[ABD] SFS Anti-Spam Registration

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
DiryHarry

Re: [BETA] SFS Anti-Spam Registration

Post by DiryHarry »

lefty74 wrote:I would suggest to add some acp options though,e.g. turning on/off. also maybe a possibility to choose what the check should be made against instead of all three by default, same with log adding as it can clog up the logs quite quickly.
Very good suggestions in my opinion. I would like them too.

And it would be nice to have an button or link in the details list of a user that checks this user against sfs. It seems to be possible, because you do already have the code to perform the check (unfortunately I'm not able to do that .. :cry: )

(Or perhaps on the ACP page "inactive users" it could be possible to mark some users and do a check for them all ... but that seems to be more difficult ...).

What do you think of that?

tanrek

Post by tanrek »

Beware of SFS!

At present SFS is blocking *@web.de

This is completely ridiculous because web.de is one of the best-recommended German email hosters. As well you could block *@gmail.com and be enchanted that you get less spam afterwards...

lefty74

Post by lefty74 »

i just test registered with a web.de account without problems from SFS
lefty74
zoocrew.eu - help us save our wildlife
My MODS | Due to lack of time I unfortunately am unable to work on my mods anymore, anyone who has ideas to improve them and would like to take any of them over, please PM me.

amdoolittle

Post by amdoolittle »

tanrek wrote:At present SFS is blocking *@web.de

SFS does not do entire domain blocking, I'm not sure where you got that information from, but it is incorrect...

They will list domains that have a large number of spammers (with a recommendation to limit registrations), but the queries for active spam accounts is not domain-wide, it is still individual email based.

On another note, would it be possible to get you to remove the very large red text "beware of sfs", as it is based on false information?

tanrek

Post by tanrek »

Well, if you doubt it why don't you check it out yourself?

Original SFS sql commands for phpbb, download from today:

*snip*
INSERT INTO `phpbb_banlist` VALUES ('', '', '', '*@chongsoft.org');
INSERT INTO `phpbb_banlist` VALUES ('', '', '', '*@web.de');
INSERT INTO `phpbb_banlist` VALUES ('', '', '', '*@terbuny.net');
*snip*

This command inserts *@web.de into the banlist and will harm German boards severely.

lefty74

Post by lefty74 »

thats not how this mod works though, it does not use the sql inserts from SFS.

have you posted this on the sfs forum already? the people at sfs are only human and may not know the german site being legit, fact is that there is a lot of spam coming from web.de emails (personal experience) so it would be more useful if you wrote to them at SFS to ensure it on the legit list like gmail.com.

out of personal curiosity, why did you target this mod to write this and not the other ones that use SFS??
amdoolittle wrote:On another note, would it be possible to get you to remove the very large red text "beware of sfs", as it is based on false information?
I would totally agree to this, it's not fair to the mod author as you are posting something not relevant to this mod.
lefty74
My MODS | Due to lack of time I unfortunately am unable to work on my mods anymore, anyone who has ideas to improve them and would like to take any of them over, please PM me.

tanrek

Post by tanrek »

lefty74 wrote:thats not how this mod works though, it does not use the sql inserts from SFS.
Lefty, I didn't said anything bad regarding your mod but it was your decision to judge SFS trustworthy.

We are not talking about a simple error here, we are talking about worst case. It is my opinion that even one false positive is too much. If I would have used the faulty sql command I could have excluded approximately 20% of the members of my forums! Even worse - since those potential members are not able to register they also cannot complain, what means it can take a very long time until admins notice that something is going wrong. But also if banned members could complain they wouldn't. They would leave the forum with a very nasty f-word on their lips and never return again. If one intends to drive his forum into suicide this is the right way.

Even if SFS eliminate the faulty command now the fatal ban entry remains in the database since there is no command (and there must not be one!) for deleting an entry.

If SFS want to keep their credibility they will have to do two things:

1) SFS must publish an advisory for all admins who used the faulty commands and show them how to manually correct the database.

2) SFS must change their internal structures in a way that such an error can never ever happen again.
lefty74 wrote:have you posted this on the sfs forum already?
No, I got nothing to do with SFS. I was just evaluating anti-spam mods for phpbb boards.

lefty74

Post by lefty74 »

amdoolittle wrote:I had planned on doing an ACP interface for it, and it is currently in the works.
sorry, i must have missed that part before, have you already got details on this you can share?
lefty74

amdoolittle

Post by amdoolittle »

tanrek wrote:
lefty74 wrote:thats not how this mod works though, it does not use the sql inserts from SFS.
Lefty, I didn't said anything bad regarding your mod but it was your decision to judge SFS trustworthy.

We are not talking about a simple error here, we are talking about worst case.
1) Lefty isn't the author, I am.

2) You've gone way off track bringing an issue to light about SFS that in no way affects the modification that this thread is about (rendering your quick judgment as it relates to this mod, faulty). Lefty was right to point out that this mod does not modify ban tables (and does not use downloaded SQL statements), but runs individual email checks against the SFS API (which does not do full domain blocking, as I mentioned). Only those accounts which have been actively seen performing spam actions are reported to SFS, by actual users, not automated systems. So if you can't trust SFS, who can you trust? A more appropriate place to voice your complaint, as noted, is the SFS community.

It appears your statement, "I was just evaluating anti-spam mods for phpbb boards" does not actually include downloading/inspecting/understanding the mods you're allegedly "evaluating".

And for those still wondering, the delays with the ACP interface are due to life getting in the way, but I assure you development is not halted.

Maidenaustria

Post by Maidenaustria »

Cheers!
I'm running a highly modded phpbb2 forum (and I definitely CAN'T upgrade to phpbb3 atm) and I want to ask if someone has tested this BETA Mod within a phpbb2.
Or does someone see a chance this may work?

thanks in advance,
Maidenaustria
the Austrian Iron Maiden Fan Community
Maiden Austria United

amdoolittle

Post by amdoolittle »

I have a PHPBB2 version of this mod, check the homepage for this mod: http://www.alexdoolittle.com

Maidenaustria

Post by Maidenaustria »

Thanks a lot - installation easy - seems to work properly...
Is the version for phpbb2 also a BETA Mod?
Maiden Austria United

jrolson

Post by jrolson »

Can we have some pictures of the mod please?

I would also like to see this...
(Or perhaps on the ACP page "inactive users" it could be possible to mark some users and do a check for them all ... but that seems to be more difficult ...)
Also the option to display the Captcha before the registration page.

lozt

Post by lozt »

I don't want it to check the username becasue what if a spammer uses the name "david" that means no one on my forum can register that name?

How can I make it so it only checks email address and IP?

Maidenaustria

Post by Maidenaustria »

lozt wrote:I don't want it to check the username becasue what if a spammer uses the name "david" that means no one on my forum can register that name?

How can I make it so it only checks email address and IP?
And what if there is already a david registred who never ever did a post?????
Same situation...
Maiden Austria United

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”