[ABD] phpBB CMS 1.0.0

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Peter_Smith
Name: Pete Smith

[ABD] phpBB CMS 1.0.0

Post by Peter_Smith » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:34 pm

Modification Name: phpBB CMS
Author: Peter_Smith

Modification Description: phpbb CMS is a lightweight and powerful content management system, supporting version control, hierarchical site structure and more, for phpBB.
Modification Version: 1.0.0-RC1

Features:
Standards compliant
The CMS builds on prosilver, allowing for existing prosilver-inheriting styles to work with the CMS with no configuration, whilst producing valid XHTML and CSS. It also works with subsilver 2.

Rich text editing
Pages are created using TinyMCE, a powerful WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) text editor, providing an easy to use, word processor like interface, complete with spell checking and one-click page breaks for automatic pagination of content.

Files can be easily uploaded and existing images inserted into pages, whether uploading from a file on your computer, or on a remote server. Images can be automatically resized to fit in the page, whilst maintaining the original image.

Soft locking
When you work on a page, it is automatically locked to you, notifying other users of your activity to preventing users unknowingly working on one page at the same time. You don’t need to worry about manually locking/unlocking pages; pages are automatically unlocked when you finish editing a page. Locks are also flexible; you are never blocked from working on a page and CMS will notify you if someone else changed the page whilst you were working on it.

Hierarchical site structure
Pages are positioned in a hierarchical structure, allowing for grouping of pages. The structure allows for automatic generation of navigation and breadcrumbs.

Flexible document types
A page can not only consist of rich text, files are considered pages too, seamlessly integrating with the site structure and taking advantage of the powerful versioning system. Pages can also be used to create links to other resources, or even other websites. Pages can be extended using modules, or, for quick integration, PHP can be embedded inline into pages, in the same way as phpBB’s template system.

Custom styles
Pages can use different styles, allowing different areas of the site to be easily defined.

Extendable modules
Following the same format for modules created in the UCP, MCP and ACP, dynamically driven modules can easily be created to extend the CMS beyond static text. The CMS comes with premade modules for site maps and news publishing.

Version control
Rather than editing a page, changes are made by creating a new version, allowing for powerful tracking of changes to a page from multiple users. Versions can be reverted, as well as the differences in versions compared. Version control is also linked seamlessly with logging, showing all actions made to a page.

Version control can also be disabled, allowing for a lightweight, traditional editing system ideal for smaller scale or single administrator setups.

The version control system can also be configured to send email/Jabber notifications to either all administrators, or only the page contributors, every time an edit is made to a page.

Workflow management
Versions can be created as drafts, keeping the current page unchanged, whilst allowing you to manage unpublished changes. Pages can also be disabled, removing the need to delete content.

Sitemaps
Automatically supports the sitemaps protocol, making it easier for search engines to index both the CMS and forums.

Canonicalization
Each page has a single URL, removing possibilities for duplicate content querying from search engines. Preferred URLS are automatically enforced using permanent redirects. Options are also provided for forcing the www. prefix.

Human-readable URLS
Takes advantage of Apache’s mod_rewrite to produce well-formatted URLS, reflecting the site hierarchy in the URL. Even without mod_rewrite, the CMS will still produce clean URLS.

Link integrity/tracking
All links throughout the site are tracked, meaning links won’t break when you redirect or move a page. The CMS will also keep track of links when deleting a page, alerting you to potential broken links.

Incoming links from other sites are also tracked, allowing you to monitor who is linking to your content, and the number of refers. You'll also be alerted when actions may cause both external and internal links to become broken. The CMS tracks links using refbacks, trackbacks and pingbacks, as well as notifying sites you link to with the trackback and pingback protocol.

We'll also remember when you rename a page's URL (or change its parent - URLS are hierarchical) and redirect users from old URL to the new one, thus preventing links from external sites from becoming broken.

Easy installation
No PHP edits - just copy the CMS files into your board. Only minor template edits are required.

