[ABD] Mail Gateway

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Elric Pedder

[ABD] Mail Gateway

Post by Elric Pedder » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:47 pm

Modification Name:Mail Gateway
Author: Elric Pedder

Modification Description:A Mail Gateway that can be used primarily to connect forums with mailing lists.
Modification Version:0.0.3

Features: Feature List.
  • Collect mail by drop-path or POP3
  • Convert plain-text to BBCode. Handles simple formatting, links, quotes and code blocks and can strip out text from complex MIME messages.
  • Convert BBCode to plain-text
  • Optionally create new users based on e-mail address matching (random passwords assigned)
  • Handles threading/topic assignment based on message-id and References: header field
Screenshots: Image

Modification Download:http://community.mailtraq.com/mail-gateway-0-0-3.zip or visit This page

I know a similar module exists: Mail2forum but it appears abandoned and I needed to get this working quite quickly.

Tips for configuring the cron job on Windows

Version History:

Version 0.0.3
  • Remove list identifiers in brackets in the subject line
  • Added support for HTML messages
  • Changed Unicode handling to support more character sets
Version 0.0.2
  • Added support for Subject based threading
  • Improved Locale handling and conversion to UTF-8
  • Six hyphens now also denote start of excluded text to clean top-quoting
  • Fixed bug in identifying base64 encoded message bodies
Version 0.0.1
  • Initial release
Last edited by Elric Pedder on Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

keith10456

Re: [ALPHA] Mail Gateway

Post by keith10456 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:38 am

I'm a bit confused as to what this mod does :?

darkonia

Post by darkonia » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:32 am

keith10456 wrote:I'm a bit confused as to what this mod does :?
i think this mod catch mails per pop3 from a mail-acc and post it to a defined forum...
MMOG-Heaven - Das Gaming Portal
Community bedeutet Gleichgesinnte finden - MMOG-Heaven ist Deine Community! Von Spielern für Spieler bietet Dir dieses Portal genau das, was ein Spieler braucht. Bleibe ständig informiert, finde die neuesten MMORPGs, oder suche die frischesten News aus der Welt des Online Gamings - dieses und vieles mehr erwartet Dich auf MMOG-Heaven.

Elric Pedder

Post by Elric Pedder » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:24 pm

This mod takes e-mails stored in a POP3 mailbox or a drop-folder and posts them to the specified forum. New messages posted to the specified forum can also be sent as e-mails to the given e-mail address.

Imagine now that you have a mailing list and you want to provide a forum to post and search messages. You add a new subscriber with an e-mail address that goes to, say, a POP3 mailbox. This gateway can be used to fetch messages from that mailbox and distribute to the forum and post replies back to the mailing list. Topics are created in the forum to match the threads and conversion to and from plain-text formatting is handled.

You can also use the gateway to simply allow users to send via e-mail to get posts into the forum, which is particularly useful for users with mobile devices that have e-mail but no have web access (such as Blackberrys on BES).

I'm considering adding support for directly sending messages to forum members and limiting posting permission to members of the forum but those aren't currently required by my project.

4_seven
I've Been Banned!

Post by 4_seven » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:39 pm

Genius work. Keep it up..
Current Mods | Mod Base | php(BB) programming | No help via PM

keith10456

Post by keith10456 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:27 pm

Awesome! I definitely look forward to further development of the mod 8-)

Elric Pedder

Post by Elric Pedder » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:25 pm

Thanks for all your support! I've written some tips on setting up the cron job for Windows here.

Elric Pedder

Post by Elric Pedder » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:24 pm

Updated to version 0.0.2 with minor corrections and support for replies from Blackberry devices.

clutzer

Post by clutzer » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:15 am

Elric, would you say that this is functionally equivalent to what phpbb2 and m2f (mail2forum) provided? Obviously there has been a hole in the community since the m2f developers abandoned v2 of m2f. If you've filled this hole with a functionally equivalent mod, than I thank you.

Please let me know, as I'm helping out with a forum that I find extremely useful and they wish to upgrade to phpbb3. I *really* do not want to port m2f v1.2 forward to work with phpbb3 if others have already gotten something working :geek:

Thanks Elric!

Elric Pedder

Post by Elric Pedder » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:42 pm

clutzer wrote:Elric, would you say that this is functionally equivalent to what phpbb2 and m2f (mail2forum) provided?
Pretty much, as far as I'm aware. I haven't look at mail2forum in a long time (and managed to use it myself) so this mod isn't based on it but rather aims to do a similar job.

I use it to join a mailing list and a phpbb3 forum so that you can be a member of either (or ideally both). If that is what you are after then it should work well. If you just want a way for people to post to a forum via e-mail, then it will do that too.

Although there hasn't been much apparent activity I use it myself and will gladly help you if you run into problems.

Thanks for the support.

clutzer

Post by clutzer » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:27 am

Elric, I'm new to php mods: how do you install this kit once downloaded? I see there is a file called install.xml which I opened in firefox and it rendered nicely, but it doesn't seem to provide clear directions for a noob to follow ha ha. So, how does one install this?

Thanks!

clutzer

Post by clutzer » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:15 am

Elric, since I cannot PM until 5 posts, I'm forced to post questions here =).

I basically followed the steps in install.xml (applied the SQL changes, applied the source file changes), but I cannot seem to find the Mail Gateway settings in the UI. Where in the UI do I need to navigate to activate this mod?

I have been through the UI several times, been through forums that I've created in the ACP, etc. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

C.

Elric Pedder

Post by Elric Pedder » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:50 pm

I've completed an update to provide HTML support and handling list identifiers in subject lines (stripping out the list name in square brackets for subject matching and thread creation).

Version 0.0.3
  • Remove list identifiers in brackets in the subject line
  • Added support for HTML messages
  • Changed Unicode handling to support more character sets

kas5986
Name: syed shafiq

Post by kas5986 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:19 pm

wow great mod :-)

MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Michael Cullum

Post by MichaelC » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:37 pm

I like the look of this. Bookmarked.
:)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss.
Formerly Website Team Lead/Manager & Development Team.
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”