can this be done?

This forum is now closed. Please ask all styles-related questions in the phpBB 3.0 Styles Support & Discussion Forum.
DWFII
Name: D.W.

can this be done?

Post by DWFII »

After running a Discus forum for about eight years, I am looking closely at PHPBB. But with a board that well established and that old, I don't really want to alter the "look and feel" that my members have come like and be comfortable with...at least not too much.

When I first started looking at PHPBB, I thought that a framed board might be impossible. I'm still not sure one way or the other.

I would like to duplicate (as close as possible) the look of this board:

http://www.bootmaker.com/images/CC_capture_2.png

Can it be done? Can it be done with frames? If not can it be done with a sidebar?

And finally, is there a style or template that will get me close?

(PS. as a neophyte with php and PHPBB, please excuse me if my terminology isn't quite right.)

DWFII
In the high desert of Central Oregon
Greenweaver
Former Team Member

Post by Greenweaver »

Hi, short answer to a long question is yes. With a lot of time and effort you will be able to replicate the current set up you have just now. If you do decide to do that, it will probably take a great deal of your time editing a style for it. You could use frames if you want - a simple nav on the left side and then your forum on the right is certainly possible (bear in mind that the phpbb navigation will be at the top also on the right hand frameset - so they will need to use 2 navs).

With the above said, the question would be now that your users are familar with using a forum, maybe it is time to introduce them to a better forum - phpbb? Maybe now is the time to introduce some new ideas and freshen the existing set up. This is not a criticism so I hope you dont take it that way - all I am saying is have some faith in your users and if its time to upgrade then so be it. Give them an announcement and let them know to expect the change, you never know they may enjoy it and find it is actually easier to use.

I cant really think of a style off the top of my head simliar to what you are looking for, but take a look through the styles section to see if you like anything there, you can find them here:
http://www.phpbb.com/styles/demo.php

Either way good luck
Modage: Page Title Number MOD
Linkage: Find me at Styles Support & Discussion | Get a new style | Customise your style | phpBB userguide
Noteage:
Graphics requests to members over 20 posts and genuine phpbb requirements | I do not provide custom psd files
DWFII
Name: D.W.

Post by DWFII »

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

A follow-up...? Is there a way to create a sidebar in place of the LH frame and get rid of the nav along the top of the Forum?

I am ready to move to newer and better forum software...I'm already among the convinced...but the forum "style" we've been running is so compatible with our organization and our "self image" that I really would like to retain as much of that "antique" look and feel as is possible. The organization that supports the forum is a 501 C-3, non-profit, tax-exempt educational Trade Guild catering to the "bespoke" boot and shoemaking trade. Our guild is allied with another guild in London that has its roots in medieval England. We deliberately cultivate a 19th century image.

One other quick question...does anyone create styles for a fee?
DWFII
In the High Desert of Central Oregon
Greenweaver
Former Team Member

Post by Greenweaver »

Yeah I understand you completely on what you say, phpbb does not allow recruiting so im afraid you wont be able to try that. Although taking a look I did find this style which is pretty much not too far off what you are looking for - I think!

Take a look here:
http://www.phpbb.com/styles/demo.php

Use the drop down menu to find the "Raid" style
Modage: Page Title Number MOD
Linkage: Find me at Styles Support & Discussion | Get a new style | Customise your style | phpBB userguide
Noteage:
Graphics requests to members over 20 posts and genuine phpbb requirements | I do not provide custom psd files
mama_soap

Post by mama_soap »

Here you are...

This is just to emphasize that it can be done - it's far from a complete style - I a. did not have the time, b. was not sure if you really need it. Also, the differences between this and your screenshot can be reduced further - it's just a matter of spending more time, this is only to give you a rough indication of what can be done quickly.

If you are interested, I can get the whole thing to work :) I will need to know for sure, however, that you need the stuff - putting the entire thing together is much more work-intensive than doing just the front page.

Oh, and sorry that I did not include the forum descriptions... 'was too lazy :oops:

Edit: Updated a better screenie.

Return to “[2.0.x] Styles Development & Discussion”