[DEV] Forum Runner - Android/iPhone/iPad Client for phpBB3!

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
ClemsonJeeper

[DEV] Forum Runner - Android/iPhone/iPad Client for phpBB3!

Post by ClemsonJeeper »

Introducing Forum Runner for the Android/iPhone/iPad and phpBB!

Forum Runner now supports ANDROID!!!

http://www.forumrunner.net

What is Forum Runner?

Forum Runner is a phpBB mod that allows your users to browse your forum using a native Android/iPhone/iPad client. This means faster access for those users since it only downloads the actual forum information rather than all the extraneous images that slow down the mobile connection.

Forum Runner now supports the iPad natively! Download the Forum Runner app once and support both iPhone and iPad versions in one universal app!

Forum Runner is FREE for forum owners to install, and takes less than 5 minutes. Please see the list below for full information on Forum Runner's features. There is a free client app in the App Store that supports all features except posting, and the full version is cheaper than any current competitor.

Forum Runner inherits all the security built into phpBB, so users running Forum Runner will only be able to see the same forums and threads as they could using a regular browser. None of your user's personal data (login credentials, etc) are transmitted to Forum Runner's server.

Forum Runner Feature List
  • Native iPad support!
  • Browse your favorite forums in an easy-to-use-interface with multiple notification types (private message, subscription, etc)
  • Fully customizable home screen with your favorite forums
  • PUSH NOTIFICATION SUPPORT : Get private message and subscribed thread updates from your favorite forums in the background! Choose what time you want to receive push notifications, and what type of notifications you want.
  • Poll updates (private messages/subscriptions) from favorites on home screen - shows you a summary of which forums you have new messages or subscriptions on!
  • Graphical display of polls - view results and vote on polls
  • Moderation tools for your moderators/admins (close/open thread, stick/unstick thread, move thread, delete posts, etc)
  • Image attachment thumbnail and full size viewing from threads
  • View a thread's image attachments in one convenient screen (much like the native iPhone "Photo" app)
  • Save thread images to your iPhone/iPod touch library
  • Fully search-able forums!
  • View embedded links without leaving the app, including YouTube videos
  • Supports portrait AND landscape mode
  • Full posting options (quote posts, start new thread, etc)
  • Attach unlimited photos from your library (or take a photo from the camera and attach it)
  • Full support for private messages and private message folders
  • Full support for thread subscriptions - track your favorite threads and be updated via push when they have new posts!
  • Google AdSense integration - mobile google ads show up in your user's app!
Forum Runner currently supports vBulletin 3.6.x, 3.7.x, 3.8.x and 4.0.x and phpBB v3.0.x. We are adding support for other mobile phones as well as forum software.

There is a Free version available in the App Store as well which allows your users to try out Forum Runner before making a decision to buy it. It has all the features of the full version except that it does not have the ability to post threads and a few other differences which are outlined on http://www.forumrunner.net.

Some screen shots of Forum Runner running on the iPhone:

Home Screen with customizable icons and notifications:

Push notification updates while outside the app:

ImageImage

Image attachment browser from a thread:

ImageImage

Fully searchable forums:

ImageImage

Full forum browsing:

ImageImage

How do I get the Forum Runner phpBB Add-On?

The recommended method is to download the add-on when you register your forum at http://www.forumrunner.net/?p=manager - it will contain the necessary sitekey to enable push notification.

However, you can download the latest version from the attachments below. We supply a AutoMOD/MODX version of the modification to be used by those forum owners who have this infrastructure installed. We also supply a manual install version that can be used by forum owners who do not use AutoMOD/MODX.

Please note that if you download the add-on from here, you will still need to download the unique sitekey.php file from http://www.forumrunner.net/?p=manager after you register your forum with our directory.

To register your forum, simply head over to http://www.forumrunner.net/?p=register. Full instructions to register your forum in the Forum Runner database are there. Once you register your forum, you can download the sitekey there. Simply place this file in the "forumrunner" directory that is created when you installed the add-on.

Also, there is a support forum located at: http://www.forumrunner.net/support Please post up your ideas or any issues you have with the App there.

How can I get the Forum Runner iPhone Client?

Either search "Forum Runner" in the App Store on your iPhone, or click one of the links below:

Get Forum Runner Full Version from App Store

Get Forum Runner Free Version from App Store

How can I get the Forum Runner Android Client?

Either search "Forum Runner" in the Google Market on your Android device.

Enough yapping, give me the modification already!

