[ABD] phpBB3 AJAX IM

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
superj707

Re: [DEV] phpBB3 AJAX IM

Post by superj707 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:51 am

everyone is starting to get really pumped up about this.

kmklr72
Name: Kevin

Post by kmklr72 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:12 am

Yet another update. I've managed to get the chatroom fixed, and I'm pretty sure I fixed the statuses problems as well. The admin functions have also been tested and are working. All of the major bugs that were in this mod are either gone or being worked on. I look forward to releasing 0.0.2 and getting your feedback.

jimcarrel

Post by jimcarrel » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:04 am

Excellent news, go for the gold! virtual cyber gold that is.
Grace--Getting what I don't deserve
Mercy--Not getting what I do deserve

ILoveWHU

Post by ILoveWHU » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:53 pm

kmklr72 wrote:Yet another update. I've managed to get the chatroom fixed, and I'm pretty sure I fixed the statuses problems as well. The admin functions have also been tested and are working. All of the major bugs that were in this mod are either gone or being worked on. I look forward to releasing 0.0.2 and getting your feedback.
That's great news. Am really looking forward to testing this :D

Will there be a way of either showing a particular room inside a topic where it can be used for Topic chat or alternatively linking from a topic post direct to a partricular room?

kmklr72

Post by kmklr72 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:11 pm

Not in this mod. It would be easier to use one of the other chat systems to get them into a topic (a bbcode should do the trick).

superj707

Post by superj707 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:38 pm

ILoveWHU wrote: That's great news. Am really looking forward to testing this :D

Will there be a way of either showing a particular room inside a topic where it can be used for Topic chat or alternatively linking from a topic post direct to a partricular room?

I know that you could do this with demon chat.

kmklr72

Post by kmklr72 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:22 am

Version 0.0.2 is out!

Yes the next version of phpBB3 AJAX IM is out. This version has seen quite a bit of work. Not only have there been more bug fixes that I can count, but there have been quite a few optimizations as well. Many people will be happy to hear that chatrooms now work correctly and statuses update like they should. An error message no longer comes up in the textbox when trying to change your profile information and you can now upload an avatar for the IM. There are more fixes but I can't think of them right now.

As for optimizations, there has been a change to how buddylists are handled. They no longer are queried every ping. Instead, they are only queried when they are changed. There have also been a few slow queries that are now optimized and the php backend of the system has been simplified overall.

Hopefully there aren't too many bugs but I look forward to hearing what you find in your tests.

superj707

Post by superj707 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:58 am

First congratulations on breaking major new ground here at the phpbb community. This is an epic mod like no other. This 0.0.2 release will forever lock you into the PHPBB hall of fame as far as I am concerned.

I feel like now that the system is solid as a stock php AJAX IM mod now the fun stuff comes.... changing it from "php AJAX that works in phpbb" to "PHPBB AJAX"

0.0.3 going to be the gold one that makes everyone jump for phpbb "sponge worthy" joy.

0.0.3 should have more bug fixes of course.. but the fun is the following.

Here are my suggestions for a truly integrated IM system for phpbb.

--->Site-wide IM .. chat from any phpbb page while browsing the forum. ( you know this already )

--->simplify a bunch of stuff to make it more integrated. more stuff running from UCP and less stuff as part of it's own system. It should feel like part of the site as opposed to feeling like it is it's own thing.

---> First 3 buttons go away. "+" , "-", and "IM anyone" ... those are all bad in my opinion. buddys should be the same friends one has on the phpbb site. and IM anyone is just asking for people to be stalked and have complaints.

---> a list that shows chat rooms your friends have started and are in.

---> "change buddy icon" button should go away and the phpbb user avatar should be used instead . Thus changing the site avatar changes the buddy icon. and the avatar of who you are chatting with should be visible at all times as opposed to disappearing after the first text IM comes in.

----> right clicking on a friend brings up an option "get info" this should take you to the user memberlist_view.html profile on the page in the back... (requires site wide modifications)

-----> Change settings button should go away. changing the pass word and profile should be done in the UCP not in the IM.

so the only buttons at the top of the IM would be CHATROOMS and MUTE ...(maybe a chatroom list link) these simplifications would make this thing so much more awesome. I think.

Excellent work kmklr... can't wait to see what you do next.

PS .... marry me !

