MOD Packaging Policies

This forum is now closed as part of retiring phpBB2.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

This forum is now closed due to phpBB2.0 being retired.
ycl6
Translator

MOD Packaging Policies

Post by ycl6 »

All submitted MODs, depending on the format of the modification you are submitting, will have to comply with below the packaging policies

TEXT-based (Standard) format
  1. Single text file: this can be uploaded directely in .mod extension or archived in .zip extension
  2. Multiple files: According to the nature of the included files, they will be separated in to four folders: root, contrib, upgrades, translations. You may create more folders/sub-folders to hold your files if needed. You do not need to create these folders (or files) if you don't have them.
    1. Installation file is placed in the the Root directory, i.e. not within any sub-folders
    2. The Directory `/root` will hold all the included files, e.g. *.php, *.tpl, *.js, *.css.
    3. The Directory `/contrib` folder will hold your upgrade files, screenshots and additional documentations.
    4. The Directory `/translations` folder will contain your MOD MODX/TEXT install files for languages other than English
    5. The Directory `/templates` folder will contain your MOD install files for templates other than the standard phpBB template, subSilver

MODX (XML) format

There is a detailed guide for packaging of your MODX MODification, available here. Please refer to the guide for more information.

Validation Policies
We will not deny your MOD if this is the only problem we found in your submitted MOD. However, we will repack the MOD for you and approve the repacked version. Please remember to use the above suggested structure in the future submissions.

~Mac
Selven

Post by Selven »

It is obvious as the persons that other languages speak do not have the same rights of the English ones
If installation files aren't in root Easymod not recognize this!
In fact this rules lead some comma of evry civility constitution.
No-more supporting phpBB
wGEric
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Faerber

Post by wGEric »

English is the primary language of phpbb.com (I'm talking about this site not phpBB). That is why we require MOD instructions to be in English and translations to go in a separate folder.

What EasyMOD does has nothing to do with our standards. EasyMOD will be written to work with our standards. We won't change our standards to fit with EasyMOD.
Eric
Selven

Post by Selven »

attach mod 2.4.5 09/17/2006 not follow this but is released anyway ;)
ip_unmasker 1.0.0 09/02/2006 not follow this but is released anyway ;)
No-more supporting phpBB
wGEric
Former Team Member

Post by wGEric »

We aren't strict on making sure author's follow these guidelines. We are strict with the way MODX MODs are packaged though. There are certain files that need to be there in order for MODX to work correctly.
Eric
evepowr

Post by evepowr »

Can you link me real fast to those things needed wGEric so i can look it over thanks.
wGEric
Former Team Member

Post by wGEric »

http://www.phpbb.com/mods/modx/quickstart_files.zip

It's the quick start files which is linked from the MODX section.
Eric
asinshesq
Name: Alan

Re: MOD Packaging Policies

Post by asinshesq »

I just tried meal for the first time (really cool) and it is telling me that I have "Incorrect MOD Author Syntax". Has the plain text mod template changed? And where is the plain text mod template now (I can no longer find it on this forum)? I thought that we were not required to move to modx for phpbb2 mods...is that incorrect?

By the way, this is the mod author line it didn't like:

Code: Select all

## MOD Author: asinshesq < N/A > (Alan) N/A
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

Must have been some weird code in there, because I've now got it working.

But it still fails meal because an upgrade mod in the contrib folder gives the step by step upgrade isntructions for a file the mod adds and meal thinks it is mistaken in trying to 'edit' a file that is not in a clean phpbb2 board. I assume I can ignore that error, correct?
ycl6
Translator

Post by ycl6 »

asinshesq wrote:But it still fails meal because an upgrade mod in the contrib folder gives the step by step upgrade isntructions for a file the mod adds and meal thinks it is mistaken in trying to 'edit' a file that is not in a clean phpbb2 board. I assume I can ignore that error, correct?
That's correct, if this case, you may ignore the warning

~Mac
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

Not sure where to post this, so I'll try here.

One of my mod upgrades just got validated with a note from the reviewer saying I didn't need to include report.htm from meal. I included that in the last few mods because I thought that was required in order to save validator time and I thought that when the mod got validated the validators would remove that file (since it is inherently confusing, especially given the number of warnings it generates).

Is it too late to get that file deleted in my validated mods?

The validated ones that include it are:

- clone posts ( http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5&t=300774 )

- split posts and merge ijn one step ( http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5&t=287988 )

- keep unread flags ( http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5&t=309059 )

Also, if there are other minor adjustments that get made, will I always be notified of exactly what those are so that my copy of the mod will match the validated one, or do I need to actually download the validated version and run a compare against my own copy? (I just checked each of them so I know the answer for these particular mods (no changes were made) but in the future should I be checking to make sure even if the pm does not tell me that there were any changes?
ycl6
Translator

Post by ycl6 »

1. You don't need to include mEAL's report because we will validate it again aginast the software, so it doesn't matter if the report is included in the MOD. Also, if you include it, then we will need to delete it and repack the MOD even when the MOD is ready to be approved.

If you think there's anything that we need to know about the mEAL report, you can let us know by leaving a note when uploading your MOD

2. We will try our best telling you what has been changed if the MOD was repacked by us. However, to be safe, I'll recommend you to do a diff on both versions. (winmerge for Windows and diff for linux)

Edit 1: If those 3 files have no other problems, we'll remove the report for you, this time :)

Edit 2: OK, I mis-read your post, it would be best if you can re-submit them again :)

~Mac
Last edited by ycl6 on Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added a note at the end
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life »

No, there is no need to include report.html in your MOD, it won’t save the MOD team any time at all. We have to run our own validation on the MOD anyways, all you’re doing is adding an extra file that we’ll have to delete from the package, and a mEAL report would not concern the user installing the MOD, so its best not to include it.
Also, if there are other minor adjustments that get made, will I always be notified of exactly what those are so that my copy of the mod will match the validated one, or do I need to actually download the validated version and run a compare against my own copy? (I just checked each of them so I know the answer for these particular mods (no changes were made) but in the future should I be checking to make sure even if the pm does not tell me that there were any changes?
It depends on the MOD Team validating your MOD. If there are changes made, *usually* you will be notified of those changes, or of other issues with the MOD that don’t cause it to be denied, but warrant mentioning.

EDIT: gotta love post review. -- Mac beat me!
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

ycl6 wrote:1. You don't need to include mEAL's report...if you include it, then we will need to delete it and repack the MOD even when the MOD is ready to be approved.
That's what I figured you would do, but the report got included in the final version of the three mods that I list above as recently validated. I apologize for complicating your life, but could someone repack those and delete the report.htm file from them?

Again, the mods are these:

- clone posts ( http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5&t=300774 )

- split posts and merge ijn one step ( http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5&t=287988 )

- keep unread flags ( http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5&t=309059 )

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Writers Discussion”