[ABD] Dynamic Forms System (0.0.6b)

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Neverbirth

[ABD] Dynamic Forms System (0.0.6b)

Post by Neverbirth »

Modification Name: Dynamic Forms System
Author: Neverbirth

Modification Description: Create and customize forms and their output.
Modification Version: 0.0.6b

Requirements: This isn't a standalone MOD, it uses the Mini Knowledge Base to store and display the submitted forms.

Features:
  • Create and define which type of fields will be in a form and basic features of how they'll behave.
  • The source data for some of the fields can be customized.
  • The file requirements of file input fields can be defined as well.
  • The form output can be fully customized.
  • The MOD supports multi-language entries.
  • Etc.
Screenshots: *Screenshots are from an older version.*
  • The main review forms page, with all the forms you create:

• Some screenshots of a game review form:

• A review submitted through the form:

• Some screenshots from the ACP:

Modification Download: http://www.speksnk.org/temp/reviews_006b.rar
Last edited by Neverbirth on Sun May 31, 2009 11:09 am, edited 6 times in total.

Neverbirth

Re: [BETA] Dynamic Forms System

Post by Neverbirth »

EDIT: These notes are outdated, refer to install.xml to check for the new features and install the MOD.

Some notes:
  • Not production quality, so a lot of things are missing for making it a proper release: installer, it uses phpbb_ as the prefix of databases, etc.
  • As I said there are several ways for making a dynamic reviews form system, some may like the way I did it and others may not. Well, I made it this way because it is what I wanted and needed, so... :P.
  • I'm not a web programmer (and actually, I don't like it, I prefer RIA and desktop development), so there may be things that aren't as good as they could (for example, I use the same id for all the divs containing editors, I should have made my own style for them, but I haven't had time for it). Help is always welcome.
  • Also, as I said, this isn't a standalone MOD, it uses the Mini Knowledge Base.
The following things are missing or incomplete:
  • ACP support:
    • There are no specific checks for errors or mandatory fields (since I know what to add... XD)
    • The template editor is missing the special codes for inserting data.
    • The overview sections is completely missing.
  • Forms:
    • The field list feature isn't working for some cases.
Things that may not work or aren't as good as they could be heh:
  • I haven't tested lists and checkboxes, I don't know if they'll work.
  • Date fields are worthless... I wanted to add some datepicker, but I don't know which ones can perfectly fit into the system.
  • Numeric fields work as expected, but they are just simple input textboxes, I'd have loved to use some nice updown control (or numeric stepper, whatever you name it), but the only one I found that looked good didn't fit very well and gave some alignment problems.
Install instructions:
  • Follow install.xml instructions
  • Go to the ACP MOD area, and add the review forms modules into the Mini KB area.
The templating system of the MOD has language support. In order to use you just have to use {L_xxx} and the corresponding variable defined in the reviews.php language file.

Special tags that can be used in the templating system:
  • [upper]text[/upper]: Makes text uppercase.
  • {S_USERNAME}: Adds the name of the user that posted the review.
  • [field=x]text[/field]: Adds the corresponding text when field with id x has data.
  • {F_VALUE}: Adds the field inserted data. Used inside the [field=x][/field] tag.
  • {F_TEXT}: Adds the field text when used with checkboxes, lists, combos and radio buttons, and the file original name with file inputs. Used inside the [field=x][/field] tag.
Tags used for field lists (they are used inside the [field=x][/field] tag, excluding the last one):
  • [list_start]text[/list_start]: Used to define the header of a list.
  • [list_*]text[/list_*]: Used to add text for each field in the field list.
  • [list_end]text[/list_end]: Used to define the foot of a list.
  • [list_item=x]text[/list_item]: Used to retrieve just some item of a field list.
  • [list_separator]text[/list_separator]: Defines a separator to use on all items, excluding the last one.
  • [field_group=x]text[/field_group]: Used when you set a field group as a list.
Some examples:

Themplates:
Ex1:

Code: Select all

Overview:
[field=1]{F_VALUE}[/field]
Ex2:

[field=2]Characters in the movie:
[list][list_*][*]{F_VALUE}[/list_*][/list][/field]
Ex3:

[field_group=3][field=4]Friend's name: {F_VALUE}[/field]
[field=5]Friend's Phone Numbers:
[list][list_*][*]{F_VALUE}[/list_*][/list][/field][/field_group]
Outputs:
Ex1:
Overview:
Intro of the item reviewed
Ex2:
Characters in the movie:
  • Char 1
  • Char 2
  • Char 3
Ex3:
Friend's name: Friend 1
Friend's Phone Numbers:
  • Phone
Friend's name: Friend 2
Friend's Phone Numbers:
  • Phone 1
  • Phone 2
Friend's name: Friend 3
Friend's Phone Numbers:
When I added the list_start and list_end items they made some sense, although I'm not sure if they are actually worth it right now...
Last edited by Neverbirth on Fri May 01, 2009 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darkonia

Post by darkonia »

oh my god, so cool mod, thx a lot :ugeek:
MMOG-Heaven - Das Gaming Portal
Community bedeutet Gleichgesinnte finden - MMOG-Heaven ist Deine Community! Von Spielern für Spieler bietet Dir dieses Portal genau das, was ein Spieler braucht. Bleibe ständig informiert, finde die neuesten MMORPGs, oder suche die frischesten News aus der Welt des Online Gamings - dieses und vieles mehr erwartet Dich auf MMOG-Heaven.

usenet2you

Post by usenet2you »

very nice MOD

Neverbirth

Re: [BETA] Dynamic Forms System (0.0.4)

Post by Neverbirth »

Released a new version. I've made an install.xml file with instructions, version history, etc. People with the previous releases should follow it for new edits... I'll add detailed update instructions for following versions.

