iTunes (Brushed Aluminum) Theme

This forum is now closed. Please ask all styles-related questions in the phpBB 3.0 Styles Support & Discussion Forum.
Wolferl

iTunes (Brushed Aluminum) Theme

Post by Wolferl » Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:55 am

Just started working on this Last night. I have yet to do the board colors and elements... but you can get a good idea what I have in mind here.

Check it out... Test Forum

Notice the bottons have no text labels, when you hover over them a description appears in the LCD display below the page title.

I thought about doing this with flash, but I pulled it off with only javascript, with some help with fireworks. I'll have the theme completely finished in a couple days, maybe.
Last edited by Wolferl on Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Del Scoville
GetDataGelp.Com Peer to Peer Technical Support

Cross_+_Flame

Post by Cross_+_Flame » Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:07 am

wow, that LCD screen is neat. Really neat. Did you write the script yourself, or is it downloadable and customizable somewhere?

Nice! It looks smooth...brushed smooth, even :D

MobileBadBoy

Post by MobileBadBoy » Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:15 am

Pretty cool. The nav buttons look good. With that alignment problem in the upper corners fixed, and the rest of the board done, I imagine it to look pretty good.

One thing I did notice, and it's minor. The brushed metal above the board and below and around it clashes at the edges with the brushed metal for the background. :) (Well, I see it apparently only does it above 800x600).

Wolferl

Post by Wolferl » Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:19 am

Cross_+_Flame wrote: wow, that LCD screen is neat. Really neat. Did you write the script yourself, or is it downloadable and customizable somewhere?

Nice! It looks smooth...brushed smooth, even :D

I used The Gimp to draw everything (while listening to itunes and using it as a reference) I drew the whole thing as one picture (buttons and all) in fact I drew 3 versions with 3 different color bottons, each one being a frame in a PNG file, then I sliced it up in fireworks and produced much of the scripting within fireworks as I set properties for each slice and how they relate to other slices. The animated title is just a 15 frame GIF, simular to a banner add.
To customize the LCD, all that needs to be done is change the text with a paint program.
Del Scoville

Arty
Former Team Member
Name: Vjacheslav Trushkin

Post by Arty » Thu Mar 13, 2003 7:39 am

very nice.

there is one small problem - bottom corners are incorrect (browsing with Opera 6.05). and i hope when you'll be releasing that theme you'll compress all images because it is huge right now.
Vjacheslav Trushkin / Arty.
Free phpBB 3.1 styles | New project: Iconify - modern SVG framework

Wolferl

Post by Wolferl » Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:23 am

I have been working on alignment...
Top alignment is good on all the browsers I tested (Explorer 5.01, Netscape 7.0, and Safari)
Explorer both top and bottom look good. on Safari the bottom is -1 px off, and on Netscape the bottom is +1 pix off. I hate to have to write some script to do a test for browser to accomidate everyone... ah well... Anyone know more specifics about these browsers to tell me what's going on?

Other than alignment issues, all I need to do is create new elements to replace the subsilver ones (specifically the yellow/blue ones), and then optimize the images. I have hi-speed internet, so I have no idea on load time for modem... anyone have a stopwatch and a modem? :) would like to get a couple benchmarks so I can tell if I'm actually optimizing something.

When I release it, I will supply some blanks so people can customize the LCD display.
Del Scoville

MobileBadBoy

Post by MobileBadBoy » Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:44 am

Total Page Size: 69179 Bytes
Total Objects on the Site: 76

HTML Size: 35415 Bytes

Connection Speed - Download Time

14.4K - 41.3 seconds

28.8K - 20.65 seconds

56K - 10.44 seconds

128K - ISDN 4.32 seconds

1.44MB T1 - 0.46 seconds

According to http://www.echoecho.com.

Takes about 5 to 6 seconds to load completely for me on cable, after having been there already.

I see the top alignment is fixed. :)

JBEdigital

Post by JBEdigital » Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:53 am

Took about 25 seconds for me on 56k. Not bad considering all the images.

hakuna matata

Post by hakuna matata » Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:01 pm

i like the graphics, but i would strongly recommend modifying the colors you use for the board... the blue seems to not go very well...

Wolferl

Post by Wolferl » Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:16 am

I played around with the color in the forum... made it more OSX-like. I am also working on a lesser graphics intensive version, that will look better with the bottons to the left and right of the LCD display and no more clashing seams! I am also working on some shiny aluminum-looking post/reply buttons. the rest I borrowed from the F1AppleBlue theme as they are exactly the look I wanted and no point in reinventing the wheel.

beta.getdatahelp.com
Del Scoville

Daz

Post by Daz » Tue Mar 18, 2003 1:29 pm

Hi,

If you are going to release this theme you should really make your own images.

I may give permission if you ask and make assurances that credit will be given.
Please and Thank You works wonders...
I reserve the right to post illogical (and totally wrong) replies.
...It's the subtle perfection in attention to detail that makes your work rock the way it does - cdkrg
Think simple - it's not necessarily what you draw that matters, it's what you perceive - Daz

Note: ForumImages<dot>com is no longer anything to do with me.

Wolferl

Post by Wolferl » Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:46 pm

Daz wrote: Hi,

If you are going to release this theme you should really make your own images.

I may give permission if you ask and make assurances that credit will be given.

I am contemplating whether or not to make all new images. My first original thought was to make the area around the forum and whatever anyone wants inside. But that would be too difficult for the ordinary php admin to do, rewriting all the tpl files.. etc.
So eventually, I think it will have all my own graphics throughout... I started making icons resembling OSX folders, and then noticed someone already did it... so now I have to think of something else. lol. Maybe easier to just ask and give credit. Notice I mentioned who the items came from in an earlier post.. so I am in no way taking credit for someone elses work.... mostly just playing with the look until I make a final decision.

If I do proceed to use your work, I'll ask first :)
Del Scoville

kronos

Post by kronos » Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:55 pm

Really cool, but the page uses many images, and it takes long time to load.

The Spy

Post by The Spy » Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:50 am

i think it looks great. only 1 thing i don't really like and that is the color of the font for forum, posts, topics, and last posts. i think it would look better either with white or light grey text. it's kinda hard to read in black. other than that i think it is awesome.
"I'm just a figment of your imagination."

Wolferl

Post by Wolferl » Wed Mar 19, 2003 5:08 am

The Spy wrote: i think it looks great. only 1 thing i don't really like and that is the color of the font for forum, posts, topics, and last posts. i think it would look better either with white or light grey text. it's kinda hard to read in black. other than that i think it is awesome.

Yeah, I've been giving that some thought too. hi contrast is hard on my eyes.
Del Scoville

Return to “[2.0.x] Styles Development & Discussion”