Admin User Maint (email) link enhancement

This forum is now closed as part of retiring phpBB2.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

This forum is now closed due to phpBB2.0 being retired.
kubulai

Admin User Maint (email) link enhancement

Post by kubulai »

When spammers register, they leave their contact info, web page, etc. I don't want to encourage them by allowing any information they provide to be visible, so I modded the SQL in memberlist.php to select only those who I have approved 8-) , that is they have user_active > 0, such as:

WHERE user_id <> " . ANONYMOUS . " AND user_active != 0.

I like the way I get an e-mail with a clickable link whenever someone has registered, but I really wanted two links: one for approve and one for delete. I can mod usercp_register.php to provide both links, but what MODE should I use in the link? "delete" and "remove" were my guesses but so far I struck out. Anyone know how to delete a user? :twisted:

--Kubulai
Last edited by kubulai on Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James N

Re: Admin User Maint (email) link enhancement

Post by James N »

Theres no need to go to all that trouble

Spambots can easily be stopped instantly with one of two MODs. The RAC MOD or the Security Question MOD will add a new field to the registration page which the bots cannot deal with. You can mass delete any spambot accounts you have by using the Starfox Admin Toolkit.

More information is in the sticky topic Preventing Spam - Humans and Bots at the top of the 2.0x Support Forum.

The Starfox Admin Toolkit can be download by clicking here.
kubulai

Post by kubulai »

I looked at the descriptions of the mods in section 3 of the link you provided. Thank-you. Those are all good ideas. The RAC MOD or the Security Question MOD I may add later. I like that because then I could let users e-mail validate and begin posting immediately.

Adding "AND user_active != 0" is simplicity. I like simplicity. How many lines of code are in the mods?

What I don't know is the value to be used for MODE in the URL. If no one knows, that's fine. I'll eventually dig thorough it until I get the notification e-mail formatted as I want -- so I can simply click a link and the garbage registration is deleted in the same way that I currently can click a link and the account is activated.

Thanks again,

--Kubulai
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

for the RAC MOD there are only three files to edit,

usercp_register.php - just a few lines to add,
lang_admin.php just a few lines to add

profile_add_body.tpl just a table row to add.

this has so far been 100% effective against the spam bots.

that is simplicity in my opinion.

then you can stop messing with all the spam junk.

the MODEs you are talking about do not exist in the php for this script.
it is a bit more involved than that.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Writers Discussion”