Forgot to add the instructions for adding the modules, will add them on the next version.

I'm going to post soon a list with my roadmap, fixes and features I'm willing to add, etc.

Neverbirth

Post by Neverbirth »

This is a list of things I'm expecting to include in next releases:
  • Making the overview page, so orphan files, fields, etc can be checked.
  • Add the possibility of being able to upload attachments to articles.
  • Add support for file arrays, that way file input fields can be used as lists or inside group lists.
  • Rewrite field lists parsing so it's properly made.
  • Add basic stats support.
  • Being able to use BBCode for form descriptions, and set images for them.
  • Separate some pieces of the field display and template parsing, so the forms can be used with other MODs.
Some other things I may include, but are of low priority...
  • Change the MOD so it can be used without the KB.
  • Check how listboxes and checkboxes actually behave and fix them if needed.
  • Adding a datepicker.
  • Add some logic so submitted articles could be later edited with its original form.
I may be forgetting some other things I'd like to see included, also, the priority of some things may change in the future.

Neverbirth

Post by Neverbirth »

There is a bug in latest release when uploading files.

In reviews/reviewposting.php, find:

$content_dir = $reviews_root_path . 'upload/';
And replace it with:

$content_dir = (defined('REVIEW_ROOT_PATH') ? REVIEW_ROOT_PATH : 'reviews/') . 'upload/';

enix

Post by enix »

its a great idea, keep the good work :D

Stickygreen

Post by Stickygreen »

I would really like to use this but am waiting on the next release.

Without sounding pushy how far out are we on getting something close to production quality. I think there's a few show stoppers right now. Correct?

Thanks for your hardwork.

Neverbirth

Post by Neverbirth »

Stickygreen wrote:Without sounding pushy how far out are we on getting something close to production quality. I think there's a few show stoppers right now. Correct?
Well, it all depends of your needs, for example list and check boxes surely don't work, but I haven't had any real need for them so far, and an installer is missing atm, although installing this is so easy that I don't consider it important right now (you'd just have to take the queries, and replace the table prefix for the one used on your installation). I use this on a live forum, with no problems so far, and helped to make people contribute several articles into the KB (game and movie reviews, characters bios, etc).

Sadly there are a lot of things I'd like to make, release a new Mini KB MOD version, make some improvements to another MOD, and there is a full MOD I want to develop that may be of interest to a lot of people and could make use of the Dynamic Forms System, but I'm saturated with my work right now.

I expect to release a new version this weekend with a few bugfixes and other improvements.

J.Buesking

Post by J.Buesking »

Does this work with permissions. I would like to give one member full access to this the admin side. Is this possible?

Neverbirth

Post by Neverbirth »

J.Buesking wrote:Does this work with permissions. I would like to give one member full access to this the admin side. Is this possible?
Actually, I've never met a forum owner who set different acp permissions, and therefore haven't fully thought of this, I just set every section of it to use acl_a_config_kb since I consider the MOD to be part of the KB (although I plan to change this on the future), you could use that permission, or change includes/acp/info/acp_kb_reviews.php and map each section to other similar ones, either you'd have to make your own.

If you change this post it back so it can be included in next releases, please. I'd like to work on many things, and don't have time to make all the things I'd wish, but if you don't know how to change this I'll give this a bit of priority and change it soon.

I may not have time to release the new version this weekend, I've thought yesterday on changing a few things, and they may not be finished in time.

Stickygreen

Post by Stickygreen »

Thanks for your replys.

I will install this on my dev board and see if I like and report back.

I know your restricted on time but I feel this mod would get alot more attention if you turned it into a standalone mod.

olsserik

Post by olsserik »

Hi,
Interesting mod!
I´ve installed on my dev forum and it seems to run without problem but I am not getting the config in ACP.
Could you provide me with a simple step by step so I can try it.
I´ve tested to insert different things, but it there is no change in the front-end.

Thanks!

Neverbirth

Post by Neverbirth »

Stickygreen wrote:I know your restricted on time but I feel this mod would get alot more attention if you turned it into a standalone mod.
It's on my to-do list, but I don't think it's top priority... I don't see any actual advantage for doing so, of course, you wouldn't have to install the Mini KB MOD, but you'd lose all of its advantages... approval of articles, having them stored in different categories without adding subforums, etc.

Changing this behavior is easy tho, but requires a bit of time to do so properly: adding some config options, detecting when should be used one method or another, etc.
olsserik wrote:I´ve installed on my dev forum and it seems to run without problem but I am not getting the config in ACP.
Could you provide me with a simple step by step so I can try it.
You should go to the System tab -> Modules Management -> ACP and add new modules... just create a new parent category, or use some existing one (I'm currently using the same one of the Mini KB), add a subcategory, and inside of it add the different modules of the MOD: KB_REVIEWS_OVERVIEW, KB_REVIEWS_FORMS, KB_REVIEWS_FILESPECS, KB_REVIEWS_DATASOURCES and KB_REVIEWS_TEMPLATES.

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”