[ABD] Facebook Connect 0.3.4

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Encore204

Re: [BETA] Facebook Connect 0.3.0

Post by Encore204 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:14 pm

DeViAnThans3 wrote:The UTF-8 encoding of phpbb_fbids table, normally can't have anything to do with the username since the username is stored in phpbb_users which by default is UTF-8. I'll however look into this issue too. It indeed should be fixed :) Possibly it is just an issue with the server, once again, but will be trying out all that stuff :) Thanks everyone!!
btw, i tried to register on my test board using my real surname which contains (ć.č.š) and i got
auj??i??
So it seems that the problem also hits eastern european letters šđčćž

stathisch

Post by stathisch » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:00 pm

I'd like to ask something about this data thats being imported and can be stored for 24-hrs.
What kind of data is it? (Sorry if it's answered in the topic, I just can't read 35 pages of posts at once :P)

If you're talking about Interests, etc, etc, how does FB know that the data wasn't altered by the user in the forum, and thus are different from the FB ones? In this case, do the FB terms still apply?

Encore204

Post by Encore204 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:11 pm

stathisch wrote:I'd like to ask something about this data thats being imported and can be stored for 24-hrs.
What kind of data is it? (Sorry if it's answered in the topic, I just can't read 35 pages of posts at once :P)

If you're talking about Interests, etc, etc, how does FB know that the data wasn't altered by the user in the forum, and thus are different from the FB ones? In this case, do the FB terms still apply?

stathisch

Post by stathisch » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:36 pm

Well.
What if the user enters the same location as his FB account, just to overwrite it, and uploads the same avatar as he has in FB.
It's not FB data anymore.

DeViAnThans3

Post by DeViAnThans3 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:05 pm

stathisch wrote:Well.
What if the user enters the same location as his FB account, just to overwrite it, and uploads the same avatar as he has in FB.
This is indeed true, however chances are pretty low that avatar, location, interests, signature etc. are exactly the same set at your forum as on Facebook :)
In that case the Facebook terms probably don't apply anymore, even though I can't say for sure of course. :) But once again, chances are pretty low ... and the data importer would be useless if people entered these details themselves ;)
Encore204 wrote:Stupid question, but a question still.
IF i disable data importing, so no avatars, and stuff like that,and set data syincing to 0 there will be no data syncing on my board?
right =?
If you disable data importing only, data syncing should be disabled too. :) And this indeed disables the importing of avatars, location, interests, ... everything like that! :)

As said, I'll probably going a new direction for the data importing, unless anyone has better ideas to get round the possible issues caused if the sync script "crashes". :)

For giving you guys an estimate on the possible slowdown on viewing topics when it needs to download data from Facebook for 15 different users on one page ... this may slow down the script for up to ~0.5 seconds (max). Usually the Facebook servers send a response pretty fast. Next to that, the Facebook API library has probably build-in controls to handle timeouts or errors in a short manner of time, to make sure the page doesn't turn white for any error related to the datafetching :)
I only provide support via the appropriate topics! Please no PM or mails! :)
My MODs :: [BETA] Facebook Connect

stathisch

Post by stathisch » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:12 pm

DeViAnThans3 wrote:
This is indeed true, however chances are pretty low that avatar, location, interests, signature etc. are exactly the same set at your forum as on Facebook :)
In that case the Facebook terms probably don't apply anymore, even though I can't say for sure of course. :) But once again, chances are pretty low ... and the data importer would be useless if people entered these details themselves ;)
What if the person copy/pasted them? :mrgreen:
It's a nice excuse though. xD

DeViAnThans3

Post by DeViAnThans3 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:34 pm

stathisch wrote:
DeViAnThans3 wrote:
What if the person copy/pasted them? :mrgreen:
It's a nice excuse though. xD
Hahahahahaha! :lol: Yeah, it is :P
Though, probably Facebook will say "prove it", which we obviously can't ;)

Nice try though, hahaha! 8-)

hww

Post by hww » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:12 pm

I've successfully installed this on a test board, and the 'login' aspect of the MOD seems to be working fine.

However, I can't get users' notifications (of either PMs or topic subscriptions) to show up in their Facebook notification windows. I've got everything set up correctly in the ACP.

