[ABD] Facebook Connect 0.3.4

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
DeViAnThans3

Re: [BETA] Facebook Connect

Post by DeViAnThans3 »

I'm not trying to rush things ;)
It's just very frustrating that the smallest features (configuration option) causes the most trouble..

The more I think about it, the more I think it is just the server who cannot handle it, or is wrongly configured. The trouble is, my development PC is broken, so I have no other server to test upon :)

Well, I'm going to remove this option.. it has taken far too much time (all day), and it isn't worth all the effort. Nearly nobody would use that option anyway.. :)

Lol, and now I'm stuck with the 500 .. even after removing the option :? :) Definitely a server problem. I'll try to get a hand on another server to test. However it will be a server even less performant than this one .. so I doubt it would still work out..

Since I'm encountering these problems, I can't set any time frame currently. It all depends on 1) a good test server or 2) a quick returnal of my development PC (however this will still take a month for sure!)
I only provide support via the appropriate topics! Please no PM or mails! :)
My MODs :: [BETA] Facebook Connect

zake black

Post by zake black »

DeViAnThans3 wrote:I'm not trying to rush things ;)
It's just very frustrating that the smallest features (configuration option) causes the most trouble..

The more I think about it, the more I think it is just the server who cannot handle it, or is wrongly configured. The trouble is, my development PC is broken, so I have no other server to test upon :)

Well, I'm going to remove this option.. it has taken far too much time (all day), and it isn't worth all the effort. Nearly nobody would use that option anyway.. :)

Lol, and now I'm stuck with the 500 .. even after removing the option :? :) Definitely a server problem. I'll try to get a hand on another server to test. However it will be a server even less performant than this one .. so I doubt it would still work out..

Since I'm encountering these problems, I can't set any time frame currently. It all depends on 1) a good test server or 2) a quick returnal of my development PC (however this will still take a month for sure!)

Ok cool based on this then, obviously at my own risk if i were not wanting to wait a month or probebly more for RC then i think i may go live as is. im happy with the stability of what i have so far. which only leaves one question when you do update will you be providing update instructions? I know you did on the last one but just wanted to be sure?

Also if you need a server to test on? my host provides me unlimited BW and space.. so i can set you some space aside for you if it helps with ftp access? (obviosuly this would restricted to a set path so its outside of my own site and test area) just thought id offer if it helps.. this is not somthing that i would normally do but love this mod and happy to help if need be :)

Cheers andy

DeViAnThans3

Post by DeViAnThans3 »

Hey Andy,

I will provide update instructions normally!

Thanks a lot for your offer! However, for several reasons I will pass on it :)
I do have one other server, which is a bit slower, however PHP may run smoother on that one (that's what I'm going to find out very soon ;) ). It's a server provided by students for students of my college.
Next to that, if I am intensively doing testing (especially related to the avatars), the CPU load may go up quite a bit :) And I definitely wouldn't want you to get banned due to some CPU overload which wasn't even caused by your own site :) And yes, the script is sometimes intense when I include some debugging phrases within the scripts ;)
Still, a lot of thanks for your offer! :)

zake black

Post by zake black »

DeViAnThans3 wrote:Hey Andy,

I will provide update instructions normally!

Thanks a lot for your offer! However, for several reasons I will pass on it :)
I do have one other server, which is a bit slower, however PHP may run smoother on that one (that's what I'm going to find out very soon ;) ). It's a server provided by students for students of my college.
Next to that, if I am intensively doing testing (especially related to the avatars), the CPU load may go up quite a bit :) And I definitely wouldn't want you to get banned due to some CPU overload which wasn't even caused by your own site :) And yes, the script is sometimes intense when I include some debugging phrases within the scripts ;)
Still, a lot of thanks for your offer! :)
No worrys, thought i should offer given the problems you stated.. :) again not in an effort to speed the process but simply because i thought it may help.

Cheers

DeViAnThans3

Post by DeViAnThans3 »

Kk, thanks :D

DeViAnThans3

Post by DeViAnThans3 »

I have moved my development to the other server, and it is working like a charm! While images etc. are loaded somewhat slower, the PHP works like 3 times as fast :D

Also, the avatar problem now seems fixed (no 500 Internal Server Errors anymore etc!), just like it should be!

Please note that the demo forum currently may still have issues, however I'm now developing on the other server. There wouldn't be any big changes anyway which would affect the user side anymore!

If the server keeps performing like this, we may expect a new version within a week :D

zake black

Post by zake black »

Just a quick question, should i feel the need to remove the mod at any point.. clearly just remove all the edits and the files i uploaded. but the sql entrys can these just be left? as if the mod is removed i assume the entrys will not be called upon? so no impact leaving them behind?

