[ABD] phpBB CMS 1.0.0

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Sshadow
Name: Chris C.

Re: [RC] phpBB CMS 1.0.0

Post by Sshadow » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:10 am

Oooh maybe it will be released in time to be a nice little birthday present for me lol

ind1

Post by ind1 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:09 am

Brill cant wait for the next release,

Ability to promote posts to articles would be a great feature ;)

Raul [ThE KuKa]
Style Customisations
Style Customisations
Name: Raul Arroyo

Post by Raul [ThE KuKa] » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:08 pm

Working to the translation Spanish for this MOD ;)
All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.
:warning: Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules | phpBB Styles Rules & Policies :warning:

If you like my styles, translations, etc. and want to show some appreciation, then feel free to Donate with Image
:flag_es: phpBB Spain - Online Since 2003 :heart:

GravityDK

Post by GravityDK » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:23 am

Peter_Smith wrote:I'm going to open this up a little, are there any features that people would really like to see in future versions of phpBB CMS? It might be a way off, but I'm interested in seeing what sort of things people might use the CMS for and how it could be better developed.

Off the top of my head...
  • Search tool for pages
  • Embedding support for MP3s/Flash video (something like http://en.support.wordpress.com/audio/# ... -your-blog for Wordpress)
  • Multicolumn design - creating of content in sidebars
  • Option to allow comments on pages
  • Time-based publishing options - publish/delete content automatically in the future?
  • Trash tool - pages/versions moved to 'trash' and deleted after, say 30 days
  • Permissions system for controlling access to pages, such as by phpBB group
  • AJAX in the ACP - drag & drop reording of pages, autosave when editing pages, client side validation
  • Password protected pages (personally I can't think of a viable use for this, but phpBB supports this for forums)
  • Prune tool/auto pruning of old versions
Pete
Hi Peter,
wow am I glad I came across this mod. I'm so glad you've got commercial support from a client to have got this far. I will definitely set up a test server to install and test at my next opportunity.

In the mean time, some feedback from the perspective of a person who runs a WordPress blog and forum for my site. I recently stopped using wp-united (which integrates the two) for a number of reasons I've outlined in a long article on forum/wordpress integration.

My goal, along with many other bloggers, is to have forums along with our blog.
A CMS is only a few short steps away from being a blogging system, and I think in your latest version the changes to the News module might have nailed it, but I haven't tried it yet to know and can't work it out from your description.

I expect you know all this, but for the sake of a common ground, let me highlight the key requirements for bloggers who want forums too:
  • that a "blog" post can be commented on by unregistered users, who only need to provide a valid email address and their name. Comments then go through a workflow with approval/spam possibilities eventually leading to publishing, sometimes straight-through if that email address has been a previously accepted commenter.
  • that registered forum users can also comment on the blog post, using their existing phpBB credentials, and the result is a single conversation around the single blog post. That same "blog post" is also simultaneously a forum topic (it's just been presented on the blog-side or portal face of the website). In contrast, if you look at my blog for a topic I have cross-posted (such as that article), people can comment on the blog side or the forum side but it's about the same content. It's terrible, but there's no way around I've found in the current wordpress or phpbb community.
  • visual theme/style integration between the blog and the forums. WordPress does allow fairly advanced style control. For example, I have a plugin called Section Widget which uses jQuery tabs to show the most recent posts across a variety of blog categories. The list of posts are generated by a shortcode, which in turn does an SQL query using parameters I defined to include category ID, DESC order, most recent 10 limit, etc
  • able to make it all look pretty (bonus points if you don't need any skill do achieve this and can just use a theme someone clever has designed)
As you know, one key to a blog is that it's date-stamped, usually presented in a chronological order. An earlier poster is using a category-based set of images to display their blog posts, but that's just one visual presentation of what remains a set of date-stamped blog posts. There's some categorisation (that should follow a good information architecture, hierarchial) and then also tags (which are semantic markers for the themes within that post), and then usually some kind of content navigation system is possible to find that content using the dimensions of category or theme. Like I have the Section Widget to display by category.