AutoMOD/MODX Install:

http://www.forumrunner.net/download/for ... -1.3.2.zip

Manual Install:

http://www.forumrunner.net/download/for ... -1.3.2.zip
Last edited by ClemsonJeeper on Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:28 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Forum Runner developer: phpBB on your mobile device!
ClemsonJeeper

Re: [DEV] Forum Runner - iPhone Native Client for phpBB3!

Post by ClemsonJeeper »

Please report any and all bugs (I expect there to be a few in the first versions!).

Also, please let me know if the AutoMOD/MODX packaging was done properly. It looks like it works fine on my test forums, but "the real world" is always different. ;-)
callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Post by callumacrae »

:O

MOAR competition!

Looks good :)

~Callum
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of
ClemsonJeeper

Post by ClemsonJeeper »

Callum95 wrote::O

MOAR competition!

Looks good :)

~Callum
Hey I like your theme as well. Just went to it on my iPhone. :-)

I decided to go a different route... ;-)

Cheers! Have a great vacation weekend!
Nawid

Post by Nawid »

I have heard of this, nice feature :)
Check SuperNova Orange style on:
SchoolLife.nl
phpBB.com
ClemsonJeeper

Post by ClemsonJeeper »

Oh, I forgot to mention, while we are in DEV/BETA status, if you install it on your forum, and need a coupon code for a free download of the full version for yourself, shoot me a PM here or on our support forums!

Be sure to post up in this thread if you installed it and its working!
Danielx64
Name: Daniel

Post by Danielx64 »

Hey, very nice mod here. I'm going to install it on a local server first before uploading. I got a question, my forum is on a server that is not accessable by the general public. Will I still be able to get the free coupon code for testing the full app? I'm trying out different options, and still deciding what option would best suit me and end users.

Daniel
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.
ClemsonJeeper

Post by ClemsonJeeper »

*Daniel wrote:Hey, very nice mod here. I'm going to install it on a local server first before uploading. I got a question, my forum is on a server that is not accessable by the general public. Will I still be able to get the free coupon code for testing the full app? I'm trying out different options, and still deciding what option would best suit me and end users.

Daniel
Sure! We support private listing too, so your forum won't be listed in the public directory - your users will need to search for it in the forum browser. Once they do that, they can add it as a favorite and just go directly into the forum.

I definitely want feedback on how the install goes, because I'm new to this whole AutoMOD/MODX shenanigans. :-)
Danielx64
Name: Daniel

Post by Danielx64 »

ClemsonJeeper wrote:
*Daniel wrote:Hey, very nice mod here. I'm going to install it on a local server first before uploading. I got a question, my forum is on a server that is not accessable by the general public. Will I still be able to get the free coupon code for testing the full app? I'm trying out different options, and still deciding what option would best suit me and end users.

Daniel
Sure! We support private listing too, so your forum won't be listed in the public directory - your users will need to search for it in the forum browser. Once they do that, they can add it as a favorite and just go directly into the forum.

I definitely want feedback on how the install goes, because I'm new to this whole AutoMOD/MODX shenanigans. :-)
Ok, I'm ready to take this for a spin on my dev board.

I singed up on your site, what do I need to do to make it a private listing?

Daniel
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.
ClemsonJeeper

Post by ClemsonJeeper »

*Daniel wrote:
ClemsonJeeper wrote:

Daniel

Ok, I'm ready to take this for a spin on my dev board.

I singed up on your site, what do I need to do to make it a private listing?

Daniel
Did you sign up on http://www.forumrunner.net/?p=register

? You don't need to sign up for the support forum, you need to sign up for the Forum Manager and then the steps to register your forum should be obvious. :) If not shoot me a PM and I'll guide you through it!

Rob
ClemsonJeeper

Post by ClemsonJeeper »

Looks like we've had a few sign up and they seem to be working great! Thanks for installing!
Mess
Name: Kim

Post by Mess »

Looks interesting. I'm using Tapatalk atm, ill try this out though.
ClemsonJeeper

Post by ClemsonJeeper »

Mess wrote:Looks interesting. I'm using Tapatalk atm, ill try this out though.
Will work with Tapatalk installed as well!

Choice is a good thing. :-)
ClemsonJeeper

Post by ClemsonJeeper »

Version 1.0.1 released. Fixes an issue with certain threads not being parsed correctly or in some cases crashing the app.
ClemsonJeeper

Post by ClemsonJeeper »

Version 1.0.2 released which fixes a few issues with forums showing up to users whom they shouldn't (the posts never showed up, just the forum listing).

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”