Screenshots: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ptchaw/set ... 766572740/

Modification Download:
http://www.gloucestershireorchardgroup. ... .0-RC1.zip

Known issues:
  • TinyMCE compressor does not work when zlib compression is enabled
  • Enabling 'Preview style' in writing settings may stop scrollbar appearing in TinyMCE
  • Memory limit may be exceeded in the page editor, depending on memory_limit value in php.ini
  • robots.txt missing from package (fix in RC2)
Translators: Help us localise phpBB CMS! We are looking for people able to translate the CMS's language pack into other languages. PM me if interested.
Last edited by Peter_Smith on Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:23 am, edited 6 times in total.

mutank
Name: Dominic Struczynski

Re: [RC] phpBB CMS 1.0.0

Post by mutank » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:06 pm

Looks like a very well made MOD.

In a nutshell, what benefits does this give to the Site Administrator or User?

From what I can see, it enables you to create custom pages with SEO-like custom URLs.

Peter_Smith

Post by Peter_Smith » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:31 pm

Basically yes, the ability for a single/multiple users to create and edit pages, though the Administration Control Panel.

stokerpiller

Post by stokerpiller » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:46 pm

This is looking very interesting. Hope you continue to develop and support this, and get it validated ;)
I am done with phpBB

Peter_Smith

Post by Peter_Smith » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:24 pm

stokerpiller wrote:This is looking very interesting. Hope you continue to develop and support this, and get it validated ;)
Thanks. The project has commercial support from a client, so will definitely will be continually developed. If there are no problems with the RC, I will submit it :)

keith10456

Post by keith10456 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:57 am

Wow!!! This is what I've been waiting for!!!

Thank you!

keith10456

Post by keith10456 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:04 pm

1 - When installing this mod, I'm assuming that the files in "phpbb3" goes inside of your phpbb root directory and .htaccess, config.php, cron.php, index.php, sitemap.php and xmlrpc.php go inside of your website root?

Or can I add the above referenced files (.htaccess, config.php, etc.) in a directory inside of my phpbb root? Ex: mysite.com/phpbb/cms

2 - After the installation is complete, where do we go to set the Permissions? Upon going to Group Permissions I didn't see any options for the CMS.

3 - For the CMS Settings, should the "CMS Path" be relevant to your phpbb root (where you added the CMS files) or to where the index.php file (from the CMS install) is located?

Peter_Smith

Post by Peter_Smith » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:28 pm

1 Yes, you are correct. The intended setup is to have the CMS root directory as the parent directory for phpBB.

2 There is currently only one permission; for administrators to be able to access the ACP modules for the CMS. By default, this permission is granted to all administrators. You can change this in the ACP under Global Permissions > Administrators > MISC.

3 The CMS path should be automatically generated for you by the installer, so you should be able to leave it as is. It is relevant to the CMS root (i.e. the directory above your phpBB root). For most cases, where CMS is in the root directory of your site, the CMS path is blank. If your CMS was located at http://www.example.com/cms, the CMS path would be /cms The path must not include a trailing slash.

4 Yes, this is certainly possible, although you will have to make a couple of changes; you will need to edit config.php in the CMS root - change this to the path of your phpBB directory. So in your case, the file would look like this:

Code: Select all

<?php
// phpBB CMS auto-generated configuration file

// Set path to phpBB relative to the current folder, e.g. “phpBB3/”. Include a trailing slash.
// If the UMIL installer was unable to write to this file, you'll need to set this manually.
$phpbb_root_path = $cms_root_path . '../phpbb/';
?>
You will also need to open the file cms_config in your phpBB directory and specify the relative path to the CMS root directory, so in your case:

<?php
// Defines the root directory for the CMS
// Set this on installation
$cms_root_path = $phpbb_root_path . '../cms/';
?>
Cheers,
Pete

keith10456

Post by keith10456 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:46 pm

Thanks for the info.

I have it so my cms is here: mysite.com/cms (in the ACP I have it like so: "/cms")

My phpbb is here: mysite.com/phpbb

For some reason, I can't access none of the pages that I create. The page could not be found.

The link address for the test page (named "test") is showing:

http://mysite.com/test?sid=2c76085b4cca ... 4b742bbd80

But shouldn't it show:

http://mysite.com/cms/test?sid=2c76085b ... 4b742bbd80

(Notice the "cms" directory is missing in the first link.)

