[ABD] Facebook Connect 0.3.4

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
gfonseca

Re: [ALPHA] Facebook Connect

Post by gfonseca » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:01 pm

Again, thank you for working on such a valuable MOD.

However, am I the only one having a problem registering at the demo board with Facebook Connect? I click the FB Connect button and then enter my FB email and pw and get the following message:

"Logging in must go through the Facebook flow.
Please try again."

Any ideas why it won't allow me to register via FB connect on the demo board?

UPDATE: Nevermind, it seems to work now. For some reason I had to delete the already given email "field" and re-type it exactly the same. Not sure why this was, but it works now.
Last edited by gfonseca on Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zake black

Post by zake black » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:03 pm

Thanks again,

Confirmed you on facebook and re-logged in.

Nice the profile worked fine.

I also noted the link with existing account.. cool.

And the friendship between us was imported.. excellent stuff thanks.

I will over the next few days take a look at social networking buttons mod i mentioned before and see the how it intergrates. i suspect my request on this will be a simple one of directing the facebook profile link away from the website ref. to the facebook ref instead. :)

Cheers again..

Andy

DeViAnThans3

Post by DeViAnThans3 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:07 pm

gfonseca wrote:Again, thank you for working on such a valuable MOD.

However, am I the only one having a problem registering at the demo board with Facebook Connect? I click the FB Connect button and then enter my FB email and pw and get the following message:

"Logging in must go through the Facebook flow.
Please try again."

Any ideas why it won't allow me to register via FB connect on the demo board?
I have never came across this error yet. Could you let me know which browser you are using?
If it is Safari, this is a known Facebook Connect bug (see here: Facebook Platform Bug #5009). In that case, this is an issue Facebook is working on, and I can not change this in any way. :(
As per the info I can read, you should in that case enable 3th party cookies (if not enabled yet). :)
I only provide support via the appropriate topics! Please no PM or mails! :)
My MODs :: [BETA] Facebook Connect

gfonseca

Post by gfonseca » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:30 pm

No worries, it was my cookies. 3rd-Party Cookies were not enabled on my browser, don't know why. It works perfect!

BTW- Does the FB API allow you to import Birthdays along with the data you already have it set to import?

DeViAnThans3

Post by DeViAnThans3 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:37 pm

gfonseca wrote:No worries, it was my cookies. 3rd-Party Cookies were not enabled on my browser, don't know why. It works perfect!
Ok, great to hear! :)
gfonseca wrote: BTW- Does the FB API allow you to import Birthdays along with the data you already have it set to import?
This is an interesting question. It is so that Facebook does allow me to import birthdays, but it only works if the Facebook user has chosen to show their complete birthday (including year) on their profile. Next to that, according to the FB API documentation, this birthday can be provided to me in different formats, which could make it more difficult to parse the date, so that it could work for setting it in phpBB. However, I am definitely going to look in this!

Also, I wanted to add, it is possible for me to gather the locale (language) the Facebook user is using. I will, in a near future, also implement an automatic language detection. Which may not always work properly, however in most cases should do.

Thanks for everyone bringing suggestions and helpful testings! :)

Matthew69

Post by Matthew69 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:22 pm

Wow! You are amazing. I have been waiting on this for a while. I just got tired of looking for it so I just didn't look for a while. I personally think this could be something the phpBB could add in the standard phpBB package not everybody would find it useful but those who used it would really find it useful.

That's really all I have to offer you are going great with this mod and I will download this when ever you put up a download. Very very nice work :D

zake black

Post by zake black » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:01 pm

Hi,

Thought of a few more questions today.

Existing member takes the FB connect option and links the accounts. if they then try to login old way not FB connect will that still work? or would the password have been changed?

Also is it possible for members to un-connect the two accounts? if not is it possible for admins to do this?

Cheers

Andy

DeViAnThans3

Post by DeViAnThans3 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:38 pm

zake black wrote:Existing member takes the FB connect option and links the accounts. if they then try to login old way not FB connect will that still work? or would the password have been changed?
They can still log in the old way, the password and e-mail address will be preserved! Existing members who link their account to facebook, will not get data transferred either, except for empty fields. Example: if an existing member links his facebook account to his forum account, and he hasn't filled out his location in his forum account, the data from facebook will be transferred over to his forum account. Though, if that same user has already set some avatar, the facebook avatar will not be imported. (At least, this is the plan! In the current version, this is not yet correctly done .. still working on it!) :)
zake black wrote:Also is it possible for members to un-connect the two accounts? if not is it possible for admins to do this?
No, such an option is not there for members. There isn't such option for admins too, yet, and I am pretty sure that such "unlinking" would barely happen on live boards, no? Actually I can't think of any scenario why an user would like to unlink their account? :) If this feature would be of any use, however, I may implement it too :)

Today I've mainly worked on getting a MODX file settled. The MODX file is now nearly complete, I'll now continue developing the better handling of data mapping, and more advanced features for the Admin Panel. I'll also get the e-mails working, this is a priority which must be fixed. Once all these major things have been done, the beta release won't be far away anymore! :)

Thanks !!

zake black

Post by zake black » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:44 pm

No i understand about un-linking not requeired, was simply a question that would arise if passwords were changed thus meaning the only login after link up would be FB connect. for most not a problem, but others may prefer the old way. if passwords were changed then i could see some asking for unlink.

But as you said it wont be a problem as those fields are unchanged on link.

