[ABD] foum-mailing list bridge

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
uckelman

Re: [Alpha] foum-mailing list bridge

Post by uckelman »

rcarcamonster wrote:Hi! I also want this for my phpBB3. Thank you very much. Were is your final link for testing the mod?

Thanks ;)
The instructions for pulling the code from the SVN repository or downloading a tarball are a few posts up this thread:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... #p12833392
keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Interesting... Bookmarked and will be following the development.
asbrand

Post by asbrand »

This may be exactly what I need. I have a group that consists of about half that prefer a forum like phpbb, and the other half are pretty much too lazy and just want stuff e-mailed to them like a mailing list.

What is the current status of this mod?
timbraun

Post by timbraun »

This looks like a mod I've been waiting for. I'll try to install it and let you know how it goes.

Thanks, uckelman! :)
darkonia

Post by darkonia »

bookmarked!
MMOG-Heaven - Das Gaming Portal
Community bedeutet Gleichgesinnte finden - MMOG-Heaven ist Deine Community! Von Spielern für Spieler bietet Dir dieses Portal genau das, was ein Spieler braucht. Bleibe ständig informiert, finde die neuesten MMORPGs, oder suche die frischesten News aus der Welt des Online Gamings - dieses und vieles mehr erwartet Dich auf MMOG-Heaven.
jkarneges

Post by jkarneges »

It seems http://vassalengine.svn.sourceforge.net ... nk/bridge/ gives a 404. Has this project moved? What is the current status?

I am very interested in mail<->forum conversion. I am considering phpbb 2 with mail2forum unless there is a workable phpbb 3 solution.

Thanks!
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

This topic has been marked as [ABD] - Abandoned as the mod author has not been active recently. If the MOD author wishes to continue development, please PM anyone on the MOD Team to request this topic be unlocked.

Thank you,
The phpBB Modifications Team
battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Re: [ABD] foum-mailing list bridge

Post by battye »

I have unlocked the topic at the request of the author and changed the status back to Alpha :)
Customisations Team Member

https://github.com/battye/php-array-parser - Give it a Star! :D
uckelman

Post by uckelman »

jkarneges wrote:It seems http://vassalengine.svn.sourceforge.net ... nk/bridge/ gives a 404. Has this project moved? What is the current status?

I am very interested in mail<->forum conversion. I am considering phpbb 2 with mail2forum unless there is a workable phpbb 3 solution.

Thanks!
Yes, I've switched from SVN to Git for source control. You can check out the code like this now:

Code: Select all

git clone git://vassalengine.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/vassalengine/listbridge
There have recently been some changes to help clean up post and email subjects, so if you're using a version other than HEAD, it's probably worth updating.
uckelman

Re: [ALPHA] foum-mailing list bridge

Post by uckelman »

I'm looking to move the ListBridge MOD from Alpha to Beta soon. This means it needs to be packaged. Is there anyone out there who would like to do the packaging work?
uckelman

Post by uckelman »

The list bridge has been successfully in use for more than two years now at http://www.vassalengine.org/forum, but there's more to be done. Tasks which should be done before a beta relase are:

* Move configuration out to a config file.
* Add support for inline attachments going out to lists.
* Convert >-style quoting to BBCode for posts coming in from lists.
* Convert BBCode quoting to >-style quoting for posts going out to lists.
* Package as a MOD.

If anyone is interested in joining me to do any of these, please let me know.
kazkotx

Post by kazkotx »

I am curious how this might do for syncing with a Yahoo group(list) where many members there are not members on the forum and vice versa.

Also, what are your thoughts on this working with phpbb3 on IIS?
uckelman

Post by uckelman »

kazkotx wrote:I am curious how this might do for syncing with a Yahoo group(list) where many members there are not members on the forum and vice versa.
You'd have to make some changes to handle that. The assumption is that all members of the list have accounts on the forum. One approach would be to automatically sign them up, another would be to create a forum account which owns posts from non-forum members.
Also, what are your thoughts on this working with phpbb3 on IIS?
You'd have to make some changes for it to work on a Windows server.
kazkotx

Post by kazkotx »

I think a forum account is the only way to go especially in this instance where YahooGroup list needs a subscribing member to email to. I think it could be made to work in such a way where, Group -> Forum, the messages are all posted from the single YahooGroup mailing list ForumId, BUT each post holds the FROM name of the original poster on Yahoo even though they are really the same "Forum" account. Perhaps some time later as users join the forum those posts could be "claimed" by the new user by doing some manual work in MySQL. And then Forum - > Group, the posts would have to all be from the single YahooGroup subscribed account, "forumdotcom", but perhaps they too could have some forum member identification in them as well if not even just an added message body header "FROM: forummember via forumdotcom."

I'd like to see something like this working. I've been wanting to add a sync forum to a few of my niche forum sites to include related activity from YahooGroups that many members participate in already. I think a catchall is a very important piece to this kind of mechanism anyway because even in a perfect setup eventually something wont be in sync and it would be tragic to lose the data along the way because of it.

M2F was going to be the way to go but I think they failed by the ridiculous amount of effort to redesign and add all of the feature creep. Step one should have just been modding existing system to work with pbpbb3 just to please a lot of people instead of the actualized result of killing them off. ...sigh.

What do I have to do to accomplish this? Can I throw some cash at someone just to get the result I need? :)
sgbotsford

Post by sgbotsford »

As of Februrary 2013 I cannot find this mod in the mod database. I am not a skilled php programmer, and am unwilling to work with it until it is at least at the release candidate stage.

What is the status of this project? If it's a matter of release immanent, I'll curb my patience.

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”