[ABD] Facebook like buttons for phpBB

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Skinny Vinny

[ABD] Facebook like buttons for phpBB

Post by Skinny Vinny »

Modification Name: Facebook like buttons for phpBB
Author: Skinny Vinny

Modification Description: Creates like button options to be used in templates, configurable from ACP
Modification Version: 1.0.1

Demo URL: http://svmods.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17

Modification Download: http://svmods.com/download/svmods_faceb ... _phpbb.zip

This is another hook.
No edits to original phpbb source required, only additions to templates.

It's not my intention to step on toes (as I know there are other developers with similar mods in development). People saw mine and wanted them, so I threw it together.

I didn't intend to release these to public yet, but since people keeping asking for them after seeing them on the svmods demo site, I'm releasing an initial version. I'll add the option to configure by individual forum and style in a later revision. This one creates buttons for use on index, viewtopic, and viewforum, and has ACP options on board settings screen to configure like/recommend, light/dark color scheme, and language option (if using connect hook, lang option stays in those setting on same page).

These like buttons are created with xfbml and async js. There is no iframe version/option as they run along side of my connect hook just fine and js is really the way to go here. For those users running my connect hook: only put the {SVMODS_FACEBOOK_JS} value into the templates once. If you're using the connect hook, you should already have it there (if not, that would explain why yours isn't working lol). The connect hooks js is more involved than the js used in this one: this hook will not overwrite the existing connect js.

Read more about them at http://svmods.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17
Last edited by DavidIQ on Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as abandoned. Also in violation of Facebook's trademark policies. MOD name will need changing - http://forum.developers.facebook.net/viewtopic.php?pid=257657#p257657

darkonia

Re: [BETA] Facebook like buttons for phpBB

Post by darkonia »

nice thx a lot for your good work :ugeek:
MMOG-Heaven - Das Gaming Portal
Community bedeutet Gleichgesinnte finden - MMOG-Heaven ist Deine Community! Von Spielern für Spieler bietet Dir dieses Portal genau das, was ein Spieler braucht. Bleibe ständig informiert, finde die neuesten MMORPGs, oder suche die frischesten News aus der Welt des Online Gamings - dieses und vieles mehr erwartet Dich auf MMOG-Heaven.

heredia21

Post by heredia21 »

How about hiding the Like button if you already liked it before and are logged into facebook?
Best BlackBerry website for all users! BlackBerry News - http://blackberryempire.com

Skinny Vinny

Post by Skinny Vinny »

heredia, that is possible by eitehr a like event or parsing like data on facebook connected users. maybe in a future revision.

heredia21

Post by heredia21 »

Hmmm why not use the fb share button rather than like?
Best BlackBerry website for all users! BlackBerry News - http://blackberryempire.com

darkonia

Post by darkonia »

i dont want the share button, i only want the like.
for fb share there are other mods out there.
MMOG-Heaven - Das Gaming Portal
Community bedeutet Gleichgesinnte finden - MMOG-Heaven ist Deine Community! Von Spielern für Spieler bietet Dir dieses Portal genau das, was ein Spieler braucht. Bleibe ständig informiert, finde die neuesten MMORPGs, oder suche die frischesten News aus der Welt des Online Gamings - dieses und vieles mehr erwartet Dich auf MMOG-Heaven.

radhuza

Post by radhuza »

Hello, :)
we could connect a fb group by using the Like? For example, if clicked on, Like, so I automatically became a member of any group.
And yet, I wanted to ask if I could use Like instead of another language? Thanks a lot :)
... Excuse my English :)

Skinny Vinny

Post by Skinny Vinny »

rad, this isn't too much different than heridias question: I'll look into adding it in a future revision.

Ideally we would use an fb event on the like action to fire off an ajax request back into the hook: if the user is logged in and not in defined group, just add them. Would actually be very simple to add in, but it will wait for future revision. I have a lot of work on my plate with new job atm.

For anyone that didn't notice, fb changed the default look of the like button yesterday after a user has liked the page. Purely cosmetic, has zero impact on our use.

superj707

Post by superj707 »

I got some complaints from my users that I dont' really understand

FIrst off. love the site. you the man!

I'm sure lots of people love the new facebook like thingie at the top of the page.

it's driving me batty, I try to click a link and the DHTML moves the link just as I click and I end up somewhere else.

are there any plans to remove the facebook like thingie if we didn't link our ltc to a facebook account? or maybe just a 'the hell with facebook' option?
It does it on Chromium 5.0.375.99 (51029) and Firefox 3.6.8 under Ubuntu 10.04(lucid) as well as Chrome 5.0.375.125 under Windows XP SP2.

Without digging through your javascript (which I can do if you'd like), it looks like it's pulling in some ajax onload and then after that ajax comes back, adding the facebook section.

On thread pages, this is causing the search box to move from the left side of the screen to the right side (right above the 'first unread post' link), which pushes all the right side links down a line.

Thanks
Paul

Skinny Vinny

Post by Skinny Vinny »

Yes, almost all these third party js features use ajax. That's not my js: it's facebooks. I don't really think that's the issue you're seeing though: it sounds to me like css and can be handled in the templates. i noticed some page dancing and wrapped it with a div container with the height defined: it stopped the dancing.

This is just making up the opengraph meta data and like buttons that can be used however you like in the template. Different styles/templates will use them differently.

If you're using the fb connect hook and only wanted to show it to fb connected users, you could wrap it with

Code: Select all

<!-- IF SVMODS_FACEBOOK_UID -->(template button value)<!-- ENDIF -->
I don't recommed it, though. Every guest/user that may click on one is a viral seed: this kills off much of the real value of having them.

Stitch625

Post by Stitch625 »

I have had this mod running on my live site for 3 weeks now and it works beautifully. As long as it works with IE and Firefox that is all I care about. 98% of users that come to my site use either browser. Nice job on this mod.

Znatok Ne

Post by Znatok Ne »

A few days ago, in IE8 "Facebook button" began to look strange:

In Mozilla and Firefox all looks good:

why?

Stitch625

Post by Stitch625 »

Yea..Mine is the same way in IE but FF looks correct. WTH????

Encore204

Post by Encore204 »

did anyone tried installing this on subsilver 2?

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”