[ABD] Backup Scheduler

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
SSEi95

Re: [RC] Backup Scheduler

Post by SSEi95 »

Jemme wrote:I had the same problem ! Thanks for figuring this out :D

Glad to be able to help out someone else for a change.

I do have one more issue. I have this mod installed on 2 different forums, and 1 works great, the other has an error when I run it.

On the one with the error I get this when I run a backup with it:
Error 500 - Internal server error
An internal server error has occured!
Please try again later.
Although, oddly enough, these stats update everytime I do it:
Backup statistics
The backup scheduler is currently set to non active.
The next scheduled backup is Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:20 am.
There are currently 11 backup files in the store folder, of which 5 have been created by the backup scheduler.
I'm guessing this has to do with my hosting (sites are on different hosting services). Thoughts?

EDIT:

Found I had to go enable the backup in the board config section. But when I click on it, I get this (both sites):
General Error
No mode specified.
EDIT AGAIN: Found that more than just the first error I listed a few posts ago had the test in the files on the sameline, vs each their own line. I need to go back and recheck all edits because of that... :oops:
SSEi95

Post by SSEi95 »

OK, here's more.

1) I figured out what the above server 500 error was. My hosting company automatically kills scripts after 6 seconds. I had to create multiple schedules of chunks of the backup to get around that.

2) Now that I have 3 schedules set to run, nothing happens. I can run them mannually (yellow circle w/ white plus in it), it will schedule them out for an hour or specified time, then the time slot comes and goes with no backup run. Scheduler has been enabled as well as an FTP backup location.

3) Also, I noticed in the admin logs it is listed as "{LOG CONFIG SCHEDULE}". I'm guessing something somewhere is not quite right.
david63

Post by david63 »

SSEi95 wrote:1) I figured out what the above server 500 error was. My hosting company automatically kills scripts after 6 seconds. I had to create multiple schedules of chunks of the backup to get around that.
6 seconds is very low - the normal setting is either 30 or 60 seconds. There is an attempt to change it in the script to 1200 seconds but not all hosts will allow this. Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done about this - other than change hosts.

I am surprised that you have not had other timeout problems with phpBB3 as many scripts will need more than 6 seconds to run.
SSEi95 wrote:2) Now that I have 3 schedules set to run, nothing happens. I can run them mannually (yellow circle w/ white plus in it), it will schedule them out for an hour or specified time, then the time slot comes and goes with no backup run. Scheduler has been enabled as well as an FTP backup location.
The scheduler does not run automatically - it uses the phpBB3 pseudo cron system which means that somebody need to access the site one hour (or whatever it is set to) after the last backup.
SSEi95 wrote:3) Also, I noticed in the admin logs it is listed as "{LOG CONFIG SCHEDULE}". I'm guessing something somewhere is not quite right.
That is a missing language variable - fixed in next release.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
SSEi95

Post by SSEi95 »

david63 wrote: 6 seconds is very low - the normal setting is either 30 or 60 seconds. ...I am surprised that you have not had other timeout problems with phpBB3 as many scripts will need more than 6 seconds to run....
I had this error once in the past with image gallery uploading larger files, otherwis, no issues so far other than this.

SSEi95 wrote:2) Now that I have 3 schedules set to run, nothing happens. I can run them mannually (yellow circle w/ white plus in it), it will schedule them out for an hour or specified time, then the time slot comes and goes with no backup run. Scheduler has been enabled as well as an FTP backup location.
The scheduler does not run automatically - it uses the phpBB3 pseudo cron system which means that somebody need to access the site one hour (or whatever it is set to) after the last backup.
Found an error in my Cron.php. I had inadvertantly moved a "{ " after the inserted text instead of before :oops: . I'll go check it shorty to see if that helps. The site it is running on has constant traffic (1000's of hits a day)

Great mod though. This will help out tremedously in manageing my site. :D
SSEi95

Post by SSEi95 »

