[ABD] Disable links for new users & guests

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Philthy

Re: [RC] Disable links for new users & guests

Post by Philthy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:47 am

heredia21 wrote:Are you all going to package it up? I think it will be a lot easier.
My original little mod stands on it's own, and could still be classed as a release candidate.
The excellent additions/redesigning work done by Dangerousprototypes, could in my opinion, stand as a mod in it's own right.
Rather than have two mod packages in the same thread, why don't we start a new mod thread for the new additions? I will happily package it up. I would like to see DP get the credit for this mod, as it has been all his work.
Go on ! it's not as steep as it looks.....

dangerousprototypes

Post by dangerousprototypes » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:47 am

Thanks John, lots of great info there. The registration justification is interesting. I also used anti-spam fields, but usually "are you a spammer" thinking the scripts wouldn't fill it and get bounced (the stupidest ones anyways). I have never looked to see what they were filling it with, that is very interesting.

One problem we're having now (without any registration protections) is stupid bots that think they have a spammy signature (they don't recognize the error, just fire off a form) and still post garbage. No links get through, so that's a big plus, and they are obvious and easily deleted.

If I could figure out how to disable the profile options or profile submit button, I would create a feature to auto-delete any account that couldn't submit the form but did anyways (script behavior).

It sounds like captchas and questions were more effective for you. At one point we ran recaptcha, asked 3 registration questions that required looking up a value on an electronic schematic (pulled from a 100 question set), and Bad Behavior installed, and it didn't make a dent :)
The excellent additions/redesigning work done by Dangerousprototypes, could in my opinion, stand as a mod in it's own right.
Rather than have two mod packages in the same thread, why don't we start a new mod thread for the new additions? I will happily package it up. I would like to see DP get the credit for this mod, as it has been all his work.
I'm just happy to contribute, no credit needed. If you want me out of your hair though I can start a new thread :) I probably won't package it myself though.
Please do not PM or mail with questions. Ask in the forum where everyone can share the answer.

Philthy

Post by Philthy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:47 am

I've packaged it all up:
http://www.skidvd.co.uk/files/disable_l ... _0.0.1.zip

Cross posted :D
I've packaged it up as you can see.
It's not a problem getting you out of my hair, I haven't got any :lol:
My little mod, can act a as a basic function for forum owners, let's leave it at that, ands see where it goes. Your mod is so much more powerful, and enables a much better level of spam filtering than mine. Why not start the mod in DEV thread, and let the two run parallel?
I have your mod installed, and look forward to contributing to it if possible.

dangerousprototypes

Post by dangerousprototypes » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:30 am

Thank you so much for the package. I started a new thread here:
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... #p12958498

There are several extra ACP options I'd like to add, but it is annoying to edit the files manually. I'll clear out my mod, add the updates directly to the package instead of editing the files individually, and then test that way.
Please do not PM or mail with questions. Ask in the forum where everyone can share the answer.

heredia21

Post by heredia21 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:21 pm

I installed this made a test account with 0 post set the post url limit to atleast one post and the test account was still able to post links.
Best BlackBerry website for all users! BlackBerry News - http://blackberryempire.com

Philthy

Post by Philthy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:30 pm

heredia21 wrote:I installed this made a test account with 0 post set the post url limit to atleast one post and the test account was still able to post links.
Was it an external link?

dangerousprototypes

Post by dangerousprototypes » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:31 pm

Hi heredia21,

Which 'version' of the mod, and how was it installed (auto or manual)?

heredia21

Post by heredia21 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:33 pm

I tested out for instance www.ebay.com and it let me post it with a test account. Ive posted several times with that test account before but always delete every post so its at 0. Does that have anything to do with it?
Best BlackBerry website for all users! BlackBerry News - http://blackberryempire.com

heredia21

Post by heredia21 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:35 pm

i install the .3 i believe? From the first post. Then i went to your page and followed the instructions and quickreply links worked as well. When i would hit reply itll take me to your install instructions. Weird. I have been getting a lot of spam lately and this will be very helpful if i could get it to work.

capitanqueso

Post by capitanqueso » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:48 am

Thanks for this mod certainly it will help shake off some Russian spammers
I translated to spanish language content
language/es/posting.php

Code: Select all

'NO_LINK_FOR_YOU' => 'Tu cuenta no tiene permiso para postear links o referencias de dominio/página',
language/es/acp/board.php

Code: Select all

'LINKS_AFTER_NUM_POSTS'            => 'Cantidad mínima de posts antes de postear links externos',
  'LINKS_AFTER_NUM_POSTS_EXPLAIN'    => 'Usuarios necesitarán este número de posts antes de que puedan usar el tag BBCode [URL] o postear urls a páginas externas y referencias de dominio.',
  'LINKS_AFTER_NUM_DAYS'            => 'Días mínimos desde su registro antes de postear links externos',
  'LINKS_AFTER_NUM_DAYS_EXPLAIN'    => 'Usuarios necesitarán haber estado registrados esta cantidad de días antes de que puedan usar el tag BBCode [URL] o postear urls a páginas externas y referencias de dominio.',

Philthy

Post by Philthy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:56 am

Thanks capitanqueso :D
We have moved the mod discussion here for the latest development:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2122138

Thanks for your help.

dangerousprototypes

Post by dangerousprototypes » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:00 am

I'll try to finalize any strings today so we can combine this with the other external language file and work it all into the next release.

pilch

Post by pilch » Sat May 21, 2011 10:12 am

Just a quick shout-out to all the dev's involved with this work, I can't thank you enough. I've just installed the disable_links_mod_0.0.3 as a test on a sandbox site and it's working well. When I say working, what I mean is that it's been a long time since I've installed any XMOD's and from my initial 'test' user account and post attempt with a URL, this mod's doing it's job.

So after reading 6 pages of this post thread, I now see that there's a rolls royce version of this with the two of you guys getting your heads together. So I'm definetly going to look at installing that one as it contains a lot of rather useful features that I'm interested in, i.e the Customisation of red 'post warning' messages and the option to setup cron jobs to siphen out the crap too.

Wish me luck!! Oh and Philthy, I've sent you a PM saying Hi.

Thanks again guys, really appreciate your efforts here. If donating via PayPal to you both as a way of saying thanks is good for you then let me know ;)

Philthy

Post by Philthy » Sat May 21, 2011 12:52 pm

That's thanks enough Pilch :D

Glad you like it.

zacharyburt

Post by zacharyburt » Mon May 23, 2011 4:26 pm

Thank you for this! :)
I just installed it for CompassionPit's forum.. i'll let ya know how it goes!
(Any other recommended mods I should install, to fight spammers?) :)

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”