Is it working for anyone else? Where should I begin troubleshooting? :lol:

(The problem isn't caused by my long Facebook user ID, because I can't get it working on friends' Facebook accounts either.)
Sorry for my English, but I am Australian. Forgive me please.

Encore204

Post by Encore204 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:19 pm

hww wrote:I've successfully installed this on a test board, and the 'login' aspect of the MOD seems to be working fine.

However, I can't get users' notifications (of either PMs or topic subscriptions) to show up in their Facebook notification windows. I've got everything set up correctly in the ACP.

Is it working for anyone else? Where should I begin troubleshooting? :lol:

(The problem isn't caused by my long Facebook user ID, because I can't get it working on friends' Facebook accounts either.)
working just fine for me.
plug and play actually, out of the box :D
i ll send you a pm on my board on which you are registered.

@Hans
IMO, data synchronization is not that important .
Ok, you can now throw stones at me, but on like 90 % of forums out there, people want their privacy preserved, so they would not like their avatars, localizations,and birthdays published.
And because of that, on lot of boards, this will be turned off.
This is IMO mkay :mrgreen:

stathisch

Post by stathisch » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:27 pm

DeViAnThans3 wrote:Hahahahahaha! :lol: Yeah, it is :P

Isn't that kinda bad though? Think about it. One might get in serious danger.
I think I should ask @ Facebook Developer forums.

hww

Post by hww » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:28 pm

Encore204 wrote:working just fine for me.
Thanks for that. Do the FB notifications arrive instantaneously, or is there usually a delay?

Also have you tested topic reply notifications, or just PM notifications?
Sorry for my English, but I am Australian. Forgive me please.

DeViAnThans3

Post by DeViAnThans3 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:33 pm

@hww: Normally this should indeed work out-of-the-box. Some things to keep in mind for notifications:
  • If the user to which a Facebook notification has to be sent has set up an e-mail address other than *@*.facebook.com, NO Facebook notifications will be sent!!
  • If the user to which a Facebook notification has to be sent has disabled e-mail notifications, also no Facebook notifications will be sent.
  • If every kind of e-mail communication is disabled at the board, this may effect in no Facebook notifications too.
  • Check the error log in the ACP for any e-mail errors which may be related to these Facebook notifications.
  • If all of the above are ok, check if all edits in includes/functions_messenger.php are made properly.
These notifications are usually sent within a few seconds. If it works for PM's, it also works for topic replies, new forum notifications, group related notifications ... nearly everything for which an e-mail is sent.
stathisch wrote:
DeViAnThans3 wrote:Hahahahahaha! :lol: Yeah, it is :P

Isn't that kinda bad though? Think about it. One might get in serious danger.
I think I should ask @ Facebook Developer forums.
Obviously, this is not something you must try for real ;) I were just laughing with it :D As said, Facebook will not take that excuse.

@Ante: Synchronization or data in general is indeed not the most important thing, but it really is a nice thing to have, right? ;)

Encore204

Post by Encore204 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:44 pm

hww wrote:
Encore204 wrote:working just fine for me.
Thanks for that. Do the FB notifications arrive instantaneously, or is there usually a delay?

Also have you tested topic reply notifications, or just PM notifications?
i ahve tested-
topic reply notifications
PM notifications
Invite notifications

everything would arrive instantly.
everything was working as it should

Encore204

Post by Encore204 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:49 pm

btw Hans, regarding the signs ???? instead of čćžšđ and other strange letters.
When a person registers with that kind of username, he or she can't login on the board via FB connect

CemetaryMan

Post by CemetaryMan » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:49 pm

DeViAnThans3 wrote:@hww: Normally this should indeed work out-of-the-box. Some things to keep in mind for notifications:
  • If the user to which a Facebook notification has to be sent has set up an e-mail address other than *@*.facebook.com, NO Facebook notifications will be sent!!
This basically answers my question if a member that is registered, uses the connect to a profile option, will not be getting any notifications. But is there a possibility in the future of setting up an extra function/box for the user to choose between getting the notifications with either an email address or on FB. Just thinking of members that are already registered on a site but wishes to use the FB notification instead of email :twisted:

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”