Can someone help?

This forum is now closed. Please ask all styles-related questions in the phpBB 3.0 Styles Support & Discussion Forum.
Shellfish

Can someone help?

Post by Shellfish »

I've two questions:
I've downloaded the subSilver Developper thing. There I find the subSilver SDK file. Do I need this file and for what?

Then: I want to design new buttons and so on and I use CorelPhotoshop for it which allows to save in .psd format (that's what you need, don't you?). How can I assure that the surroundings of the button are well transparent (for instance the gap between the outer circle of a circular button and the rather rectangular canvas borders?
Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

Adobe Photoshop is what is recommended for the SDK file. The SDK is used to change all the buttons and graphics to look the way you want them to.

As for "CorelPhotoshop", im not sure of the specifics of the program, but if it supports image slicing, it should turn out transparent.
Andrew Charron || alexis support forum || Specializing in phpBB website template integration
Hurry up, my feash is siek.
AndrewCharron.com version 5 released!
GRIPPER

Post by GRIPPER »

Adobe Photoshop is your best option ! he is correct !
Last edited by GRIPPER on Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shellfish

Post by Shellfish »

Thank you for your answer. With "slicing" do you mean layers?

How do I proceed to change all the buttons in the SDK file? Do I modify them and then take them out to save each of them under their specific name used by the tpl files?
Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

No, by slices, I mean slices. Layers are diffrent, but are required as well.

If slices are there, use any tool you want to edit the buttons, then click "Save for Web" or equivilant, and it should slice each button individually.
Andrew Charron || alexis support forum || Specializing in phpBB website template integration
Hurry up, my feash is siek.
AndrewCharron.com version 5 released!
Shellfish

Post by Shellfish »

Kazer0 wrote: No, by slices, I mean slices. Layers are diffrent, but are required as well.

If slices are there, use any tool you want to edit the buttons, then click "Save for Web" or equivilant, and it should slice each button individually.

Ah, I see. It's a sort of identifying each button (by some sort of algorithm) and to save it automatically to the filename (identically to the layer name?), isn't it? I should nevertheless be able to save each button under its own name by hand and it would do the same? To put it bluntly: can I design a button from scratch, save it under the right name and it would work?

Well, probably I've got to buy Photoshop, then, if not. Would Elements be sufficient?
Last edited by Shellfish on Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thatbitextra
Former Team Member
Location: A place where something is or could be located; a site.

Post by Thatbitextra »

No, slicing is just defining different areas of the image so that they can be saved seperately while still being able to work on them as one image. And you define them, not an algorythm. And Elements would probably suffice, but I'm not sure, so research it.
Styles KB
My MODs: Choose Who to Accept PMs From (Prevents unwanted PMs!) | Warn of Old Topic Before Posting Reply
Style: subBlack (Now updated to phpBB 2.0.22 and 5 new color schemes!)
Shellfish

Post by Shellfish »

So, actually it's a comfort feature. I should then be able to design a button from scratch and it would work if I saved it under its right name, wouldn't it?
Thatbitextra
Former Team Member
Location: A place where something is or could be located; a site.

Post by Thatbitextra »

Sure, as long as the image was only the button and no other stuff you didn't want as part of the button.
Styles KB
My MODs: Choose Who to Accept PMs From (Prevents unwanted PMs!) | Warn of Old Topic Before Posting Reply
Style: subBlack (Now updated to phpBB 2.0.22 and 5 new color schemes!)
Shellfish

Post by Shellfish »

Thx.
(...) and no other stuff you didn't want as part of the button.

Yes, I think this is the harder part of this (especially avoiding to save those parts who should be transparent (for instance the background). I've not yet figured out if it works with CorelDraw.
simplescrapskathy

Post by simplescrapskathy »

I think Elements would work for you. But, if this is the only reason you're going to buy it, download the free trial of it or Photoshop CS at adobe.com .

Good luck!
Shellfish

Post by Shellfish »

Thx
I think I'm goint to by it. After I've bought a new computer

Return to “[2.0.x] Styles Development & Discussion”