[ABD] Shmoogle Maps MOD

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
BassFace

Re: [ALPHA] Shmoogle Maps MOD

Post by BassFace »

darkonia wrote:ok i see, shmoogle map is a lot better than your phoogle maps mod, but on a very big forum with 1500+ members who are made there entrys in phoogle, how can i import this entrys in shmoogle when i install it?

i cant say to all the people to made their entrys again, so i ask.
pls make an option for your phoogle mod fans, that we can import the entrys to the new map.
like an acp function or something else???

thx
BassFace wrote:
faqbch99 wrote:Please please please provide an upgrade path from the current phoogle version. I would hate to go back and have to ask all my already phoogle mapped users to re-map themselfs.

Thanks.
I think it'll happen. It's just database stuff. :geek: All the file and folder names are different, so in theory you should be able to run Phoogle and Shmoogle at the same time, lol!
I am thinking all that will be necessary is to create a 'import_phoogle_users.php' script that reads the phoogle db tables and writes the info into the new Shmoogle tables, plus adding default values for new fields where needed.
nasadows

Post by nasadows »

This is truly a great mod, too bad its just Alpha, please finalise it soon :D
Hippie459MN

Post by Hippie459MN »

nasadows wrote:This is truly a great mod, too bad its just Alpha, please finalise it soon :D
What he said. :D :mrgreen:
youngjediknight

Post by youngjediknight »

Sorry for taking so long on the outline, BassFace. I see you’re making great progress on this mod. For what it’s worth, here is what I was thinking since a few other users seem to be looking for the same functionality. Again, I’m going to use as an example a Hiking Enthusiast website (no I don’t run one – in fact, I hate walking haha – it just seems like a good example).

Categories
These would be fully definable.
  • Admin can define and activate up to X number of categories such as Member Locations, Hiking Spots, Hiking Gear, Other Spots.
  • Each category can be marked as to what shows up on default when a user looks at the map.
  • Each category can be assigned a particular icon from a list of pre-made icons or icons which the admin creates.
  • Users can click each category on and off to clear up or populate the map.
Element Fields
For each category, the admin can choose various fields and the titles of various fields. The number and types of fields should be flexible enough to meet most needs but not be too many as to overcomplicate things. When a user clicks to add a new element under a specific category (e.g., adds a Hiking Spot to that category), he will be presented with a form to fill out with these fields. The admin should be able to choose which fields are required and which are optional. Here are some examples of the fields.

These are fields that might be specific to certain types of categories and should only appear once.
  • Title – for Hiking Spots, it would be the spot name; for Hiking Gear, it would be the store name. These would be user entered fields. However, if the category is Member Location, there should be a mechanism to have it populate the name automatically.
  • Google Maps Directions – of course you need this field for anything on the map but it should allow Cartesian coordinates as well as normal addresses. which, once clicked will open up Google maps for directions. This field can be activated for events, locations, and many other categories.
  • Event Date – for events categories, this field can be activated to present dropdown month, day, year, and time for both start time and end time. The element would get pruned after this date.
  • Cost / Fee – for whatever reason maybe an element requires members pay something to participate. Let’s say it’s hiking fund raiser at a club and there’s a cover charge. Here you can enter the dollar amount and maybe have a link to a foreign exchange site (like http://www.oanda.com).
The following fields are extremely flexible fields. Admin should be able to create a number of the same types of these fields to meet his needs.
  • Customizable Radial Fields - going back to a Hiking Spot category field for example, the admin might name one of these types of fields, “Degree of Difficulty.” Then you can choose up to X number of radial buttons. Let’s say he chooses 3 and assigns each one “Easy, Medium, and Difficult.” Now when a user adds an element to Hiking Spot category, he will be presented with 3 options to say how hard the hiking spot is.
  • Customizable Drop-Down Boxes – same concept here as the radial buttons but now with dropdown boxes for fields that might have an extensive list of pre-defined options.
  • General Field Boxes – These are just general boxes that users can fill out with whatever. Let’s say for a Hiking Spot category, you want the user to provide information on “Parking” then that user can type in “Park at the south side of the big tree” or something like that. Admin can limit the number of characters and the box should resize accordingly (or admin can control that too).
Map View
When a user clicks on Shmoogle, here some considerations ...
  • Map View Type – admin can select default map view whether it’s street, satellite, etc.
  • Map View Level – admin can select default level to focus on. This might get tricky because admin would have to indicate where the map is centered. The point of this is, let’s say the hiking site is focused on hiking in Holland and all the members are from Holland. If the map defaults to a world view, the user will always have to zoom in to see Holland.
Ok this is all I’ve got for now. I hope this is helpful. Of course, I wrote this intended just as a guide for you and nothing more than that. This is your mod, not mine. :D