Cheers for the clarification.

Andy

DeViAnThans3

Post by DeViAnThans3 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:44 pm

:)

Yet another update: I managed to redirect all e-mails (like: subscriptions to topics/forums, new PM notifications, .. etc)to the notification system of Facebook. However it needs to be tweaked so that the large mails become small one-liners, since the long mails don't really blend in with the facebook notification system :)

I'll work that further out tomorrow :)

Matthew69

Post by Matthew69 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:55 am

I just got to play around with this for the first time. It runs seamlessly throughout your site, but only on the index. You can't use this on the login page, it takes you back to the index where you have to do it from there. Also, I don't like the whole password thing, and having to login from FB Connect box. Upon register, you should either be able to enter a password as you can a username, or at least be able to see your password so you can change it. I like to be able to know my passwords. :D

Also, I don't know if this mod caused this, but I never had this problem before. But, I tried to message someone on Facebook after using this, and it said I wasn't online, I refreshed, and it appeared that I was online. I went to my profile, and it gave information about my profile as it would if I wasn't logged in. But it had my name, so I doubt it was this mod, but I figure I should report it just to make sure :D

Anyway, this works great and will be worth the effort to install it, and will make everyone a lot more reluctant to join any site, it takes out so much work.

Should you be able to click the FB Connect anytime and just automatically login without having to use any information? That's how it appears to me, and using a computer I have to share, I don't want family to be able to login to my accounts.

zake black

Post by zake black » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:30 am

Matthew69 wrote:I just got to play around with this for the first time. It runs seamlessly throughout your site, but only on the index. You can't use this on the login page, it takes you back to the index where you have to do it from there. Also, I don't like the whole password thing, and having to login from FB Connect box. Upon register, you should either be able to enter a password as you can a username, or at least be able to see your password so you can change it. I like to be able to know my passwords. :D

Also, I don't know if this mod caused this, but I never had this problem before. But, I tried to message someone on Facebook after using this, and it said I wasn't online, I refreshed, and it appeared that I was online. I went to my profile, and it gave information about my profile as it would if I wasn't logged in. But it had my name, so I doubt it was this mod, but I figure I should report it just to make sure :D

Anyway, this works great and will be worth the effort to install it, and will make everyone a lot more reluctant to join any site, it takes out so much work.

Should you be able to click the FB Connect anytime and just automatically login without having to use any information? That's how it appears to me, and using a computer I have to share, I don't want family to be able to login to my accounts.
Im pretty sure this is how phpbb works anyway? if im browsing a forum not logged in and then do so on my own board it returns me to the index. (i checked on this board also and the same thing happens. back to index)

The only time this dont happen is when i click to post when not logged in and then login it takes me to the post new message screen.

I tested this on this mod and its worth noting if you take this option the connect with facebook option is missing from this login screen.

cheers

Matthew69

Post by Matthew69 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:52 am

My bad. I didn't notice that it logs me in automatically. Well I still don't like that fact that all I have to do is click the button and it will log me in with out a password, that could be very dangerous on a shared computer, for example, a school computer.

I have a few questions! I see that this uses javascripts to load the popup box. Will you be able to put the facebook connect button in the header, and use it on anypage? Or will it only work on the index and login page?

Also, I am pondering the idea of using OpenID also, would this mod: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1666925 Work with this mod?

sathsara

Post by sathsara » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:49 am

I love this! can't wait

DeViAnThans3

Post by DeViAnThans3 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:54 am

Some answers :)
Matthew69 wrote:Also, I don't know if this mod caused this, but I never had this problem before. But, I tried to message someone on Facebook after using this, and it said I wasn't online, I refreshed, and it appeared that I was online. I went to my profile, and it gave information about my profile as it would if I wasn't logged in. But it had my name, so I doubt it was this mod, but I figure I should report it just to make sure :D
This MOD normally can not have caused this, since it doesn't use extended permissions :)
Matthew69 wrote:I just got to play around with this for the first time. It runs seamlessly throughout your site, but only on the index. You can't use this on the login page, it takes you back to the index where you have to do it from there. Also, I don't like the whole password thing, and having to login from FB Connect box. Upon register, you should either be able to enter a password as you can a username, or at least be able to see your password so you can change it. I like to be able to know my passwords. :D
I'm soon implementing it so that, for the first time you want to change your password or e-mail at a phpBB forum with this MOD installed, and you registered through facebook, no password will be needed to change it. So if people want to change it, they WILL be abled to :)
Because most people don't seem to need this function, I will probably however not add a password box on the page where you must also change a username, as than, the use of this MOD would be less ;)
Matthew69 wrote:My bad. I didn't notice that it logs me in automatically. Well I still don't like that fact that all I have to do is click the button and it will log me in with out a password, that could be very dangerous on a shared computer, for example, a school computer.
If you log out at Facebook, and than click the Facebook Connect button at a site, the Facebook Login screen will pop up. So there is basically no danger at all, if you log out at Facebook :)
If wanted, I can make sure that Facebook is automatically logged out if you log out on your site. Is that of some use to you?
Matthew69 wrote: I have a few questions! I see that this uses javascripts to load the popup box. Will you be able to put the facebook connect button in the header, and use it on anypage? Or will it only work on the index and login page?
This is perfectly possible :)
Matthew69 wrote: Also, I am pondering the idea of using OpenID also, would this mod: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1666925 Work with this mod?
Certainly (at least I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work!).

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”