DeViAnThans3

Post by DeViAnThans3 »

Indeed, if you leave these SQL stuff behind, it won't be called upon. It will just be an extra table in your SQL database.
Do note that, if you re-install it afterwards, this may give problems (until I switched to UMIL, at least). If you uninstall with the possibility of reinstalling it at any point, I recommend to undo the SQL changes too. (Never forget to take backups! ;))

zake black

Post by zake black »

DeViAnThans3 wrote:Indeed, if you leave these SQL stuff behind, it won't be called upon. It will just be an extra table in your SQL database.
Do note that, if you re-install it afterwards, this may give problems (until I switched to UMIL, at least). If you uninstall with the possibility of reinstalling it at any point, I recommend to undo the SQL changes too. (Never forget to take backups! ;))
cheers no worrys :)

DeViAnThans3

Post by DeViAnThans3 »

I'm happy to announce all minor edits I had planned are now done. At this moment I may have the most stable version of the MOD so far.
Tomorrow I start with a new feature - Data Mapping.
Most probably I will not provide an admin backend for this (since it would require yet another table + it is a function you normally only use once or twice while utilizing Facebook Connect).
I will probably go for a XML datamap (which allows people to map data via an XML file).

This does allow some flexibility for data mapping, and some advanced configuration options within the XML.
An example of the format *could* be: (I still have to make sure this actually is usable :)

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<datamap>
	<import type="user">
		<source>{INTERESTS}</source>
		<destination>user_interests</destination>
	</import>
	<import type="user">
		<sourceValidate parameters="1,2" validIf="notEmpty">{LOCATION.CITY}, {LOCATION.COUNTRY}</sourceValidate>
		<sourceValidate parameters="1" validIf="notEmpty">{LOCATION.CITY}</sourceValidate>
		<sourceValidate parameters="2" validIf="notEmpty">{LOCATION.COUNTRY}</sourceValidate>
		<destination>user_interests</destination>
	</import>
	<import type="custom">
		<source>{FIRST_NAME} {LAST_NAME}</source>
		<destination>real_name</destination>
	</import>
</datamap>

Bogey

Post by Bogey »

Good luck buddy... waiting for the next great release.

samureye

Post by samureye »

Nice Mod, here's my problem.

I made an account through the FB button. By doing this, if I wanted to log in manually, in the event that I got rid of the mod, I had no PW.

So I went and decided to change my email for a reset, but it required a PW, which I don't have, I thought it would be my FB password, but that didn't work.

Admin was able to manually reset my password, which allowed me to change my email. Upon doing this, trying to retrieve my password simply does not work, even though I put in my username, and email, which logging in confirmed, was changed properly.

Since I had the password changed via another admin, I changed my pw again, and no matter what I was unable to log in to the ACP. I had to do CAPTCHA many times, and it simply did not work.

I think it would work best if everyone made an account manually. Could there be a way that when you press the fbConnect button and you don't have an account, you are given a link to register a new account the long way? Seems like doing this THEN linking to FB will work.

Also, deactivating this MOD, I still cannot log in using email and pw, at all.

Nauthez

Post by Nauthez »

So you said that you were going to include the ability to add a password when you linked an account. Is that coming out in the next release or are you still testing it?

DeViAnThans3

Post by DeViAnThans3 »

samureye wrote:Nice Mod, here's my problem.

I made an account through the FB button. By doing this, if I wanted to log in manually, in the event that I got rid of the mod, I had no PW.

So I went and decided to change my email for a reset, but it required a PW, which I don't have, I thought it would be my FB password, but that didn't work.

Admin was able to manually reset my password, which allowed me to change my email. Upon doing this, trying to retrieve my password simply does not work, even though I put in my username, and email, which logging in confirmed, was changed properly.

Since I had the password changed via another admin, I changed my pw again, and no matter what I was unable to log in to the ACP. I had to do CAPTCHA many times, and it simply did not work.

I think it would work best if everyone made an account manually. Could there be a way that when you press the fbConnect button and you don't have an account, you are given a link to register a new account the long way? Seems like doing this THEN linking to FB will work.

Also, deactivating this MOD, I still cannot log in using email and pw, at all.
The problem of not being able to change your password/e-mail is fixed, just not in a released version yet. This immediatly answers Nauthez's question: this WILL be included in the next release (and is fully tested). Once you have set a password, you should be abled to log in to the ACP without any problems, since the Facebook Connect MOD makes no changes in the normal login procedure. Could another MOD or custom modification be causing this problem, maybe? I'll though check it out :)
One question though .. did you change the default usergroup for Facebook users? Or is it still set to Registered Users ?

Also, if you link an existing user, the password of that user won't be changed, so in that case it won't be a problem :)

About your question of letting everyone make an account manually ... There is no way I will include this in any future version, since this MOD would than be absolutely unnecessary (if you have to register anyway, why would you link a Facebook account then!!). :)
You can however force it yourself: simply edit the fbconnect_body.html file, remove the option to make a new account and add some info and a link to your registration page.. this way, all Facebook users are still forced to register at your site, before they can link their accounts.

Music-cro

Post by Music-cro »

Hey
Please help.
I installed mod and when I click on the icon of the facebook is not going to anything.
Why?

Code: Select all

http://music-cro-test.korisnik.com/phpBB3/
Thanks
Last edited by Music-cro on Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”