[edit]

Oh forgot to speak to linkages.
  • Forum Linkage – aside from member locations, each category should have an option to create a forum post automatically in a forum ID# specified by admin. The content of that post should have the same content that’s in that element and of course a link to the map.
  • Calendar Linkage – would be very cool to have some linkage with the calendar mod that other people have been saying. So this would just be for elements that make use of the Date field.
BassFace

Post by BassFace »

Thank you for your input - very well thought out and well presented! I thought I would address each point here, so you (and everyone else) can see what can/cannot/is done. My comments are in red. I will use the term Event, just to differentiate from User.
youngjediknight wrote:Sorry for taking so long on the outline, BassFace. I see you’re making great progress on this mod. For what it’s worth, here is what I was thinking since a few other users seem to be looking for the same functionality. Again, I’m going to use as an example a Hiking Enthusiast website (no I don’t run one – in fact, I hate walking haha – it just seems like a good example).

Categories
These would be fully definable.
Done. Admin can create unlimited number of Event Categories, each with it's own map icon and name.
  • Admin can define and activate up to X number of categories such as Member Locations, Hiking Spots, Hiking Gear, Other Spots.
    Done. Although User points are handled completely separately from Event points.
  • Each category can be marked as to what shows up on default when a user looks at the map.
    Interesting idea! Right now all Event categories show, but can then be toggled On/Off independently.
  • Each category can be assigned a particular icon from a list of pre-made icons or icons which the admin creates.
    Done
  • Users can click each category on and off to clear up or populate the map.
    Done. Now only active on Event map. A list of Event types replaces the user list on Events map, where each type can be toggled.
Element Fields
For each category, the admin can choose various fields and the titles of various fields. The number and types of fields should be flexible enough to meet most needs but not be too many as to overcomplicate things. When a user clicks to add a new element under a specific category (e.g., adds a Hiking Spot to that category), he will be presented with a form to fill out with these fields. The admin should be able to choose which fields are required and which are optional. Here are some examples of the fields.
Brilliant! I think this would be hard to code, but I love a challenge!Would require a new db table that links each Element Field to it's Event Category

These are fields that might be specific to certain types of categories and should only appear once.
  • Title – for Hiking Spots, it would be the spot name; for Hiking Gear, it would be the store name. These would be user entered fields. However, if the category is Member Location, there should be a mechanism to have it populate the name automatically.
    Done. Well, for Users, it is automatically the username. For Events, Event title (not Category title) can be set.
  • Google Maps Directions – of course you need this field for anything on the map but it should allow Cartesian coordinates as well as normal addresses. which, once clicked will open up Google maps for directions. This field can be activated for events, locations, and many other categories.
    Done. Built in to the MOD (using an existing API extension) is a 'Context Menu'. By right clicking anywhere on the map, a menu appears where the user can get directions to/from where they clicked. Then step by step directions are plotted along the driving route.
  • Event Date – for events categories, this field can be activated to present dropdown month, day, year, and time for both start time and end time. The element would get pruned after this date.
    To Do.Indeed, I want to get something like this working.
  • Cost / Fee – for whatever reason maybe an element requires members pay something to participate. Let’s say it’s hiking fund raiser at a club and there’s a cover charge. Here you can enter the dollar amount and maybe have a link to a foreign exchange site (like http://www.oanda.com).
The following fields are extremely flexible fields. Admin should be able to create a number of the same types of these fields to meet his needs.
  • Customizable Radial Fields - going back to a Hiking Spot category field for example, the admin might name one of these types of fields, “Degree of Difficulty.” Then you can choose up to X number of radial buttons. Let’s say he chooses 3 and assigns each one “Easy, Medium, and Difficult.” Now when a user adds an element to Hiking Spot category, he will be presented with 3 options to say how hard the hiking spot is.
  • Customizable Drop-Down Boxes – same concept here as the radial buttons but now with dropdown boxes for fields that might have an extensive list of pre-defined options.
  • General Field Boxes – These are just general boxes that users can fill out with whatever. Let’s say for a Hiking Spot category, you want the user to provide information on “Parking” then that user can type in “Park at the south side of the big tree” or something like that. Admin can limit the number of characters and the box should resize accordingly (or admin can control that too).

Again, would be difficult to code, at least for me. But I love the idea! I'll have to ponder that.

