[ABD] Facebook Connect 0.3.4

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Matthew69

Re: [ALPHA] Facebook Connect

Post by Matthew69 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:22 pm

Well, at this points all my worries and doubts about this mod are gone :)

adzyboy

Post by adzyboy » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:23 pm

Oooh, this is something I've always wanted. Just never really gotten round to properly researching into how.
Just registered on your forum with fbconnect and it works perfectly, apart from the location section of the profile is just a comma instead of well.. my location.

Looking forward to when this is eventually released. Good work :)

DeViAnThans3

Post by DeViAnThans3 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:11 pm

Thank you all :)

I've another update! The notification system has now been perfected. So, to explain it in short words, this MOD will now send a notification to the facebook user just like a normal user would receive a mail. This notification appears in the -what a surprise!- notification window of Facebook.

Basically, this MOD is programmed and configurable so that for ANY kind of e-mail being sent via the board a notification is sent!This means this notification system is highly compatible with other modifications which may send e-mails themselves too :)

At this moment I have only provided a short Facebook notification for private messages at the demo board, if you receive a private message of any other kind, you will get a specific, short notification message in your Facebook notifications window. For other e-mails (by example a topic subscription), I have not yet written the short messages, so you will receive the complete mails in the notification window, which obviously isn't really attractive ;)

A screenshot of the facebook notifications window received from my demo board (I'm sorry, my Facebook account is in dutch, so this actually is the dutch notifications window of Facebook. It should however be recognizable ;) ).

Clicking the subject of the PM in here, will take you instantly to the PM in question :)

**edit: it is by the way possible to change the icon before this notification! I just haven't applied this in my Facebook Application settings :) **
I only provide support via the appropriate topics! Please no PM or mails! :)
My MODs :: [BETA] Facebook Connect

zake black

Post by zake black » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:57 pm

DeViAnThans3 wrote:Thank you all :)

I've another update! The notification system has now been perfected. So, to explain it in short words, this MOD will now send a notification to the facebook user just like a normal user would receive a mail. This notification appears in the -what a surprise!- notification window of Facebook.

Basically, this MOD is programmed and configurable so that for ANY kind of e-mail being sent via the board a notification is sent!This means this notification system is highly compatible with other modifications which may send e-mails themselves too :)

At this moment I have only provided a short Facebook notification for private messages at the demo board, if you receive a private message of any other kind, you will get a specific, short notification message in your Facebook notifications window. For other e-mails (by example a topic subscription), I have not yet written the short messages, so you will receive the complete mails in the notification window, which obviously isn't really attractive ;)

A screenshot of the facebook notifications window received from my demo board (I'm sorry, my Facebook account is in dutch, so this actually is the dutch notifications window of Facebook. It should however be recognizable ;) ).

Clicking the subject of the PM in here, will take you instantly to the PM in question :)

**edit: it is by the way possible to change the icon before this notification! I just haven't applied this in my Facebook Application settings :) **
Would you be so kind to send me a PM via your board? user id andrew.checkley

Cheers

chuckun

Post by chuckun » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:10 pm

this is absolutely brilliant progress!

Keep up the good work! I am really looking forward to the BETA release! :)

Thank you ever so much once again!

Chuckun

rufuz

Post by rufuz » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:24 am

zake black wrote:
Im pretty sure this is how phpbb works anyway? if im browsing a forum not logged in and then do so on my own board it returns me to the index. (i checked on this board also and the same thing happens. back to index)

The only time this dont happen is when i click to post when not logged in and then login it takes me to the post new message screen.
prime quick login mod: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 9&t=602909

does the redirection after the login and it is pretty an indispensable/essential mod... maybe it could be in some way integrated with the facebook login?

bye,

ricc.

DeViAnThans3

Post by DeViAnThans3 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:59 am

zake black wrote:Would you be so kind to send me a PM via your board? user id andrew.checkley
Done! Thank you for testing :)
chuckun wrote:this is absolutely brilliant progress!

Keep up the good work! I am really looking forward to the BETA release! :)

Thank you ever so much once again!

