editing overall_header kills my board

This forum is now closed. Please ask all styles-related questions in the phpBB 3.0 Styles Support & Discussion Forum.
skope

editing overall_header kills my board

Post by skope »

please follow this link http://www.sourceunknown.net/message. You will notice that I edited overall_footer to add a nav bar, easy enough. But when I tried to edit overall_header it dissapears and all my formatting is gone. I assure you overall_header is the only file I altered (other than overall_footer). I did not modify any tags, actually, as I was trying to trouble shoot this myself, all I added was the letter a to the overall_header template. I kept a back-up of the original overall_header because this problem has happened repeatedly. When I use the backed up file to overwrite the edited one everything goes back to normal.

Hope that is a clear explanation.
Thanks
Luke.
skope

Post by skope »

the thing that confuses me the most is I uses the exact same procedure to edit overall_header and footer. It worked just fine with the footer every time but with the header it f'k's my board up every time. I am using Dreamweaver 8 although I have tried editing the code with MS word which gave me the same results.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.
SAK `

Post by SAK ` »

If you were playing with the CSS in the worst way or even where you forgot to specify an external stylesheet in overall_header, then that might've been a potential problem. By default, your style settings in ACP is what's held responsible for bringing up your board.

Is it your CSS that potentially screwed your board up or was it the misplacement of tables?

Cheers!
The Serial AD Killa trademark is no more. 2003-2007
skope

Post by skope »

Nah, I didn't mess with the CSS at all. After I started having this issue I removed the board and started from scratch. I didn't change any styles, I opened overall_footer with Dreamweaver, added a nav bar and put it back on the server. That worked just fine. So I followed the same procedure with overall_header, I opened it with Dreamweaver and as a test all I did was add a bit of text to the body, being extremely careful not to change any of the html tags. I saved it and uploaded it to the server the same way that I had uploaded overall_footer. Overall_header was gone from the page and all my CSS formatting was gone. I had saved a backup of the original overall_header template, so I used that to overwrite the edited overall_header file on the server and everything was back to normal.
I dont freaking get this, as far as I know I am doing everything correct.
napy8gen

Post by napy8gen »

either its a dreamweaver bug or ftp uploader bug..seems to be dw8 bug.cause it happens to me for my index_body.tpl file..
skope

Post by skope »

Yes, I have to agree, because I just had the same thing happen with my index_body.tpl. So strange though because I have not had any problem when I edit overall_footer.

My hypothesis is that it is altering some code that integrates the template with the message board, causing the templates to not load correctly and as a result my CSS styles do not load either. It works with overall_footer because it is the last thing that gets loaded, I guess. still very strange and annoying.
El Barto

Post by El Barto »

one more thing that u can do is that u create a nav bar just like in the footer and paste it in 'overall_header.tpl' file....
DO YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH YOUR FORUM STYLES?? ASK THE DOC. THE NAMES' BARTO, EL BARTO!!
skope

Post by skope »

Ok, so I thought it might be a Dreamweaver bug so I used Fetch to open the file in BBEdit. I added the word "test" to the template right under the line that says {site_description}, saved it and re-uploaded it to the server, the same thing, overall header disappears and all my CSS formatting is gone.

can someone recomend a work flow that has worked for them?

I am on a Mac
For FTP clients I have Fugu, Fetch and Cyber Duck, I use Fetch mostly.
For text editors I have MS Word 2004, BBEdit and text edit.
For WYSIWYG programs I have Dreamweaver and Go Live but I don't use Go Live ever.

Any possible answers would be greatly appreciated. If you e-mail me lrsulliv@uvm.edu I will perform the edit and kill my board so you can see exactly what I am experiencing, for now I have left overall_header as is so my board doesn't look like shit.

Thanks in advance
Last edited by skope on Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SAK `

Post by SAK ` »

can you go into overall_header and try just this code (without using functions)?

Code: Select all

<link rel="stylesheet" src="templates/subSilver/subSilver.css">
The Serial AD Killa trademark is no more. 2003-2007
skope

Post by skope »

you mean just copy and paste that code so it is the only code on the page?
I'll try that though I'm not sure exactly what you mean.

Return to “[2.0.x] Styles Development & Discussion”