Map View
When a user clicks on Shmoogle, here some considerations ...
  • Map View Type – admin can select default map view whether it’s street, satellite, etc.
    Done. Admin can set initial map type, and I now have it so when a viewer goes from, for example, the User Map to the Event map, the current Map Type, zoom level, and map center are sent to the next map for more consistent viewing. (Thanks to muggins for suggesting that!)
  • Map View Level – admin can select default level to focus on. This might get tricky because admin would have to indicate where the map is centered. The point of this is, let’s say the hiking site is focused on hiking in Holland and all the members are from Holland. If the map defaults to a world view, the user will always have to zoom in to see Holland.
Done. Initial map zoom, center, map type (and many more settings) can all be set in ACP.

Ok this is all I’ve got for now. I hope this is helpful. Of course, I wrote this intended just as a guide for you and nothing more than that. This is your mod, not mine. :D

[edit]

Oh forgot to speak to linkages.
  • Forum Linkage – aside from member locations, each category should have an option to create a forum post automatically in a forum ID# specified by admin. The content of that post should have the same content that’s in that element and of course a link to the map.
    I like the automatic nature of this! I'll look into this one for sure.
  • Calendar Linkage – would be very cool to have some linkage with the calendar mod that other people have been saying. So this would just be for elements that make use of the Date field.
    Yes the alightner calendar mod has been mentioned a few times. Any integration to a calendar mod would be an add-on and not part of the basic Shmoogle MOD. This may happen, but later.
Again, thank you for your input. I really appreciate you taking your time to help make this a better MOD. 8-)
youngjediknight

No BassFace, thank you for being so receptive to others’ comments. If every mod author were as receptive as you ... well, my fingers would be very tired haha. :D

Regarding the custom fields. I don’t think it has to be as complicated as I might have presented it. Basically, you could have, say, three of each already baked into the mod. Three radial fields, three dropdown fields, and three form boxes. For the radial fields you would have, say, five choices already baked into it. For the dropdown box, perhaps that can be unlimited since it is just a matter of storing the array of elements input by the admin. Same with the form boxes – you can even just have the admin define the length and columns to make it easier. So the maximum amount of fields is already baked into the mod. But for each field, there is an additional db entry that indicates whether the field is “acitvated” meaning it will show up when a user makes a new entry or when a user views an entry.

For me, personally, the *least* important of the functionalities I mentioned is the Cost / Price field and the linkage to the calendar.

Thanks again for listening to us.

[edit]

Oh, would there be a way to “de-activate” the member locations? Ironically, although this was the core purpose of the mod, for me, this would be the one function I would not use haha.
BassFace

Post by BassFace »

youngjediknight wrote:Oh, would there be a way to “de-activate” the member locations? Ironically, although this was the core purpose of the mod, for me, this would be the one function I would not use haha.
hmmm, never thought to do that before, lol. Well, as a start, you could not install the UCP Module (just install the UCP 'Add an Event' Module). Then make some modifications to the Shmoogle Map template so the user sidebar doesn't show up and the event sidebar is made taller. Then change the links (like in the header) so it goes directly to the mode="events" map instead of the mode="everyone" map. In other words, it's not impossible, but it would take some tweaking. :ugeek:
BassFace

Get Directions Improved

Post by BassFace »

Modified the right-click Get Directions feature so it outputs the turn-by-turn textual directions below the map. Better for printing. :)
youngjediknight

Oh man that is lookin funky fila fresh.
muggins
Name: Donovan

Post by muggins »

Bass, how do we get the driving directions? The demo map doesn't seem to have it, or I'm stupid...

Very cool schtuff!!! :D
Muggins
BassFace

Post by BassFace »

muggins wrote:Bass, how do we get the driving directions? The demo map doesn't seem to have it, or I'm stupid...

Very cool schtuff!!! :D
Right-click on the map or on a marker. Turn-by-turn textual thingy is not in the Demo yet, tho. :shock:
muggins
Name: Donovan

Post by muggins »

Ah. That makes all the difference. :mrgreen:
Muggins
BassFace

Post by BassFace »

muggins wrote:Ah. That makes all the difference. :mrgreen:
D'OH! I guess there should be some text somewhere that tells people that's an option, huh - lol. :lol:
Jackanape
Name: Jack Drury

Post by Jackanape »

I'll be there when you fire off the first release! I like the phoogle map well enough, but it sounds like you're going even further with this one! Well done!
~Extending the rule of meticulous exactitude to exaspirating punctillio...still.~
Treat your phpBB like a member of the family--Update and MOD her by hand, with HTML-Kit
: : Wanna Talk Poker? : : Image : :
ameisez

Post by ameisez »

that screen looks very nice. ;)
PHPBB on HOSTGATOR SERVER. MY PERSONAL CHOICE ;)
Need phpBB images and buttons? HIRE ME
my MOD: BB3 Media Player | a phpbb based media player

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”