BOT "Mod"

This forum is now closed as part of retiring phpBB2.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

This forum is now closed due to phpBB2.0 being retired.
Noobarmy

BOT "Mod"

Post by Noobarmy »

I'm looking to make a mod for BOTS. So that forum admins can insatall them and run them from the admin panels. I haven't eveloped any coding yet but thought i should show you my idea so you can think of how to improve the idea.

What it should do
  • Read and reply to posts by
    1. Reading the new post
    2. DEtecting what "type" the post is. This could be
      • Question
      • Welcome Message
      • Sarcastic Comment
      • Happy comment
      • Annoyed comment
    3. Then reacting to the post by picking up "parts" of the post and inputting it into its variety of responses.
  • Alert members via PM or email of developments:
    • If their added to a group
    • if they reach a post "mileston"(100/200 ect.)
    • If they are promoted in some way(moderator/admin)
  • Be a nice greeter and person to talk to on your forum! :lol:
What the admin will be able to control:
  • The name of the BOT
  • The language the BOT speaks. (i'll try and give it language packs so it can read and write in as many languages as possible)
  • Its ethnicity, intelligence and friendleness
  • Where it can and can't go in your forum
How i wish to do this:
  • To find out how to obtain the previous user's post is quite important
  • Then to send it to som sort of database where it is queried to find an appropriate response in co-ordinatation with the language, intelligence ect.
  • To then find out how i can get the BOT to reply to the topic with the response created
I am quite a NOOB so this might take a while. any help for the last few points (as to how to do it) it'ld be a great help. I appreciate all views.

Noobarmy
itsallgood

Post by itsallgood »

wow, this would be some project!

I've looked into Chat bot AI before, but that was for a VB app, and it was awhile ago. :wink:

First thing i thought was, how are you going to get it to reply after the message was posted? It would either be imidiatly after the person posted, or i think it might need a cron job (i think, im not sure).
How i wish to do this:

To find out how to obtain the previous user's post is quite important

Then to send it to som sort of database where it is queried to find an appropriate response in co-ordinatation with the language, intelligence ect.

To then find out how i can get the BOT to reply to the topic with the response created

Finding out the previous users post would be easy. It'd just be a SQL lookup, find the highest post id, like this:

Code: Select all

SELECT `post_text`
FROM `phpbb_posts_text` 
WHERE post_id = ( 
SELECT MAX( `post_id` ) 
FROM `phpbb_posts_text` ) 
That would get you the "text" from the post, you'd just then need to submit that to a database. (can i post links on here?) checkout pscode.com -- lookup Chat AI under visual basic, and look at how they work.

I dont think this would actually be "that hard" (if you have the Programming skills), i just dont think people wouldnt talk to it. it would be very dumb, and it would be much better to get real people on your forum for people to talk to. It would also use a lot of bandwidth for all these lookups, if your going to do it, maybe somthing a sever in VB that does everything on your home pc would work?

Let us know how you get on though mate, or if you find anything.

Regards.
christhatsme

Post by christhatsme »

this project will take years.

I would research AIML. Maybe you can customize some premade engine?

One that imediately comes to mind is pandorabot. not sure you can download that engine though, i'm sure there is one you can download and "train"
All MOD downloads should be back now - Sorry for that and serious lack of support! - If anyone wants to take over or help with any of my MODs the offer would be apreciated as I have little time for phpBB Modding recently!

Again very sorry for not supporting these MODs recently.
Noobarmy

Post by Noobarmy »

well i've always had a program which i made with my father long back which would talk to you. it was one of my first projects as a programmer and it still works. so im just gfonna jack all the responses from that and integrate it with my web designing stuff.

Thanks itsallgood that code helped. also im gonna make a general on-off switch for it so that its not constantly posting. its only posting say if i wasn't at home or if i can't b bothered to. Also there are around 30 real posters just i always found bots really cool.

Quick q. where would the code go that you provided itsallgood. would it be on the PHPBB php files or on a new one altogether?
TerraFrost
Former Team Member

Post by TerraFrost »

itsallgood wrote: It'd just be a SQL lookup, find the highest post id, like this:

Code: Select all

SELECT `post_text`
FROM `phpbb_posts_text` 
WHERE post_id = ( 
SELECT MAX( `post_id` ) 
FROM `phpbb_posts_text` ) 

Subqueries don't work on MySQL 4.0 or earlier. As such, I, personally, would stay away from them..
songdove

Post by songdove »

There already is a Forum AI bot mod someone wrote here that I installed on my own site. Might want to do a search in the mods database search area for "Forum AI" or something similar and you'll find it. AI files for this mod are available from several ALICE sites and I've installed several of them so far.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Writers Discussion”