thank You/New Site

Post by traviscarden »

Thanks, everyone, for your feedback! apexavatars.com is now online! It's not completely finished yet, but it's moving along well. I'll be adding avatars and functionality daily, so stop by and give it a visit! :D
eskimo10

Post by eskimo10 »

Travis Carden the site is looking awesome! I like the new avatar sort feature.
traviscarden

Thanks!

Post by traviscarden »

eskimo10 wrote: Travis Carden the site is looking awesome! I like the new avatar sort feature.

Thanks so much, eskimo10! I'm working hard on it! ;) I'm not really a fan of my own work a lot of the time, but I'm very pleased with the way this site's come out. I added the sort feature two nights ago and the categories and producers views yesterday. Soon I'll be working on a "Discuss/Rate/Review" feature (like phpBB's, of course). I haven't decided how to do that yet, because I'm no phpBB.com, and I don't know if I have a big/loyal enough following to ask people to register to post. I'm also working on the other parts of the web site--the contact form is next. And I'm thinking about how to share my avatars with phpBB.com. Maybe you have some ideas! :-D Anyway, thanks again for the compliment, and keep coming back! ;)
MCMaloy

Post by MCMaloy »

I like those windows icons where can I get those?
traviscarden

I'll email them

Post by traviscarden »

MCMaloy wrote: I like those windows icons where can I get those?

Well, I'm not quite ready to post them on my site yet, but I'll happily email them to you in the meantime if you gimme your address. PM it to me and I'll send them your way! =)
traviscarden

Vintage Brands Avatars

Post by traviscarden »

I completed my "Vintage Brands" avatar set and uploaded it this morning:

Stop by to download yours and see what else I have available. I've been averaging something like two or three new releases a day since the site went up. I'm up to 816 avatars in 57 sets! =)

Return to “[2.0.x] Styles Development & Discussion”