[ABD] Proxy Revealer Olympus 0.3.3

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
jasmineaura
Name: Jasmine

Re: [DEV] Proxy Revealer Olympus 0.3.3

Post by jasmineaura »

Back by popular demand :D

First SVN Update:
Changed Java Applet to use Socket(Proxy.NO_PROXY) method. Tested working with Java Plug-in 1.6.0_20, even when server host IP reverse lookup does not match :)

Java works again, now flawlessly, no more signed applet nuisance :D
Last edited by jasmineaura on Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sotis

Re: [ABD] Proxy Revealer Olympus 0.3.3

Post by sotis »

Welcome back. :D
What about the bug with login problem?
jasmineaura

Post by jasmineaura »

Sotis,

I had made a minor change late last year, in SVN, which probably fixed the bug.

Note HarshReality's post (dec 28, 2009) on previous page:
HarshReality wrote:Cool, got SVN tonight and noticed some of your edits. While the edits are validated and SVN code applied I will say that login is possible. Flash is disabled (as I am not running the pingback server/script) and the script on the whole seems to be disabled. So.. I'll simply follow along.
Having said that, there has probably been some relevant changes in phpBB since then, so I need to adapt the MOD to phpBB-3.0.7-PL1 and test with that. Then I'll be updating SVN frequently, update the MODX, add support for AutoMOD installation (thx for UMIL), adding new features that I mentioned prior and possibly others, then hopefully a brand spanking new release. So keep an eye on this thread :)

Edit:
HarshReality was correct. In some cases, SSID gets appended to URL upon login or registration, and this caused the MOD to not run scans because it explicitly compared the $user->page['query_string'] to 'mode=login' or 'mode=register' rather than using strpos, which is inadequate obviously.. This will be fixed in next release.
Gyiyg

Post by Gyiyg »

Ah, no, just a few weeks after I completely overhaul the project to work stand-alone! щ(゚д゚щ)

Good to see you back in business. I finally got around to implementing that system I was going on about a year ago, as well.
Well, partially. Database programming just bores the flaming hell out of me.
jasmineaura

Post by jasmineaura »

Well, I got good news for you Gyig :)

Not only is Java fixed (and no need for signed applet or the associated security popup/confirmation), Realplayer method has also been thoroughly reviewed, as to cover realplayer11 on Linux (and 3rd party plugins like gecko-mediaplayer) as well :)
Moreover, new methods have been implemented in (unreleased) standalone version, namely MediaPlayer (WindowsMediaPlayer/mplayer/flip4mac) and QuickTime, and thoroughly tested both on Windows (IE7, IE8, and Firefox-3.x) and Linux (Firefox-3.x) :)
There's also a possibility of (mis-)using Adobe Acrobat (as I've discovered from my R&D), but it remains a bit too noisy to be useful in this MOD. iTunes too, but that's nothing to worry about, as what can be done by iTunes can be done by QuickTime as well, without the noise. And in any case, if one has iTunes installed, then one must have QuickTime as well (it's a requirement) :)

As to why the standalone version is unreleased, you may ask; well, two main reasons:
1. TerraFrost has not publically released standalone version which includes XSS methods (revised) and the original (unrevised) Java applet.
2. For the sake of the effectivity (and existence) of this MOD, I do not wish to attract much public exposure to the techniques employed (which take advantage of plugins' inherent privacy weaknesses) as to avoid likely stirrup of 3rd-party plugin vendors to make it harder for us to use. Ethically, I do not feel guilty about it, as I do not perceive this as a security issue, rather a privacy issue, which can well be avoided using other solutions (such as TOR+torbutton - although this MOD is also able to -selectively- block TOR users if the board admin deems necessary).

Also, I've replaced the old (occasionally problematic) standalone-installer with an updated one that uses UMIL (phpbb's new standard for installers), and to make installing/upgrading a breeze. This has yet to be tested, however.

So the project is very much alive - see svn on our google code project, I just got sidetracked with some some major revision and testing to fix whatever bugs (or unforeseen exceptions) I may find, as well as making what's already implemented (especially XSS methods, Java, RealPlayer) more stable & reliable. Then I'll be adding the new techniques that I developed, and releasing a new revamped release.

And thanks for giving me a chance to rant, again :D
Gyiyg

Post by Gyiyg »

So, there will be an official standalone version with the next release, or are you intending to keep it under wraps entirely? In the latter case, I won't tell anyone if you send it to me please oh please ;)
Ashley.S.
Name: Ashley .S.

Post by Ashley.S. »

Hello,

I know the mod is still in development and all, but how stable would this mod be on a live board, because I really need such a thing to stop users trying to use proxies, and spamming the board :evil:
Regards,
-Ashley.S. [ PurephpBB Founder ]
jasmineaura

Post by jasmineaura »

The upcoming release will be first official beta, and trust me, I need it sooner :)
Ashley.S.

Post by Ashley.S. »

jasmineaura wrote:The upcoming release will be first official beta, and trust me, I need it sooner :)
ok thanks :)
Regards,
Ashley.S.

Post by Ashley.S. »

Sorry to be a pest jasmineaura, but is there any news on the mod going into the BETA stages yet?
Regards,
Ashley.G.
Name: Ashley Grabowski

Post by Ashley.G. »

Ashley.S. wrote:Sorry to be a pest jasmineaura, but is there any news on the mod going into the BETA stages yet?
I'm wondering this as well. There have been quite a few spamming/hacking attempts lately and I want my forum as well protected as possible. We need some kind of mod to stop people from coming in on proxies once theyy've been permanently banned.

Sorry about my spelling, but I'm kind of tired and just got home from work.
Chatting Time A Friendly general chat community where all are free to speak their minds and have a good time. Join Us Today!
jasmineaura

Post by jasmineaura »

Ashley S. , Ashley G.

As you can see on SVN: http://code.google.com/p/proxy-revealer/source/list

There are a lot of changes going on, so it's not like there's any hold on the project right now. It's just going through some major changes, and in doing so, it is to become more stable (and hopefully more efficient), while getting a bunch of new features added that make it even better at catching "proxied" users.
AleksAnders

Post by AleksAnders »

This mod seems not working.. :(
I've installed it on the test forum, there were no any errors during installing, all settings appeared in the MODS tab. But I can easily login through any anonymous site and there are no any logs about that — as if nothing happens. What may be the problem?

//Sorry for my bad English
Abera

Post by Abera »

I was wondering the other day if the MOD is going anywhere.
Thanks
Gyiyg

Post by Gyiyg »

Abera wrote:I was wondering the other day if the MOD is going anywhere.
Thanks
There are changes in SVN as recent as 3 weeks ago. Quality software takes time.

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”