Running great now except I have received this error twice. Is there a setting somewhere that I may have wrong?
There has been a problem with the temporary lock file which is stopping the schedules from running. To resolve this issue you need to purge the cache.
I purge the cache and get them going again, then they work for a while longer.
david63

Post by david63 »

This is something that I put in to stop the schedules running more than once at the same time and the only times I have had that message has been when there has been an error. Are there any error messages in the Backup log?
David
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
Jemme

Post by Jemme »

david63 wrote:The scheduler does not run automatically - it uses the phpBB3 pseudo cron system which means that somebody need to access the site one hour (or whatever it is set to) after the last backup.
I missed this part somewhere... so what triggers the back-up process exactly?
david63

Post by david63 »

Jemme wrote:so what triggers the back-up process exactly
It uses the phpBB3 cron system which is located in the footer. Every time a page is accessed there is a check to see if a schedule needs to be run and if so then it runs it.
David
rickyschuijff

Post by rickyschuijff »

maybe an idea that you can build in a email function that it can mail the backup to your email adress
Flyff Game go to FlyffWorld
david63

Post by david63 »

rickyschuijff wrote:maybe an idea that you can build in a email function that it can mail the backup to your email adress
Believe it or not I have spent weeks trying just that. The problem is that the mailing system in phpBB3 does not support attachments so the only way would be a major rewrite of the messenger system or to write my own mail system - neither of which I really want to do.

If I was to add my own mailer then I doubt that this mod would ever be approved.
David
SSEi95

Post by SSEi95 »

david63 wrote:This is something that I put in to stop the schedules running more than once at the same time and the only times I have had that message has been when there has been an error. Are there any error messages in the Backup log?

No errors at all in any log files (at least non since this mod was installed). I currently have about 3800 cache files in the cache folder. Deleting them and then restarting the proccess works for a while. I also have 3 different backups scheduled due to th size of some of the tables and the 6 second script limit on my hosting ( :roll: ). Am I reading into this correctly that if I had the 3 schedules running at different times, instead of the same time, I may not get this error anymore?
david63

Post by david63 »

SSEi95 wrote:No errors at all in any log files (at least non since this mod was installed)
Did you look in the Backup log?
SSEi95 wrote:Am I reading into this correctly that if I had the 3 schedules running at different times, instead of the same time, I may not get this error anymore?
No that would not make any difference. The idea is that it will stop the same schedule running.

The theory is that if user A comes along and starts the scheduled backup running, and that backup takes 10 seconds you do not want user B coming along 2 seconds after user A and starting the same schedule. The problem is that I set the update time at the end of the run, just in case it does not complete. The other option would be to set the update time at the start but then if there was an error you could end up missing a backup.

Do you have entries in the backup log for all of the backups that you expect to have been run? This could give a clue as to whether there is a problem or not.
David
SSEi95

Post by SSEi95 »

Hr is what I s in the "maintnance ->backup logs":
User A <ip> Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:58 am FTP uploaded backup file
» table posts
User A <ip> Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:58 am Scheduled backup run
» table posts
I see alot of this, only obviously updated timstamps, ip's etc... There is nothing else listed in them except variations of these 2 events.

The entries do just stop at some point. Example, the last batch of them ran about 11:55pm last night. They ran 3-4 times normally before that as well. Not sure if it matters much, but I do have them running in 1 hour intervals just to test their setup for now. That way I don't need to wait 24 hours or such to see if it worked.
david63

Post by david63 »

I am not sure what the problem is so I might be coming asking several questions to try and find out what/where the problem is - if that is ok with you.

First off then; What do you have set as the length of time that you are keeping the backups and have any of them "rolled off" yet?
David
SSEi95

Post by SSEi95 »

Each of the 3 schedules I have setup are identical, except for which tables they pull.

Active: Yes
Backup Type: Full
File Type: gzip
Tables: <varies>
Frequency: 1 hours
Keep for: 30 days
FTP Backups: Yes

The FTP backups are working fine as well, when it does run.

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”