Just how customizable is "fully" customizable?

This forum is now closed. Please ask all styles-related questions in the phpBB 3.0 Styles Support & Discussion Forum.
Shadowyng

Just how customizable is "fully" customizable?

Post by Shadowyng » Thu Apr 17, 2003 6:22 am

Hello!

I am considering installing phpBB on my website to run my forums, but, no offense, I can't stand the prefab templates that I see in use on the phpBBs that I have visited. In the demo it says you can make your own templates and so on, and having surfed around these forums I see people talking about integrating the boards with websites, but since I've never actually *seen* this done in what I would consider a full customization, I am hesitant to go through the whole process of getting phpBB set up on my site.

My current board is here, and with a few minor exceptions, I would want my phpBB board to look exactly the same. I checked the first three pages of this forum to see if there were any relevant topics (and I looked at the New Template tutorial) but I still feel I don't know if I can achieve the look I would like. Is it possible?

Thanks muchly for any help!

r2tincan

Post by r2tincan » Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:54 pm

Your forum is restricted from unregistered viewing.

One thing I can promise you, that anything that EZboard can look like, PHPBB can do. Forum integration with websites is very possible. There is also PHPNuke ect ports so you can integrate PHPNuke posting systems with PHPBB.

Anyway, PHPBB beats the pants off Ezboard, I wouldn't give a 2nd thought to switching.
R2TinCan
www.swgpvp.com Webmaster

sternzy

Post by sternzy » Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:06 pm

I agree...I just installed phpBB2 and it was incredibly easy, the forum is fast, doesnt error for me at all, and it's active.(theres peeps out there making all kinds of mods and themes) 8)

Shadowyng

Post by Shadowyng » Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:52 pm

Oops! Sorry, forgot about the security. I turned it down so you can have a look.

Thanks for the reassurances! Would someone please take a peek at my board just to make sure?

Of course, the challenge will be to actually make the board look like that...

Thanks again!

Shadowyng

Post by Shadowyng » Fri Apr 18, 2003 11:08 pm

Here's another question then, if I don't need to worry about not being able to make my board look like the one I already have. Is there a way to experiment with the templates and layout on my computer, or can I only fiddle with it online?

rubbersoul

Post by rubbersoul » Fri Apr 18, 2003 11:29 pm

Hey shadow,
How'd ya do the effect with the forum headings? Kinda looks like a bit of a rollover...I like it!

Shadowyng

Post by Shadowyng » Sat Apr 19, 2003 12:11 am

You mean the link fade in/out? It's a javascript. If you give me your email address I can send you the code for it!

chAos
Former Team Member

Post by chAos » Sat Apr 19, 2003 12:13 am

Hi,

phpBB could be changed to look like that.

The only thing it couldn't do (from what i can see) without a mod, is the different way it shows topics (threaded view i think it's called).

Shadowyng

Post by Shadowyng » Sat Apr 19, 2003 1:41 am

Wonderful!

I don't actually use the threaded view on that board layout; I keep it all collapsed and surf it like a regular forum.

Thanks so much for letting me know it's all good! Now I just need to figure out how to make the template. Will I be able to do that and view the changes on my computer without having the board installed on my server?

Evil Fish

Post by Evil Fish » Sat Apr 19, 2003 1:59 am

Shadowyng wrote: Here's another question then, if I don't need to worry about not being able to make my board look like the one I already have. Is there a way to experiment with the templates and layout on my computer, or can I only fiddle with it online?

you can run a server on your local system this will allow you to experiment with stuff on your system :D . Just make sure that the server you install has php support. I recommend Abyss if you're on Windows, thats what I use :D

Shadowyng

Post by Shadowyng » Sat Apr 19, 2003 2:08 am

Thanks for the info! Where can I get Abyss from?

A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut » Sat Apr 19, 2003 2:20 am

http://www.download.com or direct http://www.aprelium.com/ It runs well, if a bit slowly on my comp.
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish

Shadowyng

Post by Shadowyng » Sat Apr 19, 2003 3:07 am

Thanks... I went and got it, downloaded it, and it doesn't work. It installed fine but when I get to here (from the Getting Started document)

"Abyss Web Server creates automatically a configuration file where it stores the web server's parameters. Then, it opens the browser and displays the console."

the config document creates fine, but when the browser opens I get "500 Internal Server error". The Troubleshooting guide wasn't any help; I'm not running any proxies at all. ^^;

GPHemsley
Name: Gordon Hemsley

Post by GPHemsley » Sat Apr 19, 2003 3:19 am

I'm kinda having a problem with it too... anyone know how to configure the PHP? I installed the PHP thingy @ D:\PHP instead of C:\PHP and when I go to configure the server it says it does not exist... Any suggestions?
Last edited by GPHemsley on Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shadowyng

Post by Shadowyng » Sat Apr 19, 2003 4:10 am

I decided to skip Abyss altogether and just install on my site and deal with it there... Now I need to go and find a tutorial that explains in plain English how to do the DSN stuff. ^^;;

Return to “[2.0.x] Styles Development & Discussion”