Righto, with that background out of the way, perhaps useful in its own right, what I'd like to be able to do is this.

I'd like to either a CMS page or a forum topic act as the "blog" post. I'd want fields for category (singular), tags (multiple), date-stamp, plus some identity in the forum structure. Other tweaks like meta-tags and alternative titles for window titles or H1 text are just nice-to-have.

The "blog" post also appears in the forums. If the blog post is a CMS article, then perhaps its forum identify is an automatically created topic. Alternatively, the blog post may already be a forum topic. It appears to users who click 'new posts' or perform other phpBB searches, and is a normal phpBB post in as many respects as possible.

I'd like a News portal which shows the most recent "blog" post. Below it are the older ones. I'd like to choose a "more" break point, which becomes a link that users need to click to read the rest of the post. Nice-to-have: rules around how many blog posts are shown in full, how many are shown in the News portal altogether, whether to automatically insert the "more" break after #x words or not.

Unregistered users can comment on that "blog" post. Those comments become 'guest' replies within the forum system. Some spam detection like Mollum, Akismet combined with re-use of an Open Source wordpress plugin like NospamNX puts the comment through an approval workflow. Comments have no-follow for any HTML links inserted.

I'd like if visual presentation is abstracted from the content where-ever reasonable. CSS classes which control the style of text such as font, size, bullet point style and so on, and the style of boxes around the article, and so on. Like a WordPress theme, so that you create a market into which people can design. There's an entire industry around WordPress theme development, created because the content and presentation were abstracted. Anything that approaches the end-state WordPress are in would be great.

A published API or developer guide which would allow people to port plugins like the Section Widget, and then most importantly, have phpBB CMS adminstrators insert that plugin to a visual location they so choose, ideally on the side of the multi-column arrangement you foreshadowed.

To your own list, then, my comments:
  • search: highly desirable, ideally allowing Sphinx integration
  • embedding youtube videos, shouldn't be hard, if we can insert HTML then we can use their embed codes already I'd have thought. If not, highly desirable
  • multi-column, that'd be great. Ideally in a way which bundle that setting with other visual decisions into a 'theme' package which is discrete and can be shared amongst the community (or wordpress themes) without including logic in them ideally (like phpbb styles do :()
  • time-based publishing. The scheduling of posts for a future date is nice for high-end CMS where you have press embargo issues, but for most people it's not going to be used. Low priority. What is necessary is the date-stamp capability I mentioned earlier
  • Permission-based system for content control using phpBB's ACLs would be very cool. I'm sure lots of people would value it.
  • AJAX is great, such a lovely quality-of-life feature. Have a look at what the new commercial forum system xenforo are doing with it, superb.
  • page-based passwords, meh, I don't see the use either. Better to authenticate against an OpenID service like Google and have an email-address based ACL
  • Pruning, I can't make a judgement on this. Really not sure.
I hope all that helps your architectural decisions now, and congratulations on developing what is absolutely one of the most important phpBB mods I've seen in a long while.

peterb_777

Post by peterb_777 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:03 pm

Hi,
Just a quick question: Is there a way to add more modules to this? In other words, not just the news and sitemap but others as well.

Thanks for your reply,

Peter

peterb_777

Post by peterb_777 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:15 pm

Just a note on this problem which is no longer a problem. I had to uninstall the cms, update umil to the latest version and then install CMS. This fixed the problem and I now have all under CMS in the ACP.
thanks!!

Peter
peterb_777 wrote:Hi,
I have received the following errors which were in umil/error_files/phpbb_cms1.txt:

Code: Select all

phpBB CMS
PHP Version: 5.3.0
DBMS: MySQL(i) 5.1.35-community
phpBB3 Version: 3.0.7-PL1

Adding acp module: CMS
SQL ERROR Unknown column 'after' in 'field list'

Adding acp module: General
ERROR: The parent category specified for this module does not exist.

Adding acp module: CMS configuration

Adding acp module: Pages

Adding acp module: Modules

Adding acp module: CMS index

Adding acp module: CMS settings

Adding acp module: Writing settings

Adding acp module: Page editor

Adding acp module: Upload

Adding acp module: News

Any Ideas on this please?
Thank you very much!!

