[ABD] MySpace/Facebook Style AJAX IM

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
mtrs

Re: [BETA] MySpace/Facebook Style AJAX Chat

Post by mtrs »

No, I'm testing on localhost on a vanilla phpBB3 test board. There is only two users, admin and test2.
I believe it is better to wait your next release. ;)
I abandoned all of my mods.
Bogey

Post by Bogey »

This is really weird... it works perfectly on my brand new install of phpBB3 and I was using the steps that I have given here...

You haven't made any changes to the code yourself, have you?

The only place the thing acts up on is IE when you press on a user the bottom bar disappears for some reason bu you are still able to send and receive messages... I tested it in Firefox, IE, Opera and Chrome on Windows XP Professional...

Also... what is vanilla... a style that you installed? It shouldn't matter what style you got though.
Stickygreen

Post by Stickygreen »

Interesting. Will implement once it get's more stable.

Thanks for your hard work.
DeViAnThans3

Post by DeViAnThans3 »

Bogey wrote:This is really weird... it works perfectly on my brand new install of phpBB3 and I was using the steps that I have given here...

You haven't made any changes to the code yourself, have you?

The only place the thing acts up on is IE when you press on a user the bottom bar disappears for some reason bu you are still able to send and receive messages... I tested it in Firefox, IE, Opera and Chrome on Windows XP Professional...

Also... what is vanilla... a style that you installed? It shouldn't matter what style you got though.
A vanilla install means, a clean install, without modifications or custom styles of any kind ;)

Keep the good work up :)
I only provide support via the appropriate topics! Please no PM or mails! :)
My MODs :: [BETA] Facebook Connect
Bogey

Post by Bogey »

In theory, it should work fine with everybody if everyone followed the install steps carefully and the DIY steps carefully... I've followed the same exact steps on my brand new install of phpBB 3.0.5 and it works for me... I'm still waiting for a confirmation from palismo... he made it sound like it works for him :lol:

@mtrs: could you go an extra mile and reinstall your phpBB installation and redo this mod?

@DeViAnThans3: Thanks for the explanation :) First time I met that term
mtrs

Post by mtrs »

Bogey wrote:This is really weird... it works perfectly on my brand new install of phpBB3 and I was using the steps that I have given here...
I install at localhost, no change I say again. I also download mod 3rd time, version number 0.0.1 same but have a few changes I see.
Bogey wrote:You haven't made any changes to the code yourself, have you?
No, it only gives php notice if friend list is empty after install,

Code: Select all

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3773: Undefined variable: session_result
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3774: Undefined variable: users_result
adding a friend removes this notice.
Bogey wrote:The only place the thing acts up on is IE when you press on a user the bottom bar disappears for some reason bu you are still able to send and receive messages... I tested it in Firefox, IE, Opera and Chrome on Windows XP Professional...
I couldn't see on XP, FF 3.0.12 or IE8. There is no buttom bar, though I set permission.
Bogey wrote:Also... what is vanilla... a style that you installed? It shouldn't matter what style you got though.
vanilla means fresh phpBB3 install with default setting and style, prosilver.
I installed with Automod, it gave two error, first directory name root/styles/prosilver/templates s is redundant, and ucp.php edit order is wrong, first edit should be above the next one.
I only fixed Automod errors, then installed mod.
Bogey wrote:@mtrs: could you go an extra mile and reinstall your phpBB installation and redo this mod?
Sure, I installed 3rd test board with quickinstall at localhost, no change. I guess my problem is not seeing the bottom bar.
I abandoned all of my mods.
Gleasonator

Post by Gleasonator »

Bogey,

Just like to let you know that Handyman's AJAX Chat (a popular mod which is installed on my forum) uses the table name "phpbb_chat" so I'm creating the table "phpbb_im" for this mod and modifying constants.php to account for it. It may be something to consider changing, as a lot of people use Handyman's AJAX Chat.

