[ABD]AlternateLogin(Windows Live,Facebook,OpenID)

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
ALIENQuake

Re: [BETA]AlternateLogin(Windows Live,Facebook,OpenID)

Post by ALIENQuake »

3. What is the password for phpbb3 created user ? Does people must always click at "Connect with Facebook" or they can use normal login method:

Username: Username that they provided due facebook registration
Password: facebook password ?

Information

You have been successfully logged in!

Return to the index page
but I'm not redirected to the forums, user must click "Return to the index page" link. Minor thing but can this be fixed also ?

5. About "Location": can it be taken from FB Profile Detail or not be required at all ?
mjimeyg

Post by mjimeyg »

ALIENQuake wrote:3. What is the password for phpbb3 created user ? Does people must always click at "Connect with Facebook" or they can use normal login method:

Username: Username that they provided due facebook registration
Password: facebook password ?
I can't remember why (but I am sure I had a good reason :oops: ) but I made the password a composite of the users providers uid plus the provider's secret.

Your question made me go back and look at it to see where the password is required. I think it is simply a necessary field in registration, beyond that it isn't needed. I will investigate this but I think the password could be changed and it would just be a matter of letting them pick a password.

I'm just not sure if this would make the whole alternate login idea redundant if a user needs to create a secondary password. If something goes wrong they can still request a new password and log in that way.
Questions answered via forums only, no pms or emails. Thank you.

ConSof Alternate Login for phpBB

Image Image
ALIENQuake

Post by ALIENQuake »

mjimeyg wrote: I will investigate this but I think the password could be changed and it would just be a matter of letting them pick a password.

I'm just not sure if this would make the whole alternate login idea redundant if a user needs to create a secondary password. If something goes wrong they can still request a new password and log in that way.
I get some feedback from users and some of them report that "my FB password don't work when i try to login using my "username form FB registration precess" and FB password. People sometimes think that "Connect via Facebook" means "Registration will use my Facebook detail and i will log into forum using normal login method, providing my chosen username and ?password?"

I would also consider a forced "Choose you password" for security reason. I would also add some info like "Don't use you Facebook password" into registration form.

I don't know how much work it would require and there is no rush, but you are so close to provide very nice and working mod.
bobz1993

Post by bobz1993 »

I reinstalled phpbb using the same files from the previous installation, did not link the main admin account, instead having the facebook account seperate and it's working fine for me now. Linking the main admin account rather than registering a new one didn't prompt me after with a facebook popup saying you are registered using the fb app.

And going along with ALIENQuake, could an option for auto-login be added for boards w/o email verification? My ISP doesn't allow outgoing mail, so emails are disabled throughout the board.

Another suggestion to integrate especially for people in my situation is whether email support could be added through the app using apps+oc1cvcef@facebookmail.com or something related as the sender, though I haven't received an email like that in a very long time. May have been removed?

Either way, thanks for your efforts and I will be keeping updated with this.

In attempt to clear up confusion with the connect button, I edited the image a bit and left a note above.
Only use the box above if you have registered an account previously without a Facebook account. Otherwise Click the button below.

Feel free to use it in your forum, just add the line in domain.tld/phpbb3/styles/prosilver/template/index_body.html and login_body.html in the appropriate place.
Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx »

Hello, testing on your site again. seems to work out nicely still. I wanted to ask... can you guide me on what steps I can do to skip the agreement page of my phpbb3 board.. I want to eliminate that step for the registration via FB to be quicker.

Small styling request: is it possible to start the FB connect/registration processes using small pop-pop style window, instead of the full page deal? Just like with windows live :)
mjimeyg

Post by mjimeyg »

Peter77sx wrote:Hello, testing on your site again. seems to work out nicely still. I wanted to ask... can you guide me on what steps I can do to skip the agreement page of my phpbb3 board.. I want to eliminate that step for the registration via FB to be quicker.

Small styling request: is it possible to start the FB connect/registration processes using small pop-pop style window, instead of the full page deal? Just like with windows live :)
In answer to the first part:

phpBB requires specific details to allow you to post and access certain areas. These include a username and email address.

Although, your question has made me think about trying to implement a system that would bypass that need. I'll look into it and see if it can be done without rewriting the entire board code! :P

It would have to be a separate mode as some board admins wouldn't like the idea of people posting without needing to have an account that is email verified, admin approved or obeys the COPPA. But I like the idea.

