[ABD] Facebook Connect 0.3.4

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
DeViAnThans3

Re: [BETA] Facebook Connect 0.3.4

Post by DeViAnThans3 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:56 am

Chris26237 wrote:First, thanks for working on this great mod!! Next, I don't know if it's been brought up yet (since 82 pages is a lot to read through) but I have a couple of questions......
  • If the user clicks on any link after submitting linking/registration info and is on the "you're now logged in" message and prior to "your FB account is now linked" message, it seems the link doesn't complete. If you then click on the UCP/FB settings tab, the prosilver template is broken and there is no link info.
    --> is there any way to skip the "you're now logged in" message here so you can complete the link before the user has a chance to click away?
  • I'm not getting any data transferred from the FB account. Is this due to recent FB privacy settings upgrade?
  • I've read the recent posts about importing the avatar and have ensured the remote avatar feature is enabled, fb privacy setting is set to everyone, and ensured that phpbb size setting is greater than mod max size setting. Still no avatar.
A couple of suggestions
  • the language files need to refer to "Facebook" not "facebook". There are a couple of these there.
  • can some of the language files insert the name of the site instead of saying something like "welcome to this site"
  • I had to remove the width style attribute from the multi-friend selector as it was bleeding outside my template. I also added a "cols=4" attribute to the selector itself.
Once again, thanks much and am looking forward to the RC soon.
  • No, this is a standard phpBB function which I feel I shouldn't change :) Though, in an upcoming release the existing users linking feature will be implemented otherwise.
  • Have you enabled data import in the Facebook Connect settings in your ACP?
  • Same question as above :)
Suggestions:
  • Thanks. :) I haven't put much effort in language stuff yet, since my first focus is getting a bugfree application first :)
  • I'll look into that ;) Shouldn't be a problem normally.
  • This is official code copied from Facebook. It is also very dependant from template to template, so basically I can't set a correct value which is valid for all templates :)
Thanks for your input!! It's helpful :)
dashnu wrote:Another thing to add (not sure if the is the best place to put issues) pulling in facebook images for avatars breaks xhtml due to unencoded ampersands in URLs.
Haha, this is exactly the place where to put issues ;)
About the unencoded ampersands, I'm going to look inside that issue too ;) That's probably a small fix :)
I only provide support via the appropriate topics! Please no PM or mails! :)
My MODs :: [BETA] Facebook Connect

DeViAnThans3

Post by DeViAnThans3 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:01 am

Dochartagh wrote:I tried to test this facebook connect 0.3.4 on a new site I built with very little traffic.

Ran into this error on the SQL.

Code: Select all

Error

MySQL said: Documentation
#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'WHERE CONCAT_WS("-",  `config_name` ,  `config_value` ,  `is_dynamic` )
       ' at line 3 
I am on a hypermart.net server using MySQL 5.1 using PHP 5 with access to control the settings ( safe mode is OFF).

As it looks on the forum http://usatalks.org/forum the connect buttons show up but nothing happens when clicked on. have set the settings in the admin per instructions, have the API key from facebook.
any ideas on what I may have done wrong or is it a syntax error with the code with this version of MySQL?
You shouldn't mix usatalks.org and www.usatalks.org, Facebook makes a difference in that. Check out the connect url and base domain settings for your site.
This is the error that Facebook throws on your site:

The Facebook Connect cross-domain receiver URL (http://usatalks.org/forum/?fbc_channel=1) must be in the same domain or be in a subdomain of an application's base domain (www.usatalks.org). You can configure the base domain in the application's settings.
The SQL error, where is it thrown? It's quite a weird error, since my MOD never ever used CONCAT functions in SQL queries, let alone calls to the config table ... I'ld think in first place that it is caused by another modification (either codeside or dataside). :)

DeViAnThans3

Post by DeViAnThans3 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:30 pm

dashnu wrote:
DeViAnThans3 wrote:
dashnu wrote:Another thing to add (not sure if the is the best place to put issues) pulling in facebook images for avatars breaks xhtml due to unencoded ampersands in URLs.
Haha, this is exactly the place where to put issues ;)
About the unencoded ampersands, I'm going to look inside that issue too ;) That's probably a small fix :)
If you come up with a fix soon can you post it here? I also have this problem with another mod, I am sure the fix is similar.

Thanks!
Obviously :)
In case I'ld release the new version (and also listed this as "fixed" in the release notes), and forget to post the fix, just remind me ;) :D

Dochartagh
Name: David Doherty

Post by Dochartagh » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:00 am

DeViAnThans3 wrote:
Dochartagh wrote:I tried to test this facebook connect 0.3.4 on a new site I built with very little traffic.

Error

#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'WHERE CONCAT_WS("-",  `config_name` ,  `config_value` ,  `is_dynamic` )
       ' at line 3 
I am on a hypermart.net server using MySQL 5.1 using PHP 5 with access to control the settings ( safe mode is OFF).

