[ABD] Board Integrated Market System

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Sam
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Thompson

Re: [DEV] Board Integrated Market System

Post by Sam » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:21 pm

The new cash system is because I want this to be used by itself, many people don't like downloading and installing 3 different things for something to work, it also makes troubleshooting a mess. If you want to convert, I will be happy to assist with that when the time comes.

kirinelf

Post by kirinelf » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:26 am

If you don't mind my input on this, I'd like to see this cash + shop integrated system because of two reasons:

1) Neither the Ultimate Points System nor the Simple Points System have what I need, namely support for multiple currencies, currency restricted to user group, and currency gain restricted to certain forums, with the latter being able to co-exist with the second (Only someone in a certain user group posting in a certain forum can gain money, and someone in another user group posting in the same forum cannot gain money, but can if he posts in another forum that the first one won't gain cash from). I haven't tested the Simple Points System yet, but I have tried both the Ultimate Points System and Handyman's Cash Mod, and neither of them are satisfactory.

2) I'm not sufficiently good at coding enough to rewrite any of the above three point/cash mods to suit my needs. Support is relatively good in their forums, but Handyman's Cash Mod has been inactive due to Handyman being away, and the Ultimate Points and Simple Points systems will require such modification that I imagine it'd be much easier for me to request a new mod.

SyntaxError90, I would like to request the ability for items to be shown in categories in both the shop (market) and in the user's inventory. What I mean is this: Clicking the Inventory from the user's profile will lead me to a page that shows a list of categories, and clicking these categories will show what items they have in that category. The same for the market; clicking the shop link will show a list of markets, with each market selling only one category of item (A.k.a. Market A sells items that will appear only in Category A, while Market B only sells items that appear in Category B, and Market Misc. will sell items that appear in Category Misc.).

Also, am I right in assuming that this mod will support multiple currencies? If so, then I would also like to request for said items to be buyable only via a certain currency (a.k.a. Market A only accepts Cash A, while Market B only accepts Cash B; someone with Cash A cannot buy anything from Market B and vice versa).

Expanding on the above, if possible, I would appreciate it if you could make it so that certain forums can give certain currencies (a.k.a. Forum A gives Cash A per character per new post, while Forum B gives Cash B per character per new post. Forum A will not under any circumstance give Cash B, and vice versa).

Is that too much to ask?
I am the Fallen Angel. Have me as your enemy and you will fall to my thousand blades. Have me as your friend and I will aid you in all I can, for I am he who commands life and death.

Sam
Former Team Member

Post by Sam » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:07 am

Not too much to ask, most of which I was planing to incorporate in.

The multiple currencies was going to be in the code, but I wasn't going to fully support it until later if I feel like writing it, but I might as well just do multiple currencies.

I will post a more specific list of features when I get some of the functions sorted out.

kirinelf

Post by kirinelf » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:41 am

Oh, I would like to request another feature: Item Requirements. Say to buy Item A, I need to have Item B in my inventory. Maybe up to a max of five requirements (To buy Item A, I need Item B, Item C, Item D, Item E, and Item F, along with the actual price)?

If you would like to know what I'm using the mod for, I'd be happy to explain, as well as the reason for so many features. The way it seems to be going, I will most likely end up being a beta tester for your mod. ^^
I am the Fallen Angel. Have me as your enemy and you will fall to my thousand blades. Have me as your friend and I will aid you in all I can, for I am he who commands life and death.

arrow816
Name: Steven Costello

Post by arrow816 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:16 pm

Do you have an estimated date for when RC1 will be ready?

kirinelf

Post by kirinelf » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:54 am

The mod is currently in Development, as noted by the [DEV] tag in the topic title. This will still have to go through the Alpha and Beta stages, possibly multiple times, before an RC can be released. Give him time.

arrow816

Post by arrow816 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:03 am

I know that i used the wrong terminology. I mean when is there going to be a downlodable file so we can test it?

kirinelf

Post by kirinelf » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:21 am

Again, give him time. I'm no coder, but from what I can tell, this mod is something rather difficult to code, plus he has other mods and his own RL business to attend to. Give him time, lots of it.
Last edited by kirinelf on Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sam
Former Team Member

Post by Sam » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:40 am

The only thing I am waiting on to start going full steam ahead is getting my website released, which is getting close to that point. I personally want to use this mod, so it adds some incentive for me to get going on it.

arrow816

Post by arrow816 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:47 am

Is there any thing u need help with on your site?

yexusbeliever

Post by yexusbeliever » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:10 am

Oh please don't use a new cash system! It is like creating division among mod authors and their mods by having all these different mods out there with almost the same basic functions. It gets hard with mod authors abandoning mods too. So new mods will come and die out quickly.

All the mods within phpBB community are able for the forking if you like! What makes it better if you can begin new developments to the mods already existing.

For example: Ultimate Points has its base in Adrian's Point System. Adrian's Point System has its base in iPoints.

They all build from one another.

If you truly can't find specific features you want in the current mods and don't want to do a makeover, please do make a whole new mod. I am just saying that it will be easier for mod compatibility for many phpBB users if they all can share same database.