As for the second bit of your query, the pop-up for windows is only for authenticating, if you are affiliated with Microsoft you get a full page. Unfortunately it would mean a lot of coding to deal with a pop-up and could cause clashes with pop-up blockers.

Image Image
Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx »

mjimeyg wrote:
Peter77sx wrote:Hello, testing on your site again. seems to work out nicely still. I wanted to ask... can you guide me on what steps I can do to skip the agreement page of my phpbb3 board.. I want to eliminate that step for the registration via FB to be quicker.

In answer to the first part:

phpBB requires specific details to allow you to post and access certain areas. These include a username and email address.

Although, your question has made me think about trying to implement a system that would bypass that need. I'll look into it and see if it can be done without rewriting the entire board code! :P

It would have to be a separate mode as some board admins wouldn't like the idea of people posting without needing to have an account that is email verified, admin approved or obeys the COPPA. But I like the idea.
You've must of read my original question/s.. my apologise about the quick edits if that's the case. Browsing around the web, I ran into a site that let me register using FB connect... the processes seemed fast probably because I did not need to register onto their VB forum ( skipped an agreement page ). And it had used my FB_name as username automatically... not having to enter a new forum name. I'll be glad to know if that feature can be possible sometime later with your MOD.

As for the pop-up, I understand now. I suppose that it's fine the way it is. thanks and keep up the good work!
muiketi

Post by muiketi »

suggestion:

is it possible to add google login for this mod..
mjimeyg

Post by mjimeyg »

muiketi wrote:suggestion:

is it possible to add google login for this mod..
It is on my to-do list after Twitter.

Most of these providers use the same methods, so hopefully existing code can be re-tooled making the whole thing easier.

Image Image
matteovice

Post by matteovice »

Nice mod, thanks.

As not everybody of my members is interested in Facebook, I would like to change the decision authority for "facebook activity", "facebook facepile" and "facebook stream" from the ACP to the UCP, so the users themselves can decide whether or not they want to see the information. With the option of the default setting to "no"
How can I do that?

Matthias
mjimeyg

Post by mjimeyg »

matteovice wrote:Nice mod, thanks.

As not everybody of my members is interested in Facebook, I would like to change the decision authority for "facebook activity", "facebook facepile" and "facebook stream" from the ACP to the UCP, so the users themselves can decide whether or not they want to see the information. With the option of the default setting to "no"
How can I do that?

Matthias
That would take a fair bit of changes. You would need to add fields to the users table, not to mention handlers in the UCP to edit those fields.

Then you would need to change the decision making for actually displaying the pluggins.

Image Image
matteovice

Post by matteovice »

I got that.
But calculating that only 30% of all users (not only in my forum) are FB users it would be better to have it. Those users working with FB like it but alle the others (the majority) are complaining about it.

Matthias
Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx »

hey matteovice check this out http://www.rmcgirr83.org/viewtopic.php?p=308#p308

Then maybe create a group for FB connect users who want to opt-in to see the face piles and and other FB apps..
matteovice

Post by matteovice »

So following the idea of "peter77sx" why it isn`t then possible to create a snippet with an "If-clause" that says: only if the user selects under his profile (consof) "connect me with facebook"
all of the three: "facebook activity", "facebook facepile" and "facebook stream" will be visible. In the other case not.
I think that must be the easiest way.
DocSommer

Post by DocSommer »

I#m currently testing this mod and it looks good - except one thing:

how can I edit the avatar-rezising behaviour? My worum allows avatars with 200x200px but if I sync an avatar it gets rezized way smaller and it doesn't even maintain the aspect ratio.

Edit:

I think I found the part of the code in ucp_profile.php:

'user_avatar_type' => AVATAR_REMOTE,
'user_avatar_width' => 100,
'user_avatar_height' => 100,

Removing the width/height lines breaks the function so it seems that this might be a bit tricky but I think it's important to provide a solution that does at least maintain the aspect ratio of the original FB profile pic.

Another Edit (lol):

I've noticed that the like button doesn't work on my test installation and the demo board - I can see it but nothing happen if I hit it :!:

My test forum is on a public mirror in case anyone would like to check it out and mess around a bit:

http://mercifulstrangers.com/phpBB3/index.php

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”