[ABD]Mass Moderation in phpBB (rate post & topic, usr karma)

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Iceman85

[ABD]Mass Moderation in phpBB (rate post & topic, usr karma)

Post by Iceman85 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:00 pm

Modification Name: Mass Moderation in phpBB

Author: Iceman85
Project developed by Giacomo Piseddu and Dr. Massimo Bartoletti, in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the bachelor's degree in Computer Science at the University of Cagliari (Italy), under the supervision of Dr. Massimo Bartoletti.

Installation type: AUTOMOD

phpBB compatible Versions: phpBB 3.0.9 (3.0.8 with one code line modification on install_mod.xml)

Compatible Styles: proSilver

Modification Version: 1.0.0-dev

Modification Download: DOWNLOAD! (TRY IT ON A TEST BOARD!!!!)

Modification Description:
This MOD introduces Mass Moderation (MM) in phpBB, making its moderation mechanism similar to Slashdot.

Mass Moderation in phpBB is a new moderation policy for online boards and, in this specific case, for phpBB 3 boards. Currently, like most of the online forums, a phpBB board is moderated by a group of users, called “moderators”, that have the task of monitoring the correct activity of the board. However, there are online boards with several thousands of users and posts, where the moderation activity can require a considerable effort, and where the moderators could be outnumbered.
Moreover, into large online boards, just some posts and topics are noteworthy and contain good information. For this reason, users could spend a lot of time to find the information they are looking for.
In this scenario, Mass moderation’s policy aims to remedy these situations. Through some mechanisms, we want to eliminate moderators, the moderators activity, and classify forums information, that is posts and topics.

In this way, all the moderation duties are fulfilled by GOOD USERS: traditional moderators are no longer needed. When Mass Moderation is on, all registered users can participate in the moderation, by RATING TOPIC AND POSTS.
To RATE A POST, a user can choose one from some POST LABELS (i.e. informative, interesting, funny, off-topic, flamebait, spam, ecc). A good adjective makes the POST SCORE increase, while a bad adjective makes it decrease. The post score ranges from -1 to 5.
To RATE A TOPIC, a user can do it through a five star rating system (Horrible, Poor, Nice, Good, Excellent).

Mass Moderation system tracks your activity on the board. The quality of a user activity is measured through an index, called KARMA. User’s Karma depends on the scores assigned to her posts. A positive Karma indicates a good user activity, while a negative Karma indicates a bad activity. Topic ratings do not affect a user Karma.

But not all users can be participate to the Mass Moderation. Every time slot, the system calculates the Karma of each user, and assigns a number of MODERATION TOKENS to a set of users, randomly selected among those with highest Karma. Rating one post costs one token. Rating one topic does not cost any token, but you need to have at least one.
When a user can rate posts and topics, that is when he has at least one token, he becomes a MASS MODERATOR.

Each user can set a view threshold for posts in her control panel. If you set the threshold to n, you will be shown only those posts with score greater or equal to n. The other posts will be displayed in abbreviated form.

The forum administrator can fine-tune the mass moderation mechanism, by setting a number of parameters in the ACP (e.g. enable/disable MM, length of the time slot, number of tokens assigned in each time slot, etc.).
Also, Mass Moderation system implement some mechanisms that replace the traditional moderator’s actions. These mechanisms are called: Mass Moderation Move Topic, Mass Moderation Report Topic and Mass Moderation Auto Ban.