Your entry to "phpbb_acl_options" does not conflict with Handyman's AJAX Chat, but perhaps should still be changed for consistency (and to ensure that this mod wont further conflict with the AJAX Chat if Handyman decides to add that option later).

Installing your mod now, it looks great. :) Thank you for sharing.

EDIT: I also had to change chat.php to im.php, but I can't find where "chat.php" is referenced in the rest of the code to change to "im.php". Right now it seems to be importing my chat.php, because Handyman's AJAX Chat (which uses chat.php) is broken on my site.

It also changed the background color of my whole site to white. :lol: Just a small CSS issue though, I was planning on editing all the CSS anyway.

The bar shows with user's names on it (who are in my friends list), but clicking them does nothing. I am added on their lists, too (and they have permissions).

The JavaScript is being imported, and JS is enabled in my browser.

<script src="skeleton_up/stuHover.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="skeleton_up/skeleton.css" />
These two lines (overall_header.html) refer to files that aren't there.

EDIT2: I found and added these two files with no avail. The tokens in chat.html ARE rendering as HTML. Here is an example of the output:

<a title="wingeddemongurl" onclick="javascript:chatWith('wingeddemongurl')" href="javascript:void(0)">wingeddemongurl</a>
It's just, the onclick does nothing.
Sorry for my bad Engrish !
gleason|design

Bogey

Post by Bogey »

chat.h is referenced in chat.js about 3-4 times... look for something that looks similar to:

url: "chat.php?action=ChatHeartBeat",
and replace the chat.php to im.php.

I think I will change the chat.php to im.php

@mtrs: Try to install the mod by yourself without the AutoMOD (Although I'm not really sure what AutoMOD is).

I'll try to fix those errors that you get when you don't have any friends, thanks for telling me about when you get the errors.
twick100

Post by twick100 »

Here is automod http://www.phpbb.com/mods/automod/ . It really is a great idea and well implemented but its up to Mod Creators to keep their install.xml instruction in-line for it to work properly. I have used Automod for a couple other mods and it works quite well.
Gleasonator

Post by Gleasonator »

Thanks, Bogey.

Now that everything seems to be fixed up how it should be, my JS error reporting console (in FireBug) is reporting this on every page:

$.ajax is not a function
startChatSession()chat.js (line 328)
anonymous()chat.js (line 36)
anonymous()jquery.js (line 19)
anonymous([function(), function()], function(), Object name=F)jquery.js (line 12)
[Break on this error] success: function(data) {\n
And this every time a username is clicked in the bar:

$("#chatbox_" + chatboxtitle) is null
[Break on this error] if ($("#chatbox_"+chatboxtitle).length > 0) {\n
The IM windows still do not appear.
gleason|design

Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx »

Remeber that if you have jquery.js from other MOD's, you'll have conficts.
Bogey

Post by Bogey »

@Gleasonator: If the problem resides in JavaScript, I have no idea how to solve it... I'm a PHP guy... I don't know JavaScript... but I'm going to start learning PHP once I get $100 (somehow) to buy myself those O'Reilly books (Javascrit and AJAX).

@Peter77sx: But jquery.js should be the same unless it was modified secifically for the mod... so if you have one linked, then don't link a second one ;)

I'll look more into it once I get home from work.
Gleasonator

Post by Gleasonator »

What's strange to me is that I've I've changed all references to "chat.php" to say "im.php" but my AJAX chat mod is still broken.

Not sure what the cause could be.
gleason|design

Bogey

Post by Bogey »

When I get home I will look at all the files and find all the chat and change them to IM... after than I will zip it up and put it up here... I like your idea since the messages are a bit more instant then a reguar chat since the chat is always there... oosed to a certain age dedicated to chat.
Gleasonator

Post by Gleasonator »

Thank you.

Once I get this working I plan to modify the CSS (and maybe HTML) to my liking and post it here in case others would like to use it. I'll also create a dark version for dark phpBB skins.

I'll also happily help with any HTML/CSS/images you might need (if you need any help) once I get this working. :)

Thanks again.
gleason|design

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”