As it looks on the forum http://usatalks.org/forum the connect buttons show up but nothing happens when clicked on. have set the settings in the admin per instructions, have the API key from facebook.
any ideas on what I may have done wrong or is it a syntax error with the code with this version of MySQL?
You shouldn't mix usatalks.org and http://www.usatalks.org, Facebook makes a difference in that. Check out the connect url and base domain settings for your site.

The Facebook Connect cross-domain receiver URL (http://usatalks.org/forum/?fbc_channel=1) must be in the same domain or be in a subdomain of an application's base domain (www.usatalks.org). You can configure the base domain in the application's settings.
The SQL error, where is it thrown? It's quite a weird error, since my MOD never ever used CONCAT functions in SQL queries, let alone calls to the config table ... I'ld think in first place that it is caused by another modification (either codeside or dataside). :)
The SQL Error: I first ran the automod and then was checking with the DIY instructions. I was in my phpadmin and attempted to run the SQL from the DIY instructions that generated the error. Automod may have already set the database before I did that may be the cause of that error.

The Facebook Connect cross-domain receiver URL issue I have ran into before on another site embedding video to facebook like youtube does. I fixed that by editing some code in the .htaccess file would that help here as well? or is there a setting in PhPBB I should check?

Lastly, am using the prosilver_se template looks like I got things over from the prosilver by using automods feature to convert to the template but could it have missed some things I should check.

This is a very nice mod , since this site I put it on is live but not really active at this point I don't mind testing a beta mod on it.
Thanks,
Dochartagh

DeViAnThans3

Post by DeViAnThans3 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:45 am

Dochartagh wrote:
DeViAnThans3 wrote:

Error

' at line 3 

You shouldn't mix usatalks.org and http://www.usatalks.org, Facebook makes a difference in that. Check out the connect url and base domain settings for your site.

The SQL Error: I first ran the automod and then was checking with the DIY instructions. I was in my phpadmin and attempted to run the SQL from the DIY instructions that generated the error. Automod may have already set the database before I did that may be the cause of that error.

The Facebook Connect cross-domain receiver URL issue I have ran into before on another site embedding video to facebook like youtube does. I fixed that by editing some code in the .htaccess file would that help here as well? or is there a setting in PhPBB I should check?

Lastly, am using the prosilver_se template looks like I got things over from the prosilver by using automods feature to convert to the template but could it have missed some things I should check.

This is a very nice mod , since this site I put it on is live but not really active at this point I don't mind testing a beta mod on it.
Thanks,
Dochartagh
Hehe ;)
The main thing you should check is the base domain + connect URL in your Facebook application settings (in the application which you created at www.facebook.com/developers). There are 2 possible options for you here:
1)
base domain: usatalks.org
connect url: http://usatalks.org/forum/
2)
base domain: www.usatalks.com
connect url: http://www.usatalks.org/forum/

Other options are nearly impossible .. :)

Dochartagh
Name: David Doherty

Post by Dochartagh » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:06 pm

DeViAnThans3,
I tried the impossible way last night. Due to the bridge from joomla to the forum it likes http://website instead of http://www.website. I actually got the .htaccess to force http://www but it caused loss of session. When I attempted to change all to www messed up my cookie sessions had to run the STK mod to get back to the admin panel LOL.
I disabled the mod thru automod looks like it disabled properly see no errors.
I will try attacking it again later on when I can get my head around it.
Will check on facebook/developer and try and make sure all my ducks are in a row before attempting again.

Thanks,
Dochartagh

DeViAnThans3

Post by DeViAnThans3 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:36 pm

Dochartagh wrote:DeViAnThans3,
I tried the impossible way last night. Due to the bridge from joomla to the forum it likes http://website instead of http://www.website. I actually got the .htaccess to force http://www but it caused loss of session. When I attempted to change all to www messed up my cookie sessions had to run the STK mod to get back to the admin panel LOL.
I disabled the mod thru automod looks like it disabled properly see no errors.
I will try attacking it again later on when I can get my head around it.
Will check on facebook/developer and try and make sure all my ducks are in a row before attempting again.

Thanks,
Dochartagh
K, thanks for the update :)
Strange behaviour of the MOD, thats for sure.. :)

nmtechlv

Post by nmtechlv » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:54 pm

I admit, I haven't read thru all 82 pages in this forum, so please excuse me if I am repeating a question. But...I love this app and just wanted to know if anyone has successfully integrated it into their forums and could provide me with their URL's to view it. I've been to the demo URL and it works great, but I'd love to see some real life examples. Thanks!!