Requirements:
In order to properly run Mass Moderation, the forum Admin should ensure that:
  • users cannot modify or delete posts (users must think before posting!)
  • users cannot report posts
  • no moderators have been appointed (suggested) or, at least, moderators cannot modify or delete posts
  • the posting flood time is set to 60 seconds (suggested)
Features:
  • General
  • Enable/Disable Mass Moderation throughout the board
  • Enable/Disable Mass Moderation on a single forum
  • Forum Permission: user can edit topic's first post (yes/no/never)
  • Topics rating mechanism and classification
  • Each topic can be rated and it’s characterized by a score (TOPIC SCORE) that range between 1 and 5 (integer values). Topic score = ratings_sum / ratings_count * f
  • Rating system: five star (Horrible, poor, nice, good, excellent)
  • JS enabled: rating with AJAX (jQuery) technology (no page refresh). JS disabled: page refresh.
  • Topic rating require one Moderation Token.
  • A user cannot rate its own topics.
  • A user can see his rating for a determinate topic and he can change it.
  • Posts rating mechanism and classification:
  • Each post can be rated and it’s characterized by a score (POST SCORE) that range between -1 and 1(float values) and a POST LABEL (it’s an adjective).
  • Rating system: user can rate choosing one of some POST LABELS (Informative/Useful, Interesting, Insightful, Funny, OffTopic, Redundant, Flamebait, Abuse/Spam). Good label make a post score increment: bad label make a post score decrement.
  • JS enabled: rating with AJAX (jQuery) technology (no page refresh). JS disabled: page refresh.
  • Post score displayed by users range between -2 and 5 (integer values).
  • Post rating require one Moderation Token
  • A user cannot rate its own posts.
  • A user cannot rate posts that are into its topics.
  • A user can rate a post only once.
  • A user can see his rating for a determinate post, but he cannot change it.
  • Topics list displaying
  • Topics list can be ordered by topic score (asc or desc)
  • Posts list displaying
  • Each user can set a view threshold for posts in her UCP. If you set the threshold to n, you will be shown only those posts with score greater or equal to n. The other posts will be displayed in abbreviated form (only post’s first row is shown).
  • User can show manually (by clicking circular top left item) each post that appear in abbreviated form, that is with score less than view threshold set from UCP. Also, a user can hide manually a post. Show-hide post use jQuery.
  • The first post of a topic is always fully displayed.
  • User Karma system:
  • Mass moderation tracks the activity of each user. Karma is an index that indicate good (positive Karma) or bad (Negative karma) user’s activity on the board. For a user’s karma calculation, the system considers the quality of posts and topics started by that user.
  • Moderation Tokens assignment:
  • Not all users can be participate to the Mass Moderation. Every time slot, the system calculates the Karma of each user, and assigns a number of Moderation Tokens to a pool of users, randomly selected among those with highest Karma.
  • The probability you receive some tokens is proportional to your karma value.
  • TODO: Mass Moderation Move Topic:
  • instead of rate a topic, a user can think that the topic appears into a wrong forum. In this case, the user (if he’s a Mass Moderator!) can choose the appopriate forum for that topic.
  • Require one token.
  • Topic’s author cannot use Mass Moderation Move Topic on its topics.
  • A topic can be moved just n times (decided by admin).
  • TODO: Mass Moderation Report Topic:
  • Instead of rate a topic, a user can think that the topic appears as an abuse/spam or duplicate. In this case, the user (if he’s a Mass Moderator!) can report the topic as a ABUSE/SPAM or DUPLICATE.
  • After n reports, the topic will be automatically locked.
  • TODO: Mass Moderation Auto Ban:
  • Users with karma under -x (i.e. -30) will be banned for n days. accordingly, users with karma under -2x will be banned for 2n days.
  • After y ban, user could be banned permanently
  • Mass Moderation slide in ACP for Mass Moderation settings, including:
  • Enable/Disable Mass Moderation
  • Number of tokens to be assigned
  • Number of tokens per user (when user is selected for tokens assignment)
  • Tokens assignment frequency (in hours)
  • Karma calculation frequency (in hours)
  • Tokens expiry time (in days)
  • TODO: Maximum post age for Karma calculation (for karma calculation, the system does not consider post older than maximum post age) (in days)
  • Mass Moderation slide in ACP for Mass Moderation statistics
  • Mass Moderation slide in UCP for users settings, including:
  • User can decide whether partecipating or not in the Mass Moderation
  • User can set view threshold for posts
  • User can decide whether displaying or not posts not yet rated;
  • Users can view their Karma and number of available tokens on their UCP or while they viewing topics.
I hope I didn't forget anything!!!

TODO:
  • User can give viewing priority to posts that are classified by a particular POST LABEL
Languages: English, Italian

Screenshots:

Demo URL:COMING SOON!

Demo USERNAME:

Demo PASSWORD:
Last edited by Iceman85 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:06 pm, edited 34 times in total.
********************************************************************************************
Mass Moderation MOD in phpBB (posts and topics rating; tokens and users karma; and more...)
*******************************************************************************************

Ozo

Re: [DEV]Mass Moderation in phpBB

Post by Ozo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:24 pm

Absolutely brilliant. topic bookmarked!

Avdon
Name: Danny Alkhaldy

Post by Avdon » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:34 pm

It's really a great mod. I feel excited regardless of the fact it's still in DEV-Stage :) . But :
Actually, all the standard privileges of moderators (e.g. moving, editing, deleting posts, etc.) are disabled when MM is turned on.
no moderators have been appointed
Why?! why not leaving this as a choice for the administrator? Maybe the administrator wants to use Mass Moderation and the traditional moderation (moderators) together, at least I know I do and I have good reasons for that.

Thanks

Iceman85

Post by Iceman85 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:00 pm

Ozo wrote:Absolutely brilliant. topic bookmarked!
Thank for first feedback!!!
Avdon wrote: It's really a great mod. I feel excited regardless of the fact it's still in DEV-Stage :) . But :

"Actually, all the standard privileges of moderators (e.g. moving, editing, deleting posts, etc.) are disabled when MM is turned on.

no moderators have been appointed"

Why?! why not leaving this as a choice for the administrator? Maybe the administrator wants to use Mass Moderation and the traditional moderation (moderators) together, at least I know I do and I have good reasons for that.