Peter

Peter_Smith
Name: Pete Smith

Post by Peter_Smith » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:04 pm

peterb_777 wrote:Is there a way to add more modules to this? In other words, not just the news and sitemap but others as well.
Yes! A module in the CMS is identical to modules for the ACP/MCP/UCP. Have a look at the phpBB wiki for how to make a module. The only difference is that modules should begin with cms_ (rather than acp_ mcp_ or ucp_). Place the files in the includes/cms/ directory and you will be able to use them as pages in the page editor. You can look at the sitemap/news modules as examples.

sirishy2k

Post by sirishy2k » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:04 pm

News from different forums displays the content from the same forum.
I am trying to display the content from different forums in the front page.This is what I did.
Acp->CMS->Page Editor

+Created a new page .
+Left the slug to default.
+From the Type I selected module
-> In the module Options
I selected News[cms_news] for the module options
and Module mode to news.
Then I clicked on save "Page and go to administration"
I selected a Forum
and selected display children.

I cleared the cache and refreshed the page the forum contents got displayed and now i again created a another page following the same steps and selected a different forum but now even the former page contents got changed to the latter contents.
And this is happening every time i create a new news module.
I checked the forum settings for the news modules which i created and all point to a same forum.If I update any of the news modules all the news modules point to the same forum.

I am doing anything wrong or should i change any settings ??

Peter_Smith
Name: Pete Smith

Post by Peter_Smith » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:56 pm

sirishy2k wrote:News from different forums displays the content from the same forum.
I am trying to display the content from different forums in the front page.
Helps if you read the previous posts ;)

I've fixed this in 1.0.0, which will be released soon.
Peter_Smith wrote:
ind1 wrote:Question is there a way to copy or recreate the news module so that you can say post different news from different forums
Currently, no; the forum to fetch the news from is stored in the same place, regardless of the page. However I can see why you would want to display news from different forums and will try and quickly build a fix for RC2 (released in the next couple of days).

sirishy2k

Post by sirishy2k » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:39 pm

Nice I will be waiting for the release.
Check ur PM
:)
-Thank You

Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:12 am

Anyone have a demo they are willing to share for public? I seen the screeenshots, but I'd like to see it for myself. :)

Sshadow
Name: Chris C.

Post by Sshadow » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:59 am

Peter77sx wrote:Anyone have a demo they are willing to share for public? I seen the screeenshots, but I'd like to see it for myself. :)
You can check the forum in my sig. I am using this on my board. I still have a few personal formatting things I wanna do with it but I am waiting till the next release to do so.

Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:33 am

Sshadow wrote:
Peter77sx wrote:Anyone have a demo they are willing to share for public? I seen the screeenshots, but I'd like to see it for myself. :)
You can check the forum in my sig. I am using this on my board. I still have a few personal formatting things I wanna do with it but I am waiting till the next release to do so.
Thanks but you have a big site. I'm not sure where you keep your articles using this MOD. :)

BTW, offtopic, but when entering your site I get:

SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'AND link_external = 1 AND link_url IN ('http://phpbb.com/community/viewtopic' at line 4 [1064]
An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.

refreshing makes it go away and I can vew ur site fine afterwards. only with FF it seems.

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:46 am

That SQL error is a slight bug with this MOD that will be fixed with the next release.
Peter_Smith wrote:Just to update things, I'm now hoping to go straight to a release of phpBB CMS 1.0.0 (rather than RC2), now confident that the CMS is stable.

Fixes
  • SQL errors in external link tracking
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

spanspace

Post by spanspace » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:45 pm

I get this when I try to run the install_cms/index.php

Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/spanthegnome.com/httpdocs/s3xy/phpBB3/includes/functions_cms.php on line 643

Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/spanthegnome.com/httpdocs/s3xy/phpBB3/includes/functions_cms.php on line 643

Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/spanthegnome.com/httpdocs/s3xy/phpBB3/includes/functions_cms.php on line 801

Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/spanthegnome.com/httpdocs/s3xy/phpBB3/includes/functions_cms.php on line 801

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”