[ABD] Membership Management with Paypal IPN

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
the pips

Re: [Dev] Membership Application and Management

Post by the pips »

Just to try and keep everyone up to speed on this. We had a club committee meeting and they're happy with the approach I'm taking. As a result I've now got to get it up and running :lol: Could this be a first? A membership and payment system that gets released? I, for one, hope so.

I'm really pleased with the way the membership management module is working so I'm concentrating on the payment side. I've decided to use a combination of Paypal Express Checkout and IPN as I think this gives the best user experience. I've written the basic class and I can now call Paypal and make the payment request. I'm beginning to think the payment portal has merit as a standalone mod so I'm keeping it in mind as I'm developing the membership management. I've also been looking at Google Checkout and I think the same basic structure could work there as well. Are there any other really popular payment portals?

Still to do.
IPN monitoring
Cron removal of unpaid members.

I'm going away for a few days (probably won't stop me thinking about this :lol: ) but I'll be back onto it next weekend.

Regards
Doug
Boardtalk.net
Name: Colette

Post by Boardtalk.net »

Great work Doug, Thanks ;)
Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias »

Why ask the car number and why publish the information?
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|
Boardtalk.net

Post by Boardtalk.net »

Doug,
Do you have a download ready yet so we can be testing it out for you? I would be interested to see how its looking to date.
Thanks,
;)
the pips

Post by the pips »

EY wrote:Why ask the car number and why publish the information?
Hi,
I'm developing this for the American RV Club where the number plate is included in the printed member list, it helps our members if they happen to meet at a camping ground.

I suspect you're referring specifically to the membership application forum? I've deliberately set the permissions so it's viewable by anyone. On a live site you'd restrict it to the membership officer.

I've designed this mod to use the custom profile fields. Any cpf prefixed with ms_ will be included in the application form so you'll be able to add or remove fields to suit yourself.

Regards
Doug
the pips

Post by the pips »

Boardtalk.net wrote:Doug,
Do you have a download ready yet so we can be testing it out for you? I would be interested to see how its looking to date.
Thanks,
;)
I'm certainly not far off being able to make a download available, maybe even this weekend :D

Just bear in mind that It's still pretty rough around the edges!

Regards
Doug
Boardtalk.net

Post by Boardtalk.net »

If you got the download working this weekend I’d be delighted and understand that you‘ve a lot yet to do. I’ve a little site where a mod like yours would be ideal.

Thanks,
;)
jbarrouk

Post by jbarrouk »

Hi Doug,

This is great. I truly hope that you succeed with this mod, where many others have tried and failed. I have a couple questions for you.

First: will this work so that a member would be able to apply to more than one group? So what I mean is group A is $10 per year and group b is $15 dollars per year.

Second: Is this something that can be incorporated in the registration page?

all the best,
Joe
the pips

Post by the pips »

jbarrouk wrote:Hi Doug,

This is great. I truly hope that you succeed with this mod, where many others have tried and failed. I have a couple questions for you.

First: will this work so that a member would be able to apply to more than one group? So what I mean is group A is $10 per year and group b is $15 dollars per year.

Second: Is this something that can be incorporated in the registration page?

all the best,
Joe
Hi Joe,
For the first version I'm only going to code for a single group. Once I've got a stable release I'll consider how to expand it into multiple groups.
I've not thought about how to integrate this mod into the registration but I will do now! Thanks for the suggestion.

Regards
Doug
Stickygreen

Post by Stickygreen »

Really looking forward to this. Would totally automate this part for me.
jbarrouk

Post by jbarrouk »

Thanks Doug for your reply. That sounds great.

all the best,
Joe
the pips

Post by the pips »

Another update.
I'm continuing to make progress.
Notable achievements include:-
  • Paypal Express Checkout
  • Processing one-off charges
  • Setting a recurring payment profile.
I'm chuffed to bits with the routine so far as I think it's going to be extremely easy to add in other payment portals.

Regards
Doug
benbejay

Post by benbejay »

Bookmarked. Looking forward to this. :D
phpBB.com Translator. Currently maintaining the en-AU (Australian English) Language Pack.
My MODs [DEV] Quick Mod Tools Buttons | [DEV] Show User Post Count on Index
trace1

Post by trace1 »

Doug.

Looking forward to this mod. This is great.

Do you have a way to automate the membership renewal process like emailing the member to remind them their membership will expire and provide a link to login to the website to renew/pay for the membership?

When you mentioned "Processing one-off charges" is that a dollar amount that you set on their profile to charge the member so when they go to make a payment that amount is set or is that something that the member manually enters?

Setting a recurring payment profile - does this continually ask the member to pay or does it automatically make a payment?

How's the timing looking on making this available?

Thanks.
Trace
the pips

Post by the pips »

Hi Trace,
Thanks for the interest. I'm making good progress although my code is very scruffy at the moment.

Over the weekend I finished the cron routine. Members that are still outstanding after a ACP configured grace period are removed from the subscription group. And I've made good progress on the Paypal IPN to get it communicating successfully. All I've got to do now is finish the call to add the member into the group.

User notification is currently handled by a notice on the index but now I've got cron working I can add the email as well. My plan is again for a ACP configurable notification periods.

Users can either pay for a single subscription period or set up a recurring payment. The latter is completely automatic, on the renewal date Paypal transfers the funds and sends a notification. The listener checks it for validity and updates the expiry date. (ive still got this bit to write).

I'd like to get something available for download over the weekend.

Regards
Doug

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”