MODing's Most Wanted

This forum is now closed as part of retiring phpBB2.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

This forum is now closed due to phpBB2.0 being retired.
smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll »

Please give me a bit of time, it hasn't even been 24 hours, and I live on the other side of the world to most of you.

The whole point of this is to get things complete and into one big awesome set of MODs which are complete in concept. (and of course getting them submitted into the MOD DB). Linking to us out of date MODs from 2002 and never updated and saying it's been done won't satisfy the criteria.

Some of these MODs are easy, some are a challenge, there is a whole range identified here some for individuals, and some where you might want to form a team.

For example, while it's great having a tutorial on how to add extra profile fields in the code yourself, it doesn't help those who just can't do it themselves (for whatever reason).

Does it matter if none of these MODs get made? Not really, the point is that alot of people have been requesting some of these MODs, and Authors have been telling me they can't find good MODs to create. So we decided to create a small list of MODs we think Authors have been wanting to find in the MOD Requests forum, but have been unable to find.

I will also say this lastly to end my post. Please only apply if you feel you are able to complete the MOD. For the moment, just PM me telling me a little bit about what you intend to do, and wether you would be willing to work in a team if someone else applies to do the same MOD as you apply for.

If all the projects are assigned to and people still want more of a list, I'm sure that we can find some other gems that have become lost in time and no-longer work for the phpBB2.0.0 line, or have just become permanently lost.
Systems Engineering
Hater

Post by Hater »

The profile fields would be best forwarded to ptirhiik who's User Control Panel, included with his new Categories Hierarchy, will do exactly this and more. Sadly, I've already made many of these MODs myself, but they are very Categories Hierarchy specific and I do not plan on digressing. :(
oc5iD

Post by oc5iD »

If thats the case, then both Acyd Burn and OXPUS have been valued contributers to phpBB, I only stated those modifications above as suggestions to contacting those authors themselvse and requesting that they submit them to the MODDB rather having assign a project team to build up these two "wanted" modifications from scratch. Whether or not they are DBAL compliant, translateable, EasyMOD compadible these can be adjusted by the original authors or anyone who gains permissions of the authors.

I agree with this. These mods are already made and the original authors should be contacted for "first bite of the cherry." In my opinion, there are reasons why mod authors dont submit mods to the MOD db ( apart from mods pending security checks ). I find the strict rules on changing the topic to the current status of the development a farse, and to be constantly reminded by "rule enforcers" to adhere to this rule is more annoying. If the rules were more relaxed, Im sure more people (including myself) would be encouraged to develop and submit mods.

Instead of asking people to recreate or edit mods that already exist, why not create a list of mods that users have asked for, which nobody has ever taken up. Just look through the mod request forum and you will find many interesting mods that have never been followed up. Wouldnt this be a better idea?
webmacster87
Former Team Member
Name: Douglas Bell

Post by webmacster87 »

Don't contact wGEric. smithy_dll is the one who is managing the list.
Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec »

oc5iD wrote:
If thats the case, then both Acyd Burn and OXPUS have been valued contributers to phpBB, I only stated those modifications above as suggestions to contacting those authors themselvse and requesting that they submit them to the MODDB rather having assign a project team to build up these two "wanted" modifications from scratch. Whether or not they are DBAL compliant, translateable, EasyMOD compadible these can be adjusted by the original authors or anyone who gains permissions of the authors.

I agree with this. These mods are already made and the original authors should be contacted for "first bite of the cherry." In my opinion, there are reasons why mod authors dont submit mods to the MOD db ( apart from mods pending security checks ). I find the strict rules on changing the topic to the current status of the development a farse, and to be constantly reminded by "rule enforcers" to adhere to this rule is more annoying. If the rules were more relaxed, Im sure more people (including myself) would be encouraged to develop and submit mods.

Instead of asking people to recreate or edit mods that already exist, why not create a list of mods that users have asked for, which nobody has ever taken up. Just look through the mod request forum and you will find many interesting mods that have never been followed up. Wouldnt this be a better idea?

from two posts above:
smithy_dll wrote: The whole point of this is to get things complete and into one big awesome set of MODs which are complete in concept. (and of course getting them submitted into the MOD DB). Linking to us out of date MODs from 2002 and never updated and saying it's been done won't satisfy the criteria.

And I couldn't agree more. I mean, the authors themselves have said "nope, not working on this one anymore" then why should they be bugged that updates are needed since new versions came out?

As for the rules, personally I find them not at all strict, I mean, if the status of your topic bothers you so much, don't make a topic at all. If it bothers you that your cod ewill be checked for bugs, security leaks and compatibility... well then you're the problem. I mean, it's hard enough to get MODs working together as it is, without the validation team there would be hardly a chance.
Like, I remember from 1.9.9 where everyone just use replaces, it was almost impossible to have more than one MOD installed on the board. I used to spend hours upon hours just trying to get two MODs working together.

Rules are there to keep order amongst the sheep, and the sheep are there to listen to the rules. 'tis how it works.
WeAz

Post by WeAz »

Application Sent. Good luck, everyone!

-WeAz
wGEric
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Faerber

Post by wGEric »

Fountain of Apples wrote: Don't contact wGEric. smithy_dll is the one who is managing the list.

I decided to accept applications to lessen the load on David. So anyone can send applications to me or David (Don't send one to both of us).
Eric
TerraFrost
Former Team Member

Post by TerraFrost »

To add to this...

Whomever said that having multiple MODs doing the same thing was a bad thing? How is this any worse than there being multiple message board packages? Besides, if Microsoft's innovation has been stiffled by its being a monopoly (a claim that many seem to make), why wouldn't the innovation of existing MODs be stifled by their having an effective monopoly? Also, just because you can't imagine how the MOD could be any better doesn't mean someone else can't.

Also...
I find the strict rules on changing the topic to the current status of the development a farse, and to be constantly reminded by "rule enforcers" to adhere to this rule is more annoying. If the rules were more relaxed, Im sure more people (including myself) would be encouraged to develop and submit mods.

MODs submitted to our database aren't required to have begun their life in the MOD Development forum. That forum is there to help you, but if you chose not to use it, that is your prerogative. It has no bearing on whether or not the MOD is, ultimately, accepted into our database.
crazy4sims

Re: MODing's Most Wanted

Post by crazy4sims »

so your saying that 3.0 is nearly done?

edit: moderator
phantomk
Name: Daniel Lee

Re: MODing's Most Wanted

Post by phantomk »

crazy4sims wrote: so your saying that 3.0 is nearly done?

What would give you that idea ...
And what is the point of quoteing the entire post ...
webmacster87
Former Team Member
Name: Douglas Bell

Post by webmacster87 »

We never said 3.0.0 was nearly done, we actually have no idea when it will be done (the Development Team likes to keep their secrets).
wGEric
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Faerber

Post by wGEric »

You have until Sunday, 11 December 2005 to apply for a project. On Sunday we will make assignments. We will continue to accept applications after that for projects that don't have anyone to work on them
Eric
WeAz

Post by WeAz »

I know you guys don't have a whole lot of time, but some sort of confirmation that you recieved our app would be nice.

Not completely necessary, but would be nice ;)

-WeAz
smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll »

If you sent it via our PM system to me or Eric, we got it.
Systems Engineering
dynamitecid99

Post by dynamitecid99 »

wGEric wrote:
dynamitecid99 wrote:For the custom profile fields thing...how 'bout this?

Is it in the MOD Database? No. The whole point of this is to get MODs like that one (or variations of them) into the MOD Database.

No no...i'm sorry...That was directed at anyone trying to make that mod...whether to get a continuation on it or to look at it for ideas...

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Writers Discussion”