[ABD] Double Account Preventer

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
kmklr72
Name: Kevin

[ABD] Double Account Preventer

Post by kmklr72 »

Modification Name: Double Account Preventer
Author: kmklr72

Modification Description: Prevents users from creating multiple accounts by using a cookie and checking their IP address.
Modification Version: 1.0.4

Modification Download: Click Here

Inspired by this request: Click Here

Big thanks to mtrs and ameeck for allowing me to use their code. Thanks guys :D
Last edited by DavidIQ on Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:29 am, edited 9 times in total.
Reason: Marked as abandoned
kmklr72

Re: [RC] Double Account Preventer

Post by kmklr72 »

I have found time to continue working on this MOD, so development won't be taken over by another person as previously stated. Version 1.0.2 has the blocking options taken out until I can figure out why they cause problems and has been submitted to the MODDB. Planned features in 1.0.3 include banning by cookie and a duplicate user list.
Ashley.S.
Name: Ashley .S.

Post by Ashley.S. »

great news that you've decided to continue the mod, good luck with it. I know I will probably use it at one of my sites
Regards,
-Ashley.S. [ PurephpBB Founder ]
kmklr72

Post by kmklr72 »

Thanks for the kind words Ashley. I have been working on it the past couple of days and have added a couple of new features. The first is the duplicate user list requested by MaLeKo in the old topic. The next is the ability to create a banning cookie. This should stop some of the less techy members that cause problems. That feature was requested by sotis in the old topic. One big change from the last 2 versions is that I removed the blocking options as the are causing too many problems :lol: . I am going to work on them later on. If anyone is currently using versions 1.0.1 or 1.0.1.1, I can provide update instructions if needed. I haven't extensively tested this version, so I'm expecting bugs to occur. For anyone waiting for this MOD to be validated, version 1.0.2 is currently in the MODDB validation queue.
JrTroopa

Post by JrTroopa »

Phew. I've been watching the old thread and I was wondering who would take over this mod. Though, I'm very happy to see you back. I'll test it sometime soon, and are you still accepting new feature ideas?
kmklr72

Post by kmklr72 »

Any features that you want I'd be happy to try and code in the MOD. Not sure the MOD Team appreciates me for adding more features with one version being validated, but creativity happens everyday, and stopping it would just be stupid :lol: .
JrTroopa

Post by JrTroopa »

Does this mod block proxies? Personally, I've had trouble with people using proxies and they kept creating accounts and it's been difficult to ban these people. I think it would be a nice addition to this mod if it's not already there. You could use some types of ways to block proxies, for example, you could use XSS, Java, and X_FORWARDED_FOR checks to ban these types of proxies.
Ashley.S.

Post by Ashley.S. »

I have seen a mod somewhere here that does block proxies, but I don't think it's this one
Regards,
JrTroopa

Post by JrTroopa »

I used to use Proxy Revealer Olympus but the mod author hasn't been around for a long time, and I've tried contacting them but no reply. There's also a major problem with the mod: it thinks that everyone is using a proxy and you can log in once with the mod, but when you log out, that's when the problem starts.
Ashley.S.

Post by Ashley.S. »

JrTroopa wrote:I used to use Proxy Revealer Olympus but the mod author hasn't been around for a long time, and I've tried contacting them but no reply. There's also a major problem with the mod: it thinks that everyone is using a proxy and you can log in once with the mod, but when you log out, that's when the problem starts.
I think that's the mod I was watching as I also keep having troubles with users on proxies at my site too and it's annoying
Regards,
kmklr72

Post by kmklr72 »

Well proxy blocking has never been a part of the mod. I started working on it back in the early RC stages (maybe even back as far as beta), but never really finished it. None of the code is in the current versions, but I still have all of the versions of this MOD. phpBB3 by itself does have limited support of checking for proxies when getting the user's IP, although it is only with the X_FORWARDED_FOR header. I'll take a look at the Proxy Revealer MOD code and see if I can use or change it to work with my code. I do have to admit that this is really the first time I've ever really need to learn how to use cookies and IP's in PHP :lol: , so if it takes me a while to get this working, that's why :lol: . I'm actually pretty surprised I made it this far with this MOD :shock: .
Ashley.S.

Post by Ashley.S. »

kmklr72 wrote:Well proxy blocking has never been a part of the mod. I started working on it back in the early RC stages (maybe even back as far as beta), but never really finished it. None of the code is in the current versions, but I still have all of the versions of this MOD. phpBB3 by itself does have limited support of checking for proxies when getting the user's IP, although it is only with the X_FORWARDED_FOR header. I'll take a look at the Proxy Revealer MOD code and see if I can use or change it to work with my code. I do have to admit that this is really the first time I've ever really need to learn how to use cookies and IP's in PHP :lol: , so if it takes me a while to get this working, that's why :lol: . I'm actually pretty surprised I made it this far with this MOD :shock: .
interesting, everyone's got to start somewhere, at least your getting somewhere unlike me, I can just about install large mods, let alone make my own :lol:

I wish you good luck, I'm watching this topics for developments currently
Regards,
kmklr72

Post by kmklr72 »

I have a question for both of you. How would you want the MOD to work when it detected a proxy? Block it or just flag it as a proxy and leave it for the admins to deal with. Either way is possible, and the latter might add more control, but it would take a bit more work. I don't think I'm going to go as complex as the Proxy Revealer MOD though. I'm just going to run checks against spamhaus and sorbs, as well as checking for tor ports. After that it's just a simple X_FORWARDED_FOR header check. Is there anything else that I'm missing?
Ashley.S.

Post by Ashley.S. »

I'd say block with the block being logged in the ACP somewhere really.

I also use the Advanced Block Mod on my board too which has the option to log & block IPs listed in places like spamhaus & spamcop, etc. not forgetting the timezone check too that holds off the spammers but not the proxy users :(
Regards,
JrTroopa

Post by JrTroopa »

Take your time, it will be worth it in the end. :mrgreen:

Personally I'd prefer if the mod blocked it immediately vs flagging it. I'm the only admin and have about 1 or 2 moderators that I trust, and I'm not very active, so it could be quite useful. Though, if there was a log of the masked ip, the real ip and which user was associated with the ip, then that might be a good idea. This log could appear in the ACP as well as the MCP.

I think that sounds about right.
Last edited by JrTroopa on Sun May 24, 2009 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”