[ABD] Shmoogle Maps MOD

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
youngjediknight

Re: [DEV] Shmoogle Maps MOD

Post by youngjediknight »

BassFace wrote:
youngjediknight wrote:Can you make the fields customizable in the ACP so that it truly does become a module?
I am not sure what you mean... :shock: Could you elaborate a bit?
Actually I’ve been giving this even more thought in terms of a completely modular map mod. Just thinking aloud here ... going back to my example of a hiking enthusiast website ...

You have for example 5 available modules. Let’s say you activate 2 of them and name them Hiking Spots and Gear Stores. For each of these modules you have a set of fields that you can define. Some may be required like the google address. Others can be suited for events such as expiration day and time. And others can simply be form fields to be filled out. You can also set which modules to show as default on the map as well as what the image markers look like for these modules.

When you visit the map, it shows you the markers for the default modules and the user has the option to hide whichever module. They can add a new entry for whichever module based on permissions.

I don’t know how much of a programming pain this would be but I think this modular structure would really expand the functionality of a map mod by leaps and bounds. Although I can see the value behind events, it would be so much more valuable if you can have and modify more than 1 category.

As to the user locations, I personally (just my opinion here) see that as the least valuable. I find trying to get members to disclose even their general location is like pulling teeth.
trickoff

Post by trickoff »

youngjediknight wrote:
BassFace wrote:
youngjediknight wrote:Can you make the fields customizable in the ACP so that it truly does become a module?
I am not sure what you mean... :shock: Could you elaborate a bit?
Actually I’ve been giving this even more thought in terms of a completely modular map mod. Just thinking aloud here ... going back to my example of a hiking enthusiast website ...

You have for example 5 available modules. Let’s say you activate 2 of them and name them Hiking Spots and Gear Stores. For each of these modules you have a set of fields that you can define. Some may be required like the google address. Others can be suited for events such as expiration day and time. And others can simply be form fields to be filled out. You can also set which modules to show as default on the map as well as what the image markers look like for these modules.

When you visit the map, it shows you the markers for the default modules and the user has the option to hide whichever module. They can add a new entry for whichever module based on permissions.

I don’t know how much of a programming pain this would be but I think this modular structure would really expand the functionality of a map mod by leaps and bounds. Although I can see the value behind events, it would be so much more valuable if you can have and modify more than 1 category.

As to the user locations, I personally (just my opinion here) see that as the least valuable. I find trying to get members to disclose even their general location is like pulling teeth.
I'm hoping for the exact same thing! Nice to see that the developement has started again!
youngjediknight

I’m glad I’m not the only one!

BassFace , if you want my help in coming up with a more specific outline of what I described, it would be my pleasure. Just let me know.
BassFace

Post by BassFace »

youngjediknight wrote:I’m glad I’m not the only one!

BassFace , if you want my help in coming up with a more specific outline of what I described, it would be my pleasure. Just let me know.
Thanks for your input! An outline would be very helpful in clarifying what needs to be done. But actually, aside from the user-definable fields, I think all the functionality you described is in the mod already. Customizable event markers (and user markers, too) and the ability to turn display of events on/off by event type are in there already. I think a few more db entries for those fields and their names and what type of field they are, and some more ACP/UCP work and the ability to do the user defined fields could happen, too.

But today, I finally got something working I've wanted forever - Marker Clustering. I know a user who has 588 users mapped (in the phpbb2 version of Phoogle Map MOD, with no pagination in the MOD) and the map is just painted solid with markers. Still needs some work, but the basic clustering is working. Awesome! :ugeek:
davaguco
Name: DAVID AGULLO

Post by davaguco »

Very nice MOD, I will wait for a stable release to install it on my live forum.

My forum is dedicated to a town, and we would love to be able to mark not only users, but also interesting places, shops, railroad stations, etc. I was wondering if this MOD would be able to do this when completed.

Thanks for your work.
David.
English-Spanish Mod Translator. Send me a PM if you need anything translated (usually free unless you need a fixed finishing date).
ameisez

Post by ameisez »

Can someone subscribe to the map so that he will be notified if changes are made?
PHPBB on HOSTGATOR SERVER. MY PERSONAL CHOICE ;)
Need phpBB images and buttons? HIRE ME
my MOD: BB3 Media Player | a phpbb based media player
BassFace

Post by BassFace »

davaguco wrote:Very nice MOD, I will wait for a stable release to install it on my live forum.

My forum is dedicated to a town, and we would love to be able to mark not only users, but also interesting places, shops, railroad stations, etc. I was wondering if this MOD would be able to do this when completed.

