[Release] DAJ_Glass (blue) for phpbb 2.0.22

This forum is now closed. Please ask all styles-related questions in the phpBB 3.0 Styles Support & Discussion Forum.
Robin Huurman

[Release] DAJ_Glass (blue) for phpbb 2.0.22

Post by Robin Huurman »

EDIT:

STYLE REMOVED
Last edited by Robin Huurman on Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:23 am, edited 4 times in total.
Nobody is perfect. I'm nobody.
Robin Huurman

Re: [Release] nicjasnodark (DAJ_Glass blue) for phpbb 2.0.22

Post by Robin Huurman »

No comments?
Arty
Former Team Member
Name: Vjacheslav Trushkin

Post by Arty »

It should be removed, just like other ripoffs that 3.0 styles forum was flooded with in last few days.
1. You didn't put link to original designer's website as it is in original design.
2. Did you get permission from DAJ_Glass designer to use his style as base for other style?
You might want to read this: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=387602
Vjacheslav Trushkin / Arty.
Free phpBB 3.1 styles | New project: Iconify - modern SVG framework
Robin Huurman

Post by Robin Huurman »

Check your pm.

And why are those ripoffs? It are just phpbb2.0 templates that people are so kind to convert to phpbb3. I don't see your point?
Arty
Former Team Member
Name: Vjacheslav Trushkin

Post by Arty »

I'll explain my point better: when basing your work on some other person's work you should ask original author for permission, and you should give proper credit, and you didn't do ether of it. You removed link to original designer's website, and you didn't ask him for permission to release this style.

Why I don't like it? Because it has been done to my styles many times. I've seen quite a lot of "releases" that used my code/images, usually on third party websites, not on phpbb.com, so it took some time for me to find out about those ripoffs. I don't like when someone uses my work without my permission, and as far as I've seen so are most other designers. It's a common courtesy to ask original designer permission, and in case if person is rude enough not to understand it, its clearly written in styles releases policy which is a sticky in 2.0 styles releases forum.
Vjacheslav Trushkin / Arty.
Free phpBB 3.1 styles | New project: Iconify - modern SVG framework
SAK `

Post by SAK ` »

Too bad Krezno does not have http://www.dumbassjones.com open anymore. :( But nice style, though!

$.@.K.
The Serial AD Killa trademark is no more. 2003-2007
Robin Huurman

Post by Robin Huurman »

Noboddy interested?
AG3nt42

Post by AG3nt42 »

this is nice template Robin, nice job :D
GemViper

Post by GemViper »

I agree with Mr Trushkin for the most part.

You removed credit from the original author, a major no-no. You've broken the GPL license by doing so which means you no longer have a license to use or distribute it, especially here where rules apply.

As for asking for permission I don't believe thats neccessary for any material that was GPL'd but CyberAliens view has merrit as well from a respectful and common courtesy perspective. Perhaps the original author was already updating it for 3.0 but you didnt ask.

Next time...

Step #1 - give the author a heads up of your intentions.
Step #2 - leave the original credit alone, add your credit along with a date and list of what you changed.
Step #3 - Make sure you include a copy of the GPL license with your final product to let others know their rights.

#2 and #3 you have no choice on... #1 is good practice. The style should be removed imo.
Robin Huurman

Post by Robin Huurman »

If you can't say anything normal, then don't say anyting at all! If you'd take some time to check it first before commenting you'd see the original copyright in there.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Robin Huurman wrote:If you can't say anything normal, then don't say anyting at all!
People are entitled to have an opinion :)

Just writing 'Based on Daj_Glass' at the bottom doesn't really constitute credit or permission.

Look at it this way. Say you made a style and someone duplicated it, change an icon colour from dark blue to light blue, gave it a new name and announced that they were releasing a new style, would you like it?

Why not make something fresh instead of 'borrowing' a large amount of work from someone else?
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
Robin Huurman

Post by Robin Huurman »

I'm (edit: makes the post a little bit more clear) NOT (<- this was the edit) releasing a new style, I just edited the colorscheme, skinned the admins section, and removed useless codes. And you have no idea how much work the colorscheme was. I had to remake all the images to match eachother. I'm not a photoshop professional. So I had to do it the difficult way. And am I not working on a own style?

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 4&t=548961
Last edited by Robin Huurman on Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
GemViper

Post by GemViper »

Technicaly no your not.

Take a ford mustang, redo the interior, custom paint, high hosepower mods etc... its still a ford mustang and you can't call it something else AND distribute it. If it was for your own use you can put a lamborghini emblem on it if you want to but if you try and distribute it... ford will have words with you very quickly.

same applies here. The GPL that came with the template you modified gave you the right to modify it and distribute it as long as you meet certain requirements.

inside the package there must be the following...
- attach a copy of the gpl to ensure the new user knows his rights.
- be clear that there is no waranty or else offer a waranty.
- note the change you made to the original version including date
- leave a way to reach you via email or snail mail.
- do not remove the original credit and do not claim to be the original author.

you have no choice on these issues.
Robin Huurman

Re: [Release] DAJ_Glass (blue) for phpbb 2.0.22

Post by Robin Huurman »

GemViper wrote:- attach a copy of the gpl to ensure the new user knows his rights.
what gpl? Am I missing something?
GemViper wrote:- be clear that there is no waranty or else offer a waranty.
Warranty? What do you mean with this, be clear.
GemViper wrote:- note the change you made to the original version including date.
Why would I do that, isn't that obvisious?
GemViper wrote:- leave a way to reach you via email or snail mail.
I am free to decide wheter to put my email in the template or not.
GemViper wrote:- do not remove the original credit and do not claim to be the original author.
Ok, you're right about this sorry. I changed the author thing, I'll change the original credit once I'm done.

I followed the rules, so I can't see the point of your posts anyway. You just want to make it match your thoughts. And wanna act like a stylesadmin. But wake up! you're not. Don't you think I followed this discussion with a stylesadmin yet?

Is it really that difficult to just say wheter you like it or not. What could be improved etc...?
wwwDIVISIONSTorg

Re: [Release] DAJ_Glass (blue) for phpbb 2.0.22

Post by wwwDIVISIONSTorg »

You seem rather hostile over such simple criticism man. The point it, you were wrong not to get permission to edit and distribute this theme first.

As someone who's only created two original themes of my own - I'd be rather upset if someone took credit for a theme I created. I busted my butt trying to learn all the different things that go into creating a new theme. And thankfully for me, there's an entire KNOWLEDGE BASE that helped me create the theme. It was pretty darn informative, and had pretty much all my answers in there for creating a new theme.

You'd be suprised as to how much time you put into rippingoff someone else's theme, could translate into you creating a new, never before seen theme for 2.0.x, you really would.

I know it's probably not my place to lecture you, but maybe you should listen to a few of the guys like Cyberalien and GemViper and Kevin Clark. I sure know CyberAlien and Kevin Clark have both helps me IMMENSELY in my questions I post up here, and they're always right on target with their feedback for me.

/rant

Return to “[2.0.x] Styles Development & Discussion”