Blazeflack

Post by Blazeflack » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:15 am

Great work so far. I have 1 question before I go ahead and install this mod. In the download package there is only files for prosilver. Does the mod support subsilver2 based styles yet? If so, is it as simple as doing the same install for subsilver2 based themes as for prosilver as mentioned in the install.xml?

just_guy

Post by just_guy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:09 am

Getting this error message when installing...

Updating a column named im_last_ping from table phpbb_users
ERROR: The column im_last_ping does not exist on table phpbb_users.

mtrs

Post by mtrs » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:24 am

Just a few notes after testing at localhost
- Install script first install 0.0.1 then 0.0.2
im_last_ping is added as text type in 0.0.1
but, in 0.0.2 it is removed first

Code: Select all

'table_column_remove'	=> array(
			array('phpbb_users', 'im_last_ping'),
		),
then, updated to varchar type, so error comes since a column, which was is already removed, was tried to be updated. Deleting table_column_remove code from install file fixes that error.

- chat room works, thanks, a minor thing is, if there is only one user in chat room, an error message comes when you write test message to yourself.
Error=> An unknown error occured while sending your message.
[11:01:28 am] admin: test
but, if a second user enters chat room, that error message is no longer seen.
I believe, there should be "show available chat rooms list", I couldn't find it.
- In 0.0.1 when we click AJAX IM link in overall header, also needed to press a second log on button to enter IM. Now, 0.0.2 shows you even username and password login entry as if they are need to enter IM. You can just hit log on, with no username password and enter AJAX IM.
- permissions_im.php file copy command is missing in install.xml and your www address is for your former site.
- in install.xml <open src="styles/prosilver/template/overall_footer.html"> s is missing.
- Block buddy button doesn't show username (not important but, wanted to report)
Are you sure you want to block buddy "%1"?
-

Fatal error: Using $this when not in object context in D:\xampp\htdocs\quickinstall\boards\im002\includes\functions_im.php on line 54
error comes after adding missing site_wide switch to ACP controll. I guess, you bottom bar is not completed yet.

Furthermore, I have a live board with 500 users, which I'm about to close in a month, so I will install 0.0.2 AJAX IM in that live board and test, report anything afterwards. Thanks for your hard work.
I abandoned all of my mods.

kmklr72

Post by kmklr72 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:29 pm

mtrs wrote:- Install script first install 0.0.1 then 0.0.2
im_last_ping is added as text type in 0.0.1
but, in 0.0.2 it is removed first

'table_column_remove'	=> array(
			array('phpbb_users', 'im_last_ping'),
		),
then, updated to varchar type, so error comes since a column, which was is already removed, was tried to be updated. Deleting table_column_remove code from install file fixes that error.
Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I will get that fixed asap.
mtrs wrote:- In 0.0.1 when we click AJAX IM link in overall header, also needed to press a second log on button to enter IM. Now, 0.0.2 shows you even username and password login entry as if they are need to enter IM. You can just hit log on, with no username password and enter AJAX IM.
I remade the template and forgot to get rid of the fields :lol: .
mtrs wrote:- permissions_im.php file copy command is missing in install.xml and your www address is for your former site.
- in install.xml <open src="styles/prosilver/template/overall_footer.html"> s is missing.
Thanks for the info. I've fixed that in the instructions, now I just need to upload the new package.
mtrs wrote:-

Fatal error: Using $this when not in object context in D:\xampp\htdocs\quickinstall\boards\im002\includes\functions_im.php on line 54
error comes after adding missing site_wide switch to ACP controll. I guess, you bottom bar is not completed yet.
This is a weird error because I'm using $this in a class. I never saw it in my tests either. What version of php are you using?

BTW, the bar isn't finished yet. I just kept that code in there to keep from losing it.

Edit: The new package has been uploaded

mtrs

Post by mtrs » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:37 pm

kmklr72 wrote:This is a weird error because I'm using $this in a class. I never saw it in my tests either. What version of php are you using?
Localhost XAMP php 5.2.8
I abandoned all of my mods.

jimcarrel

Post by jimcarrel » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:10 pm

I was wondering, is 0.0.2 a standalone or is installing 0.0.1 a requirement for 0.0.2 to work?
I'm asking because I only installed 0.0.2-- I have no errors and permissions are set, but options under ACP-->mods will not stick, thus, the messenger and links never show.
Grace--Getting what I don't deserve
Mercy--Not getting what I do deserve

kmklr72

Post by kmklr72 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:12 pm

It should be fine on a fresh install. Do you have DEBUG and DEBUG_EXTRA on when you try to change ACP settings?

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”