What I believe that you can truly contribute to the community is more mods that can utilize the current point mods. If the current mods fit your liking and needs, then create new mods that can utilize these current mods to its potential.

Currently I believe we need more than a shop mod or a point system. Because those are currently existing and active. Bring back like old mods from phpBB2 like Pet Mod, RPG Mod, or Dynamic Avatar Mod.

kirinelf

Post by kirinelf » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:20 am

What I believe that you can truly contribute to the community is more mods that can utilize the current point mods. If the current mods fit your liking and needs, then create new mods that can utilize these current mods to its potential.
But what if the current cash mods don't support my needs, and support for them is hard to find? What if it requires such massive recoding that the final product is nothing like the previous mod? What's the difference between recoding a mod that doesn't have what I need to have what I need, making it a whole new mod in its own way, and coding a new mod?

I made a request thread asking for a Cash and Shop Mod with the criteria I needed, since none of the current mods have it, and SyntaxError90 was kind enough to do it. Besides, as you might have noticed, this cash mod comes with an integrated shop mod, which none of the other cash mods out there have. Adrian1 has both the Advanced Poitns Mod and his own Shop mod, however, they don't come in a nice package like this. Probably a bad argument, but hey, I'm no coder. I'm just taking advantage of people's kindness I guess.
If you truly can't find specific features you want in the current mods and don't want to do a makeover, please do make a whole new mod. I am just saying that it will be easier for mod compatibility for many phpBB users if they all can share same database.
I just read your post again and it seems to say that if the current Ultimate Points Mod doesn't have what I need (In this case multiple currencies and user group specifications), I should make a new mod with those features? Isn't that what SyntaxError90 is doing? Or do you mean we should make a mod that's an add on for that mod, so it utilizes the same database? But don't most mods use the same MySQL database? It's not like making a new mod would need another MySQL database. Or am I taking your words too literally?

Also, I'm wondering why you're posting in this topic if all you're doing is putting down the mod author. This topic should be reserved for asking for support regarding the mod, and not saying what we need or don't need, isn't that right?

yexusbeliever

Post by yexusbeliever » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:36 am

I was not trying to put down the mod author. In my mind, I'm trying to stop him from further development to see if he had evaluate whether which path is simpler to dazzle with.

If you just need a shop mod with a point system, then both Ultimate Points and Adrian's Shop Mod serves you well. All you need to do is install them one at a time.

With Ultimate Points, I don't know if you can use multiple currencies all at once; but I never really looked into it. Also I would think that it can be possible to develop over this mod - just adding on multiple currencies.

And what I mean by database, I meant tables, not mysql. Thanks for the notice in error.

I have tried to write mods before. It is time consuming, even if you know how to code it. The most speedy and effective way is to develop it over on someone's else work or work with someone else. When you do it all by yourself, you tend to drop the project sooner or quicker than you had planned. Since phpBB allows us to freely do so, we can always fork someone's work. Of course do ask for permission as for politeness, though it doesn't require of you.

I wish I can do some PR for mods and bring everyone mod authors who have similar tastes of features to work together build multiple of mod collections for the enjoyment of our community. I believe that would be lovely! A unity of modders and mods! Then we will have a larger collection to fit our online communities, enabling to serve them effectively better.

kirinelf

Post by kirinelf » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:55 am

I hope nothing I said was TOO offensive. I'm a blunt person, and I hate beating around the bush.

What I need is specified here: Cash and Shop Mod Combo, and it details exactly what I need/want and what the current mods I know of have. What I'm currently making is an RP board that supports multiple RP forums at once, so one can Role-Play Bleach in one forum and Digimon in another. EXP will be earned via the Cash Mod, and multiple currencies is needed so that Bleach and Digimon can earn EXP independent of each other. The shop must also support categories (districts in Adrian1's Shop Mod), so that only people with Digimon EXP can buy Digimon related items for example, and vice versa.

The Ultimate Points mod does not support multiple currencies; I have just installed it on my test server five minutes ago. As for how easy it'd be to implement I have no idea, but since the mod itself is already rather solidly built, they might probably have to take it apart and add in functions here and there. It already has support from Arcades and Gambling mods, as well as its own inbuilt Bank, Lottery and Robbery systems. Throwing in multiple currencies will make it a LOT of work for something that very few people might use, if you ask me. Far easier to make a new mod.

A unit of mods and modders together can and probably will be interesting and useful. However, there is a reason most mods are only developed by a few people at a time: Difference in opinion. One mod author might want something in it that the others don't, and others might have different opinions. Then there're language barriers: There're many accomplished coders in Europe and Asia, but not many people here speak Spanish/Russian/French/Portuguese/whatever. I know six languages myself, but five of them are Asian languages.

In any case, we might wish to either wrap up this discussion or take it somewhere else. I wouldn't like to spam up the topic anymore.

yexusbeliever

Post by yexusbeliever » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:14 am

Thank you for your understanding. I see what you meant perfectly. I probably won't ever really need what you have requested, though I think those are wonderful requests. We shall continue on with the Integrated Market System. :)

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”