Then when I add "cms" to the link I get this error:

Could not find the phpBB directory. Check the path is set correctly in config.php

I checked the config.php file and this is what's there:

<?php

// Set path to phpBB relative to the current folder, e.g. “phpBB3/”. Include a trailing slash.
// If the UMIL installer was unable to write to this file, you'll need to set this manually.
$phpbb_root_path = $cms_root_path . 'community/';
?>

Peter_Smith

Post by Peter_Smith » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:08 pm

There is two problems here - the first is that the CMS is unable to find your phpBB directory, the second that links are not generated correctly.

in the CMS's config.php file, you will need to change it so the file looks like this:

<?php

?>
Then try navigating to http://www.example.com/cms/test - hopefully this should fix the error. Also try navigating to http://www.example.com/cms/ if it is still not working.

I will try and replicate your setup on my test server now to see why the links are not generated correctly in this scenario.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:17 pm

Peter_Smith wrote:There is two problems here - the first is that the CMS is unable to find your phpBB directory, the second that links are not generated correctly.

in the CMS's config.php file, you will need to change it so the file looks like this:

<?php

?>
Then try navigating to http://www.example.com/cms/test - hopefully this should fix the error. Also try navigating to http://www.example.com/cms/ if it is still not working.

I will try and replicate your setup on my test server now to see why the links are not generated correctly in this scenario.
The change you suggested for the config file worked... The page now shows. However, the phpbb style is missing (none of the css is applied). Take a look: http://urbanareas.net/cms/test

Raul [ThE KuKa]
Style Customisations
Style Customisations
Name: Raul Arroyo

Post by Raul [ThE KuKa] » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:22 pm

Nice MOD ;)
Thank you.
All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.
:warning: Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules | phpBB Styles Rules & Policies :warning:

If you like my styles, translations, etc. and want to show some appreciation, then feel free to Donate with Image
:flag_es: phpBB Spain - Online Since 2003 :heart:

Peter_Smith

Post by Peter_Smith » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:23 pm

I also managed to get the CMS to access the phpBB directory as I described above, but unfortunately, due to the way the CMS generates links, it assumes the phpBB directory is a subdirectory of the CMS, causing the links and stylesheet to be broken.

I will try and rewrite the code so this can be changed; originally, I hadn't considered that people would want to place the CMS elsewhere, but for now you will have to have to place the CMS files in the parent directory.

Pete

keith10456

Post by keith10456 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:44 pm

Peter_Smith wrote:I also managed to get the CMS to access the phpBB directory as I described above, but unfortunately, due to the way the CMS generates links, it assumes the phpBB directory is a subdirectory of the CMS, causing the links and stylesheet to be broken.

I will try and rewrite the code so this can be changed; originally, I hadn't considered that people would want to place the CMS elsewhere, but for now you will have to have to place the CMS files in the parent directory.

Pete
OK...

So I uploaded all of the cms files to my website root (and not a separate directory).

In config.php I have "info/"

In the ACP under CMS settings what should I put for CMS path (since it's in the website root)?

I tried leaving it blank without success. When I attempt to access a new test page it could not be found.

The link address is: http://mysite.com/?p=test&sid=2c76085b4 ... 4b742bbd80

keith10456

Post by keith10456 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:53 pm

Update...

Same issue even when I upload all of the cms files to the website root.

The link is not generated correctly... And when I manually type the url the style is missing.

Currently this is how I have everything setup:

phpbb = mysite.com/phpbb

cms = mysite.com/ (all cms files)

config.php = info/

ACP CMS Settings = / (when left blank doesn't work)
Peter_Smith wrote:... due to the way the CMS generates links, it assumes the phpBB directory is a subdirectory of the CMS, causing the links and stylesheet to be broken.

I will try and rewrite the code so this can be changed; originally, I hadn't considered that people would want to place the CMS elsewhere,

So the way it is written now, it probably wouldn't work unless this is installed on a vanilla install? Otherwise, how would we get the phpbb directory to be a subdirectory of the CMS? Also, many admins have their phpbb installed in their website root.

I hope this can get worked out. This is truly a great mod!

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”