Encore204

Post by Encore204 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:20 pm

nmtechlv wrote:I admit, I haven't read thru all 82 pages in this forum, so please excuse me if I am repeating a question. But...I love this app and just wanted to know if anyone has successfully integrated it into their forums and could provide me with their URL's to view it. I've been to the demo URL and it works great, but I'd love to see some real life examples. Thanks!!
We have it installed on our board, 250+ users have connected their old accounts or registered new accounts using f connect, no problems :D

www.nasciturus.com/forum

Chris26237

Post by Chris26237 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:27 am

DeViAnThans3 wrote:
  • Have you enabled data import in the Facebook Connect settings in your ACP?
  • Same question as above :)
Yes, I did but I'll double check and retest. I'll post again if I see different results from original.

jostmart

Post by jostmart » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:12 am

Hi sorry for jumping in in this thread.
Do I understand the install procedure correctly if I have to manually edit files and put the snippets from install.xml into them?

Isn't it possible to get a diff of all the files which I then can apply with patch?
(man diff, man patch)

maxphew

Post by maxphew » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:35 am

Thank you DeViAnThans3 for making such an awesome mod for facebook connect, we have been searching for this for a long time, we have added this mod to our test forum and if you don;t mind we need your help with one of the problem we are been facing.

After adding the mod the Facebook connect button showed up fine and when we click on the button it does bring up the popup and lets us login to Facebook , but once we are redirected back to our forum or when the forum does the refresh, we still see the login and password box but memberlist shows that the user name for the Facebook is logged, please find the url and I am ready to give you any additional information required to help us with the problem.
Last edited by stickerboy on Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: URL not needed ;)

DeViAnThans3

Post by DeViAnThans3 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:53 am

dashnu wrote:Not sure if these have come up yet;

Selecting "Log me on automatically each visit" then using facebook connect causes a 404. It redirects to /fbconnect.php&autologin=1 for me. This could have to do with phpbb-seo and mod rewrite though?

Facebook Friend / Forums Friends;

User X signs up to my forms with facebook connect. I then find him on facebook and friend him. User X never appears in my forums friend list. When does the friend sync happen only once initially ?
I haven't seen the log on automatically bug yet, but I also haven't tested it yet; though I think I know where the problem resides :) This normally hasn't anything to do with phpBB SEO or mod_rewrite.

The user friendships are indeed never renewed; though I may, if you like, include a few features which can do these things automatically, or allow users themselves to click a button to do the linking automatically. :)
jostmart wrote:Hi sorry for jumping in in this thread.
Do I understand the install procedure correctly if I have to manually edit files and put the snippets from install.xml into them?

Isn't it possible to get a diff of all the files which I then can apply with patch?
(man diff, man patch)
Just like Dashnu pointed out, please follow the install.xml instructions to manually patch the files, or use AutoMOD to install it. I'm not too familiar with the diff tools yet, so I can't really provide a diff patch currently ;) But there is no need for it either with AutoMOD :)
maxphew wrote:Thank you DeViAnThans3 for making such an awesome mod for facebook connect, we have been searching for this for a long time, we have added this mod to our test forum and if you don;t mind we need your help with one of the problem we are been facing.

After adding the mod the Facebook connect button showed up fine and when we click on the button it does bring up the popup and lets us login to Facebook , but once we are redirected back to our forum or when the forum does the refresh, we still see the login and password box but memberlist shows that the user name for the Facebook is logged, please find the url and I am ready to give you any additional information required to help us with the problem.
This problem has been reported one time before, however I can't currently think of what the problem may be. Possibly I may want to append session ID's when logging in; I will try to do that in the next release :)
Have you had any similar problems before? With other MODs?

jostmart

Post by jostmart » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:21 am

Hi
I have exactly the same problem as maxphew. I do not have any other MODs installed other than the auto-installer. When installing FB-connect with it, everything went just fine.

I have saved the php-files (and databases) before and after installation, so that I can "roll-back" to a pre-facebook connect release.

One thing I saw was that my zip-file got renamed when downloaded, since there already were a zipfile with the same name there from a previous download of the code. I installed the version that got renamed, and the name og the zipfile got used in phpBB. It was changed from xxx(2) to xxx_2_.

If you have the tool "diff installed" just use it a little like this:
diff -u before-modification.php after-modification.php > patch.diff
Then patch will contain the modifications done. This can then be applied to a clean file with the tool patch.
It's nice.

Anyway: I think this mod rulez!

DeViAnThans3

Post by DeViAnThans3 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:28 am

The problem you a maxphew have reported doesn't apply for all servers; I think(though not sure) it may be a problem with sessions; I will *try* to fix it in the next version by appending a session ID to the url after logging in. I can't test though if that fix actually works ;) But that's for the next version :)

I can possibly do provide you with a "pre-fixed" fbconnect.php file, if you can test it working, that would solve that problem than :)

About diff: I'll consider installing it manually on a board and providing a diff patch file, though it isn't my priority currently yet ;) It seems the install.xml and AutoMOD installer do their job pretty well ;)

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”