Final call, community input on XML MOD Template

This forum is now closed as part of retiring phpBB2.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

This forum is now closed due to phpBB2.0 being retired.
smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Final call, community input on XML MOD Template

Post by smithy_dll » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:26 am

The MOD Team has reviewed and implemented many of the suggestions made in the original call for community input to the XML MOD Template found here.

If in doubt what this is all about please read the original community input topic linked above.

To see the changed we have implemented you can view a sample mock template here. Not all suggestions were taken on board, so if your suggestion wasn't taken on board there was likely a good reason why it wasn't.

This is your final chance to get your two cents in and possibly get the template altered. Once the template has been finalised by the 10th of July no more changes will be accepted except in special circumstances.

Thank you to everyone who has given input on this, 8)

afterlife_69
I've Been Banned!

Post by afterlife_69 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:29 am

Looks very good... But how are we to be writing these templates up, and are they EMC?

battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:44 pm

From what I have seen there will be a *.mod -> *.xml converter.

I'll put in a comment on the layout, I think all but the header with the author info etc is fine.
Country Flags

This mod allows your registered board members
to select the flag of their country. Their flag
will then display thoughout the phpBB system.

* Version: 2.2.2a
* Installation Level: Easy
* Installation Time: ~47 minutes

Author(s)

* Username: Nuttzy99
* Email: pktoolkit@blizzhackers.com
* Realname: Nuttzy
* WWW: http://www.blizzhackers.com

* Username: abelaJohnb
* Email: abela@4cm.com
* Realname: John B. Abela
* WWW: n/a

1) Text would look so much better in Verdana 10 rather than 12 (I think I suggested this in the previous thread, I feel quite strongly about it though :))
2) Rather than Author(s) maybe Author Information would be better, the (s) makes it look messy really.
3) 'Author(s)' & 'Country Flags' should be aligned with the bullets, it looks strange being left aligned.

Other than that it looks quite nice (although I am fond of the old text MOD file 8))

Cheers :)
Customisations Team Member

smithy_dll
Former Team Member

Post by smithy_dll » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:59 pm

Like I said in the other topic, we're not commenting on the example XSL Transformation, we're commenting on the XML schema.

The Text Template will be kept (as said in the other topic again).

EMC hasn't been defined.

battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:04 pm

smithy_dll wrote: The Text Template will be kept (as said in the other topic again).

I know, I was just commenting that I prefer the text files over this, but I can see this is a step forward and there are many advantages.
Customisations Team Member

webmacster87
Former Team Member
Name: Douglas Bell

Post by webmacster87 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:05 pm

I'm looking at the new mock-up and notice that except for the last operation, there are only Finds and In-Line Finds, and another box, without instructions on where to add it (before or after). Is this an oversight/can it be fixed?

wGEric
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Faerber

Post by wGEric » Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:06 pm

Fountain of Apples wrote: I'm looking at the new mock-up and notice that except for the last operation, there are only Finds and In-Line Finds, and another box, without instructions on where to add it (before or after). Is this an oversight/can it be fixed?

Thats a problem with the XSL and not the actual XML.
Eric

GPHemsley
Name: Gordon Hemsley

Post by GPHemsley » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:57 pm

I'm wondering if it should use <![CDATA[ ]]> markup for the action commands, instead of having to escape them. Although it's fine for the convertor, people may want to write these by hand, and it'd be very awkward and tedious to have to go through and escape all the various characters.

Also, could you stick to one format for the ChangeLog dates? :P

webmacster87
Former Team Member
Name: Douglas Bell

Post by webmacster87 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:59 pm

Just to confirm, the end user WILL be able to convert from the XML template to the Text template, right?

smithy_dll
Former Team Member

Post by smithy_dll » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:42 am

Fountain of Apples wrote: Just to confirm, the end user WILL be able to convert from the XML template to the Text template, right?

Yes, when possible
Also, could you stick to one format for the ChangeLog dates? :Razz:

Their the exact same format (one minus timezone information)
I'm wondering if it should use <![CDATA[ ]]> markup for the action commands, instead of having to escape them. Although it's fine for the convertor, people may want to write these by hand, and it'd be very awkward and tedious to have to go through and escape all the various characters.

Read: http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xml11-200 ... cdata-sect
CDATA sections are independent of an XML schema and are an element of XML design which may be used in any schema for whatever reason. Therefore you should feel free to use them if you so wish.

GPHemsley
Name: Gordon Hemsley

Post by GPHemsley » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:28 am

smithy_dll wrote:
Also, could you stick to one format for the ChangeLog dates? :P

Their the exact same format (one minus timezone information)

Maybe you should keep them uniform in the example to demonstrate BCP?
smithy_dll wrote:

Read: http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xml11-200 ... cdata-sect
CDATA sections are independent of an XML schema and are an element of XML design which may be used in any schema for whatever reason. Therefore you should feel free to use them if you so wish.

This should also be demonstrated as BCP, no? It seems to be the easiest method to implement (at least, for an author using the XML template manually).

bcs10

Post by bcs10 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:18 am

personally i am confused what the point of the XML MOD Template would be...
/DD

smithy_dll
Former Team Member

Post by smithy_dll » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:37 am

bcs10 wrote: personally i am confused what the point of the XML MOD Template would be...

Among arguments for is the following;

How many languages does phpBB support? some 50 odd
How many languages is a Text Template MOD accessible to? 1, even if translations are included a basic understanding of English is still required.

bcs10

Post by bcs10 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:45 am

smithy_dll wrote:
bcs10 wrote:personally i am confused what the point of the XML MOD Template would be...

How many languages is a Text Template MOD accessible to? 1, even if translations are included a basic understanding of English is still required.
ah ha... in this case i think it would be great... but what i am still missing is how it would no longer require basic understanding of english...

and if the is an XML MOD template will there still be the traditional txt mod template?
/DD

smithy_dll
Former Team Member

Post by smithy_dll » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:20 am

bcs10 wrote:
smithy_dll wrote:
bcs10 wrote:personally i am confused what the point of the XML MOD Template would be...

ah ha... in this case i think it would be great... but what i am still missing is how it would no longer require basic understanding of english...

and if the is an XML MOD template will there still be the traditional txt mod template?

That was answered in the previous topic. i.e. Yes the Text Template will still be in use for those who want to use it or do not require extra features provided by the XML Template.

A basic understanding of english is avoided by the translation of the entire viewable template using XSLT and all language input sections including comments, description etc... can be translated inside the template.

Even the MOD Title can be translated. The entire translation of the XSL can be displayed in the users native language if supported by the MOD.

Even though code comments are in english you will agree with me that most people who install MODs wouldn't be able to understand the code even if they spoke English as a first language. Use of easyMOD then can further turn it into a true multilinguial experience.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Writers Discussion”