Thanks for your work.
Yes, you will be able to do that.
ameisez wrote:Can someone subscribe to the map so that he will be notified if changes are made?
You mean your forum users - like how you can subscribe to a forum/thread in phpbb3? No, but that is an interesting idea - I'll look into it.
ameisez

Post by ameisez »

BassFace wrote:
ameisez wrote:Can someone subscribe to the map so that he will be notified if changes are made?
You mean your forum users - like how you can subscribe to a forum/thread in phpbb3? No, but that is an interesting idea - I'll look into it.
Exactly :D
Thanks for considering it :)
youngjediknight

BassFace wrote:
youngjediknight wrote:I’m glad I’m not the only one!

Thanks for your input! An outline would be very helpful in clarifying what needs to be done. But actually, aside from the user-definable fields, I think all the functionality you described is in the mod already. Customizable event markers (and user markers, too) and the ability to turn display of events on/off by event type are in there already. I think a few more db entries for those fields and their names and what type of field they are, and some more ACP/UCP work and the ability to do the user defined fields could happen, too.

But today, I finally got something working I've wanted forever - Marker Clustering. I know a user who has 588 users mapped (in the phpbb2 version of Phoogle Map MOD, with no pagination in the MOD) and the map is just painted solid with markers. Still needs some work, but the basic clustering is working. Awesome! :ugeek:
Ooohhh marker clustering. I never even thought of that. Good call!

Ok let me work on an elaboration of what I was thinking – which seems like there’s at least one other person that’s thinking along the same lines. Then I’ll leave it up to you as to whether you think it’s worth implementing.

Thanks for listening to us.
Hippie459MN

Post by Hippie459MN »

BassFace wrote:
darkonia wrote:can i update from the latest phoogle version of your mod to this when its ready?
No, you will need to install from scratch. But since all the files, folders, db tables and fields, etc. have been renamed you should be able to install right alongside Phoogle, then I'll have to look at a way to update the user data from Phoogle to Shmoogle. Then you can delete Phoogle completely.
I cant wait for this. Glad to see its going to continue getting developed. :D

I am using Phoogle right now and would be great if I could move to this one when it comes out with having to have all my members re-enter all there info again. ;)
BassFace

Post by BassFace »

Hippie459MN wrote:I am using Phoogle right now and would be great if I could move to this one when it comes out with having to have all my members re-enter all there info again. ;)
I do plan on creating a script that will transfer old Phoogle data to the new tables and/or db columns. I need to get the new db structure finalized first, tho. 8-)

I'm curious as to what you and your users think of the Phoogle map: Do they like/dislike it? Did they express any reservations about putting a marker on the map? Did they ask you 'can the map do this or that'?

I loves the feedback! :D
Hippie459MN

Post by Hippie459MN »

BassFace wrote:I do plan on creating a script that will transfer old Phoogle data to the new tables and/or db columns. I need to get the new db structure finalized first, tho. 8-)

I'm curious as to what you and your users think of the Phoogle map: Do they like/dislike it? Did they express any reservations about putting a marker on the map? Did they ask you 'can the map do this or that'?

I loves the feedback! :D
My members love it. I did change the set your location text to read "Enter a valid city and state and click 'Find it!'" as we are not looking for specific addresses, Just city and state. We use it to find other members around us and also help in finding a central location for events that works best so as many members can make it to the events as possible. The site is a power boating web site.

http://www.hydrostreamforums.com

As for specific address for you residence, I am not a fan but maybe for an event location tag, Yes, it would work perfect. :D

Click image to enlarge.
BassFace

Shmoogle Maps Demo

Post by BassFace »

I have just posted a link to my Shmoogle Demo board in the first post of this thread. The link and instructions on how to login are just above the screenshots.

I have disabled new users and posting on the Demo board for now, but please take a look and post back here with your comments or questions.

Please keep in mind this MOD is still in development, so not everything is gonna work! :lol: :geek:
ameisez

Post by ameisez »

looking great :)

If I may... i observed that when I click location, a line is being created, maybe it is good to have "clear lines" button to clear all created lines
BassFace

Post by BassFace »

ameisez wrote:looking great :)

If I may... i observed that when I click location, a line is being created, maybe it is good to have "clear lines" button to clear all created lines
Yes, those lines (called geodesic polylines in the API) are becoming an issue. Sometimes they clear when another marker or sidebar name is clicked and sometimes they don't - it has been very inconsistent though. I may just have to remove them completely if I can't figure out how to reliably remove one when another line gets drawn.

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”