[ABD] Facebook graph/connect logins and registration

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
finallygreen

Re: [RC] Facebook graph/connect logins and registration

Post by finallygreen » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:41 pm

Installed this morning....everything went perfectly smooth. Now testing it out, and I see that I'm completely unable to logout of my forum. First few tries told me I'd successfully logged out, then redirected me to a blank page (attempted to redirect me to index, obviously)....and a refresh showed me still logged in. Last few tries, it actually redirects me to the index page correctly the first time, but still shows me logged in.

I'm using Firefox 3.6.3. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

UPDATE: Just tried on IE8 as well...same exact behavior.

Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:41 pm

I was having the same problem. I've since uninstalled for now... so vinny no link for me to share yet.
just glad i am not the only one with this issue.

if it helps, It's only when i deleted the hooks file that I was able to log out.

finallygreen

Post by finallygreen » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:34 pm

Yeah I noticed your post before I posted, Pete...in fact, I was sorta hoping that since you hadn't followed up that maybe you'd resolved it and would have an answer for me.

Hopefully Vinny will have some suggestions soon?

Skinny Vinny

Post by Skinny Vinny » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:14 am

Skinny Vinny wrote:Sounds to me like you added something that has status: true in the fb js, show me and I'll let you know.
I can't tell anyone without seeing it myself. If you have another fb js script on your page, like if you copy/pasted the fb js from fb itself, or perhaps used a like button mod from another party, then you may have 'status: true' in that js. That tells the fb javascript to automatically authenticate a logged in fb user and set the cookie. This hooks fb js then says when I have an authentication event, load the page again with my cookie check value. Page is loaded, hook see's new cookie, logs you right back in.

If I'm right, you could test it by logging out of facebook, and then reloading your forum page and logging out. If you stay logged out, then my assumption is correct and you have more than one fb js in your templates.

I disabled the automatic authentication in this hook because there are 'bad browsers'. We encountered one during initial testing: the browser would not set the fb cookie but fb js knew it should have and threw the user into a never ending page reload. This is not a product or effect of this hook, but an issue with fb js and those rare-but-very-possible 'bad browsers'.

Not only did removing that automatic fb authentication resolve the bad browser issue, it allows us to leave the user logged into facebook when they log out of our sites: yep, with auto authentication you must log them out of facebook (with javascript) when they're logging out. Your users will not like this, but that's what has to be done on connect sites/apps that use the auto auth (status: true). Also, it allows your user to return to site and browse anonymously.

There's no need to have the fb js on your templates more than once.
If you placed it there (or was placed there) by another mod or fb feature, the status: true parameter/value will do this.

If for some reason the status: true can not be removed, you can use javascript to log the user out of facebook also when they click the logout link by adding an onclick event. I recommend that you do not.

If you wish to clone your site to a demo location, I'll gladly take a look and verify that this is what is occuring.

finallygreen

Post by finallygreen » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:20 am

Vinny, you're more than welcome to look at my site if it helps the troubleshooting process.

www.fullasoul.com

Skinny Vinny

Post by Skinny Vinny » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:37 am

So much easier when I can see it myself.
Everything I said above/before is valid about the javascripts.

(content removed as apparently incorrect... looking further into it now.)

For everyone....
If you had any of the previous attempts at a phpbb connect mod installed on your boards, don't just remove them from templates and/or disable them (if such option was available). Remove them completely! Just because removing them from the template makes them disappear... they're still there! They don't work, they shouldn't be there anymore.

(Update, looking further into this users issue.)
Last edited by Skinny Vinny on Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

finallygreen

Post by finallygreen » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:58 am

As much as I wish I could confirm your guess to be correct (because it would put me so much closer to a solution), the truth of the matter is that this morning is the first time I thought to install any Facebook Connect mod. In fact, I didn't know such a thing existed until 12 hours ago. Following a long line of links and Google search results indicated that this was the 'current' solution, and the only one that would work....so I went for it.

But like I said, I've never installed any such thing before this morning, and this was the only one I went for....

Skinny Vinny

Post by Skinny Vinny » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:50 am

Removed body of previous post as there is clearly some other issue here.
Pm me a list off all mods and current phpbb version that you have installed on your board. Peter, if you could do the same please.

There's something common between your boards that is causing this issue. The hook is working perfectly for 99% of users: we need to see what is so different for you guys. It has to come down to some modification.

bogger

Post by bogger » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:14 am

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but it would be nice if you could toggle whether a user's FB profile pic is ported over or not. Would also be nice if you could toggle whether a user's name is ported over too.

I say this because people don't want their real names to be seen on some forums, but users generally fill in registration forms on auto pilot. adding a toggle on auto-fill registration into the board settings would stop people regging with their real names

And I found that you can set the picture size with ?type=large& which won't return an error, thanks to "&"

Code: Select all

function svmods_facebook_avatar_url($uid)
{
	return 'http://graph.facebook.com/' . $uid . '/picture?type=large&.jpg';
}

Skinny Vinny

Post by Skinny Vinny » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:07 am

You mean like this?

Already there.
Yes, you can change the line to use the other fb image sizes, but keep in mind that their image sizes are not defined. Width, yes. Height.... nope. That's why everyone always sticks to the default 50x50 square.

bogger

Post by bogger » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:03 pm

Well, by default the avatar and name options are filled, which is annoying. I sorted it anyway.
Still having problems with the logout thing, though

stylerro

Post by stylerro » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:01 pm

i am stuck when i try to get the Facebook application id and Facebook application secret.when i go here: http://developers.facebook.com/setup/ i got an error after Security Check :
Sorry, an error has occurred.
We're working on getting this fixed as soon as we can.
all day i got this error..
i can't test this great mod :(

jinkal
I've Been Banned!

Post by jinkal » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:10 pm

Thanks for sharing, i can check the connect graphs of logins and registrations easily, is there any new tech used in implementing. it really works verywell i will work to implement this graph to my site

weilies

Post by weilies » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:24 am

hi, can this plugin allow publish stream?

eg. while a fb connected user post/reply, it wil stream to his friend's network's?

John T. Folden

Post by John T. Folden » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:09 pm

I've just installed this and it seems to be working quite well.

I have a question, however. The 'process' of registration skips some of the normal questions asked of a new member because it pulls that info from FB. However, I have a Custom Profile Field that normally MUST be filled out when someone registers. Is there any way to have this appear when FB users are registering?

Thanks!
The Blue Whale Pub - SPN/SF/F TV Discussion Forum
ZOMBIE ALERT: The Walking Dead are coming to AMC!

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”