Thanks
Sorry, I didn't explain myself well. I didn't modify permissions for moderators; it's only recommended to don't appoint any moderator. But, if an administrator want to appoint moderators, it's strongly recommended to revoke edit an delete (especially!) permissions for moderators. So, at moment, if admin want to appoint moderators, he can do it!!!

Thanks for your clarification and sorry for my bad english!! :|
********************************************************************************************
Mass Moderation MOD in phpBB (posts and topics rating; tokens and users karma; and more...)
*******************************************************************************************

darkonia

Post by darkonia » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:02 pm

sounds amazing, bookmarked and subscribed :ugeek:
MMOG-Heaven - Das Gaming Portal
Community bedeutet Gleichgesinnte finden - MMOG-Heaven ist Deine Community! Von Spielern für Spieler bietet Dir dieses Portal genau das, was ein Spieler braucht. Bleibe ständig informiert, finde die neuesten MMORPGs, oder suche die frischesten News aus der Welt des Online Gamings - dieses und vieles mehr erwartet Dich auf MMOG-Heaven.

artikkk

Re: [DEV] Mass Moderation in phpBB

Post by artikkk » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:48 pm

ottima mod :)
sorry for my bad english :S

Hangly Man

Post by Hangly Man » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:11 am

When can I try it? :D

Iceman85

Post by Iceman85 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:04 am

Hi Hangly Man, I'm fixing last little bugs on my localhost. Actually, you can try demo version here
http://www.hswpc.it/phpbb with
USERNAME: guest_user
PASSWORD: 123456

When bugs will be fixed (today I hope!), I will create another user with admin permissions, to see and try Mass Moderation on ACP, and I will post code.

Thanks and stay tuned!!

Hangly Man

Post by Hangly Man » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:32 pm

Iceman85 wrote:Hi Hangly Man, I'm fixing last little bugs on my localhost. Actually, you can try demo version here
http://www.hswpc.it/phpbb with
USERNAME: guest_user
PASSWORD: 123456

When bugs will be fixed (today I hope!), I will create another user with admin permissions, to see and try Mass Moderation on ACP, and I will post code.

Thanks and stay tuned!!
I did try it, I think it's fabulous :ugeek:

Iceman85

Post by Iceman85 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:14 pm

A few more days and I will upload Mass Moderation Mod for installing with AUTOMOD. I'm working for it and for my bachelor's degree.
The first release will be an ALPHA release with basic features, simply to give an idea of this project. I will introduce more features on next versions and, eventually, I will change other features.
A little patience for ALPHA version, and thanks to everyone!! :D

Iceman85

Post by Iceman85 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:33 pm

After a long wait, the first dev release is now available for download! Try and install it with AUTOMOD! :D
LINK REMOVED
Last edited by Iceman85 on Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pbrouwers

Re: [DEV]Mass Moderation in phpBB (0.1.0-dev) TRY IT!

Post by pbrouwers » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:37 pm

Hello Iceman

This is the mod I've been waiting for! Amazing! I like the post/topic-rating connection with the user karma. But I don't really like the token system. I'm not saying you should delete it, but you should let the administrator choose if he wants to use it or not. Also you should add a couple toplists next to "View unanswered posts • View unread posts" e.o. I really would like to see a "highest rank topic" "highest rank post" and "highest user karma" toplist. Also I would like to see the user karma in the memberlist_view (user profile) and in the view topic at every user his/her karma-level (underneath username and avatar). At last I would be awesome if there was a toplist of user's karma on the index_body under the who is online and the birthdays.

Please let me know if you are going to do something with any of this. Otherwise it would be necessary to wait, then it's just a waste of time for me, because I don't want the token system and I'm not good enough to delete it myself. Though I can translate the mod for you in Dutch if you like.

Kind regards Patrick

Iceman85

Post by Iceman85 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:29 pm

Hi Patrick,
thanks for your good ideas. At the moment, admin can't enable/disable tokens system: it's enabled by defaut. But I can introduce a setting that allow admin to enable/disable tokens system. So, if tokens system is disabled, only users with positive or null karma can rate posts and topics. Users with negative karma could be spammers, trolls, ecc and they are not allowed to rate because they could bypass rating system.
Also the karma level viewing among users can be decided by administrators.
Furthermore, I can add reports as "highest rank topic", "highest rank post" and "highest user karma" toplist without problems.

I just put these ideas into TODO list. Now I have to rearrange some features: I promise you that first beta (or alpha) version will have features that you suggested to me!

Thanks a lot and stay tuned on this topic!
PS: sorry for my bad english :oops:
Last edited by Iceman85 on Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

pbrouwers

Post by pbrouwers » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:50 pm

You're amazing dude! Thank you very much!
Are you going to add support to subsilver2 themes?

Iceman85

Post by Iceman85 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:45 pm

pbrouwers wrote:You're amazing dude! Thank you very much!
Are you going to add support to subsilver2 themes?
OK! I will try to do it! ;)

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”