[ABD] phpBB spam hammer

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Philthy

Re: [DEV] phpBB spam hammer

Post by Philthy »

I will set up another vanilla board and play around using modx when I get chance. Going to be busy all week though.
Go on ! it's not as steep as it looks.....
Sanity Check

Post by Sanity Check »

Philthy wrote:
Sanity Check wrote: I'm using PHPBB 3.0.8. I had to fix the strings in posting.php and board.php before AutoMOD could successfully modify those files.
Wow it worked with automod !
How did you fix the strings, maybe I can correct the install file?

Good luck with the mod,let us know how you get on.
It wasn't difficult. The errors were all text-strings with slight variations in them, mostly from differences in spacing within the code. I examined the errors on first attempt at install, identified the lines in the board files where it failed with the search-and-replace, then copied-and-pasted the correct, exact strings from the various files into install_mod.xml.

As for the mod...after just a few days running with it, not a single spam bot has gotten through! I even turned off the captcha control on the board, since most members of the church in question get confused by it anyway. After all, why should we make it hard for users when bots have no problem getting past that barrier?
Thrifty Ymail

Post by Thrifty Ymail »

Thanks guys for all your hard work..im just about to install this mod on our board..we have seen an increase in the number of russian and chinese spams...it is hard to tell the good from the bad but im sure your mod will help..im hoping any way...it looks great..if i get any problems ill be back (arnold) but im sure you guys have it sorted..im a bit of a novice so if i give you feed back ts coz i didnt understand it well..it seems straight forward though.do you know if there is a mod to force a new user to post an introduction to a board before they can continue to post like in v bulitin?

great work again..im hoping it works a treat..cheers :ugeek:
dangerousprototypes

Post by dangerousprototypes »

Thanks Thrifty,

I guess development on this mod has slowed down because we're all happily spam free.

My latest update:
*No spam since installing the mod
*I disabled the bad words filter because everything else works so well it just caused problems for legit users

I am still running extreme mode:
*80% of spam registrations are deleted for profile or signature abuse. A real user has never been deleted (according to the logs, all URLs are spam URL)
*1 or 2 accounts deleted per day for post abuse (too many URLs, russian characters in first post), these are probably the few that don't get caught in the profile and signature honeypot
*2-3% of legit new users encounter the filter, but all seem to deal with it

If it is just a case of whitespace errors, I'll install a new phpBB, update the MOD, and try to get it working with automod. It seems to be working well for everyone (any complaints or uninstalls?), so we should probably try to move to a RC and official mod. Thanks again to everyone for your help.
Please do not PM or mail with questions. Ask in the forum where everyone can share the answer.
mercury00

Post by mercury00 »

Sorry for being so dumb, but I have a question on this mod with automod. I installed it (after fixing the whitespace errors noted above with the automod install), but when I click on the 'details' button in the acp, I get an error message :

Cannot locate File: ./../store/mods/disable_links_words_spam_0.0.2/http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Php ... _new_users

Also, I couldn't post messages on the forum just after install because I got an error message from posting.php line 666 (the functions_link_filter.php file didn't exist in ./includes, instead it was in a folder called /root/includes) This was easy to fix (copy the file manually to includes) , but my bigger problem is the bad file name above (the file name with the http address attached on the end).

I'd really, really appreciate some help fixing the bad 'details' link. The details link itself is :

http://www.(somedomain).com/forums/adm/index.php?i=mods&sid=07dbebd609afb3bc958242b346ccf9ee&mode=frontend&action=details&mod_id=1

At the moment I'm not sure the thing's working, really.
Philthy

Post by Philthy »

Where is the "details" button in the ACP ? :?
dangerousprototypes

I would guess there was a problem with automod, maybe the line endings got chopped in the .php file. I would remove it ASAP as it is probably not working and might open you to vulnerabilities.

The only place that link occurs is here:

Code: Select all

//leave blank to no use this features
        private $help_url = 'http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1846&p=17886#p17886';
That just sets a variable with a default values. If it is being included in a way that generates that message there is probably something wrong. Can you attach your functions_link_filter.php to a post so I can look it over.
Please do not PM or mail with questions. Ask in the forum where everyone can share the answer.
heredia21

Post by heredia21 »

After several weeks of testing this mod it is hands down the most efficient anti spam mod out. Gets the job done.
Best BlackBerry website for all users! BlackBerry News - http://blackberryempire.com
aaronrc
Name: Aaron Clauson

Post by aaronrc »

Philthy wrote:Wow it worked with automod !
How did you fix the strings, maybe I can correct the install file?
The fixes I had to apply to get the automod to work were to replace the contents of the following find nodes in:

- <open src="cron.php">
- <open src="posting.php">
- <open src="/language/en/acp/board.php">

The problem was the find nodes were using spaces instead of tabs. The way I ended up doing it was to copy the snippet from the original file (cron.php, posting.php etc.) and post it into the respective find node in install_mod.xml.
mercury00

Post by mercury00 »

dangerousprototypes wrote:I would guess there was a problem with automod, maybe the line endings got chopped in the .php file. I would remove it ASAP as it is probably not working and might open you to vulnerabilities.

The only place that link occurs is here:

Code: Select all

//leave blank to no use this features
        private $help_url = 'http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1846&p=17886#p17886';
That just sets a variable with a default values. If it is being included in a way that generates that message there is probably something wrong. Can you attach your functions_link_filter.php to a post so I can look it over.
Ok, I'll grab it next time I'm on the server. I needed the site up and running so I opened every file in the mod and search replaced the text (the http link) with null, and when it installed the details link works now (or seems to anyway). The install reports 'success' anyway (oh, the uninstall didn't though, it gave ugly errors about the mysql db - it was trying to remove a dozen fields it created but the names were null so it got errors trying to remove '' from the tables. In order to reinstall I had to manually delete the fields, then it worked).

If it helps this is a linux box. Oh, using phpbb3 3.08 and the very latest automod (the day of my post).
Philthy

Post by Philthy »

heredia21 wrote:After several weeks of testing this mod it is hands down the most efficient anti spam mod out. Gets the job done.
Nice one !
Do you get any spam at all now?
I've not had any for months.
dangerousprototypes

Spent some time cleaning up automod. Now installs and uninstalls cleanly (file stuff anyways) on automod (latest version tested).

Link to 0.0.3 is update on the first post. If it works for people I'll try to get it approved:
http://dangerousprototypes.com/files/di ... _0.0.3.zip

*Cleaned up spacing errors (tabs were deleted by the wiki)
*fixed copy to from locations for class
Cannot locate File: ./../store/mods/disable_links_words_spam_0.0.2/http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Php ... _new_users
*Fixed, this was a problem with link-group tag in automod (removed it). Now details appear ok in automod.
*Error on first control panel settings submit seems to be gone, but it could just be this clean install

Other issues:
SQL ERRORS ON UNINSTALL
*Several empty SQL errors on uninstall.
I googled but didnt see how to fix it from automod.
You can:
1. Force uninstall anyways, it will just leave the settings in the database and they will be ignored.
2. Force uninstall and then go to phpmysql, etc, and delete the entries.

SQL ERRORS ON RE-INSTALL
*Duplicate entry errors on re-install
Related to above error: the entries are still in the settings database.
You can:
1. Force the install, your previous settings will be restored.
dangerousprototypes

I moved this to release candidate and posted a new thread here:
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... #p12984120

Please post any more replies there.

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”