[ABD] foum-mailing list bridge

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
uckelman

Re: [ALPHA] foum-mailing list bridge

Post by uckelman »

sgbotsford wrote:As of Februrary 2013 I cannot find this mod in the mod database. I am not a skilled php programmer, and am unwilling to work with it until it is at least at the release candidate stage.

What is the status of this project? If it's a matter of release immanent, I'll curb my patience.
It's in active use, and has been for several years, at a high-traffic site I run. I've fixed bugs during 2012. No one has volunteered to package it.
kazkotx

Post by kazkotx »

I have given up on this one myself. And many of us have been waiting for the old mail2forum effort, but if you are reading this, you need to also give up on that.

I have had success using Elric's phpbb-mail-gateway with PHPBB 3.0.11 with YahooGroups. It seems to like email in and email out. It also has the ability to import from maildir path which I am using with the latest grabyahoogroups.pl. This alternative method required me to clean up the import files manually with a perl script, but now I do not have to rely on email, I can easily import the entire archive in the same fashion as it does recent, I can use a single account across multiple groups, and scraping is more secure than email. His script has some great features for those using it with a local listserv, such as auto creating accounts and whatnot, but I use it in a mode where it simply inserts the username without linking and it does not create accounts.

The grabyahoogroups.pl saves each message as a separate file, I duplicated the save lines to make it also save a copy in an import folder which I then operate from. This keeps the original message archive on the computer for historical reference and/or future changes and re-do's.

It is interesting to consider using this as an archive mechanism as well, where every forum post gets emailed out to your own system to be saved as a maildir file. These can easily be put on a web site as a basic and portable archive of your own board history. This post to email function can also be used to synchronize two dissimilar boards if desired. Once you get a feel for tweaking scripts, it really opens the possibility for using them creatively.
uckelman

Post by uckelman »

kazkotx wrote:I have given up on this one myself.
Care to say why? It's maintained and in active use.
Rolf_V

Post by Rolf_V »

Hi ukelman,
I think, this bridge is even I'm searching for. I want to combine a mailing list (handled by php scripts) with a phpBB-forum, so that a subscriber can choose, whether he get digest mails or reads the forum. All users and all postings have to be in the mailing list and in the phpBB-forum.
If your forum-mailing list bridge can do that, I would like to ask you to tell me the URl for downloading the latest version and, hopefully, the install manual.
Thanks in advance

Rolf
uckelman

Post by uckelman »

Rolf_V wrote:Hi ukelman,
I think, this bridge is even I'm searching for. I want to combine a mailing list (handled by php scripts) with a phpBB-forum, so that a subscriber can choose, whether he get digest mails or reads the forum. All users and all postings have to be in the mailing list and in the phpBB-forum.
If your forum-mailing list bridge can do that, I would like to ask you to tell me the URl for downloading the latest version and, hopefully, the install manual.
Thanks in advance

Rolf
The code for the latest version is in our project's git repo. You can clone it like so:

Code: Select all

git clone git://vassalengine.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/vassalengine/listbridge
Installation instructions are in the INSTALL file.
Rolf_V

Post by Rolf_V »

Sorry uckelman,
my Windows/Firefox doesn't know the git - protocol.
Is there a possibility to download it under Windows?
uckelman

Post by uckelman »

Rolf_V wrote:Sorry uckelman,
my Windows/Firefox doesn't know the git - protocol.
Is there a possibility to download it under Windows?
There are several git clients for Windows.
LZZ

Post by LZZ »

This seems what I am looking for, but I dont understand a few things.

This mod requires every list user to be registered at the forum? It links them trough the email address? How does it handles posts by people not registered at the forum?
Also, I read the install file and didn't understand how the mod can post on the forum (list-to-forum) without access to the forum database... Is it done by that patch to posting.php?
uckelman

Post by uckelman »

LZZ wrote:This seems what I am looking for, but I dont understand a few things.

This mod requires every list user to be registered at the forum? It links them trough the email address?
Yes.
How does it handles posts by people not registered at the forum?
Messages from unregistered addresses don't appear in the forum.
Also, I read the install file and didn't understand how the mod can post on the forum (list-to-forum) without access to the forum database... Is it done by that patch to posting.php?
Yes.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

don't know anything about git. however, it seems lot to ask for someone to have to download and install and learn how to use a whole new program just so you can download this MOD.

why can't is simply be made available as a zip file somewhere like everything else is?

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
uckelman

Post by uckelman »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:don't know anything about git. however, it seems lot to ask for someone to have to download and install and learn how to use a whole new program just so you can download this MOD.
You don't need to know anything about git in order to download the list bridge. The single command you need is given above. However, if you're not comfortable running that command then you might reconsider whether you'll succeed at installing the list bridge, as you'll also need to use patch and do some configuration of your mail server.
why can't is simply be made available as a zip file somewhere like everything else is?
It can be. There's nothing stopping anyone who volunteers to do so from packaging the list bridge that way.
LZZ

Post by LZZ »

uckelman wrote:
LZZ wrote:This seems what I am looking for, but I dont understand a few things.

This mod requires every list user to be registered at the forum? It links them trough the email address?
Yes.
How does it handles posts by people not registered at the forum?
Messages from unregistered addresses don't appear in the forum.
Yes.
How hard would it be to change it so it post all list messages on the forum with a special forum account? I don't know anything about phpbb mods, but I know a bit of PHP. If it's not too hard, can you tell me what I have to do, so I don't lose time?
kazkotx

Post by kazkotx »

In my message above in this thread, the mod that I am using imports messages from a list and does not require existing or even creation of account. It simply posts the message sender name and it will not be linked if a matching account doesnt exist. I suspect that is what you are looking for, ie: importing message archive perhaps from Yahoo.

It works. I have been using it to load up niche related histories for some of my web sites as well as actually linking them to active Yahoo groups. One forum per group or many groups on a single forum. Suddenly my weak 4000 topic forum now has 200,000+ related topic history and more current activity. But you'll want to scrub the message base before import to remove ads, spam, pr0n, signatures, references to yahoo and so on. Also the topic threading on Yahoo message import fails often as people change subject lines all the time for some reason. It can be a lot of manual work to import and even maintain a connection to something external.

Problem now is that Yahoo Groups is largely dead for current activity and most groups are nothing but robot spam. I suspect that Facebook is killing it due to much less spam and other conveniences. So a new question is how to get a list-like output from a Facebook group activity...

I also want to find a usable crawler for Google groups to start collecting some of that ancient usenet fodder.
uckelman

Post by uckelman »

LZZ wrote:How hard would it be to change it so it post all list messages on the forum with a special forum account? I don't know anything about phpbb mods, but I know a bit of PHP. If it's not too hard, can you tell me what I have to do, so I don't lose time?
It would be pretty straightforward. All you'd need to do is comment out the code which looks up the phpBB username from the From address of the incoming email and replace that with a fixed phpBB username.
acharles
Name: charles

Post by acharles »

A related extension request for phpBB 3.1.x, seeking forum - mail list integration, is posted here:

viewtopic.php?f=496&t=2322076

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”