Chuckun
It may be there quite soon, this was the last important feature which I wanted to have in the BETA release. There are now just a few finishing touches and bugfixes left. By the weekend, a BETA release may be there :)
rufuz wrote:prime quick login mod: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 9&t=602909

does the redirection after the login and it is pretty an indispensable/essential mod... maybe it could be in some way integrated with the facebook login?
That isn't a big deal normally; I'll -if I think at it when finishing off- provide an extra modx file in the contrib folder to integrate with the prime quick login mod. :)

conon

Post by conon » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:24 am

Great job. Really looking forward to the Beta!

zake black

Post by zake black » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:27 am

rufuz wrote:
zake black wrote:
Im pretty sure this is how phpbb works anyway? if im browsing a forum not logged in and then do so on my own board it returns me to the index. (i checked on this board also and the same thing happens. back to index)

The only time this dont happen is when i click to post when not logged in and then login it takes me to the post new message screen.
prime quick login mod: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 9&t=602909

bye,

ricc.

This looks like it just places a login on each page.rather than redirect after login in to the page you were last browsing.. cheers

rufuz

Post by rufuz » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:24 am

zake black wrote:This looks like it just places a login on each page.rather than redirect after login in to the page you were last browsing.. cheers
No, it makes boths things, I have installed it on my forum (in signature, follow forum link) , you can try it. Works in every condition, and it's easy to install, priceless...
It doesn't redirect only if you go to the standard login page, but that seems not a great issue, since that's no reason to go there when you have the form right in the page....

Bye

ricc.

chuckun

Post by chuckun » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:37 pm

Apologies if I've missed this answer already in the thread, but I have a question..

When somebody creates a new thread on the forum, could it be published on their facebook profile as "I created a topic on *forum name* called *topic title* - check it out!"

and possibly when they reply on a thread, do a similar thing? "I replied to the thread *thread title* on *forum name*"

is this allowed by the API or not? If so, could it be implemented? I understand there are certain API usage rules... So if this is allowed, would they have to have the option of turning this feature on/off?

Thanks!
Chuckun

DeViAnThans3

Post by DeViAnThans3 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:51 pm

This is on the roadmap (see first topic), however I probably won't implement it in the first beta release yet. Afterwards, it will be implemented however. This will require quite a few extra edits in phpBB files and template files, and the admin will be abled to turn it on/off via the admin panel! The user itself however will, upon each reply or new topic, need to Allow or cancel a publish dialog, if turned on.
At forums where many posts are done, however, I do not recommend to turn on this feature, since it can become quite annoying to always click the publish dialog away.

So .. it is allowed by the API, and will be implemented within some release, however it is not recommended to be used on larger boards (yet) :)

chuckun

Post by chuckun » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:56 pm

Great! Thanks a lot :)

I'd probably only turn it on for new threads :) But it could be handy to have it for replies too..

Anyway thanks a lot for clearing that up (quickly! :))

You're gonna be my phpBB god when this is released xD :)

Chuckun

EDIT: wow, too many smileys xD lol

DeViAnThans3

Post by DeViAnThans3 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:29 pm

Another update for you guys, so far I've done quite some bugfixes today.
  • Fixed the location import bug (if a Facebook user has not entered their current location, there will no longer be imported a ",", but just, as it should be, nothing).
  • Ensured that the proxied e-mail address of a facebook user who registered at your site is NOT shown anywhere. This is a limitation of the Terms Of Usage of Facebook Connect, and as such I enforce this to take effect: people who register via Facebook will automatically have the setting "Users can contact me by mail" turned off. Additionally, users can not turn it on (they can, however, it will not be saved.). This is only enforced until they change their e-mail address to a non-proxied email address (so their real e-mail address!).
  • Fixed: The facebook connect icon is not shown in the login box if you clicked a link in an e-mail, or at a certain page which requires a login (not index or login page). After logging in, you are automatically redirected to the page you were about to view! You can test this by clicking on a username (to view their profile) at the demo board, and than using the facebook connect button.
    (note: this redirection is not yet done if you log in using facebook for the first time .. working on that now!)
  • New Import: the birthdate is now imported, however I need this further tested, I have no account tested yet which has not set the birth date.. so I don't know what will happen if such people would log in :)
Pretty close to a release now :)
The only thing to be done until the beta release, is writing the installation script (UMIL?), and testing the MODX on a fresh phpbb install (to see nothing has been forgotten). Also, write a few short phrases for facebook notifications (subscriptions etc), and complete the redirection function as said above. ;)

Matthew69

Post by Matthew69 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:57 pm

You are seriously my hero. I am very excited for this mod, and will install your beta as soon as it is released. Very very good work. A lot of people will benefit from this mod :D

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”