[ABD] Forum Categories in Tabs

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
keith10456

Re: [BETA] Forum Categories in Tabs

Post by keith10456 »

Great idea and mod! I really like it. If you didn't add this as an RFC on Area51 already I think you should ;)

Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx »

Boardtalk.net wrote:sorry no, it needs someone good with AJAX/Javascript and PHP and that's beyond me at the moment.
:(
\
Lets stay focused on the original idea and maybe figure out a way to customize those images that are being called in the JS. :) There is really nothing wrong with the tabs other then the 2003 feel/look of it.

Boardtalk.net
Name: Colette

Post by Boardtalk.net »

keith10456 wrote:Great idea and mod! I really like it. If you didn't add this as an RFC on Area51 already I think you should ;)
Thanks Keith, I didn't think of adding it. It would be a nice option all right.
Peter77sx wrote:Lets stay focused on the original idea and maybe figure out a way to customize those images that are being called in the JS. :) There is really nothing wrong with the tabs other then the 2003 feel/look of it.
Yep, it needs to be brought into the current decade. I need to spend time with it again and would be interested in what others could do too. ;)

_mayhem_
Name: Unsal ASLANBAS

Post by _mayhem_ »

Fine mode. Single category in the forum that you trouble when you add sub-forum. When you enter from the bottom of the tabs forum, a forum that does not work.

http://www.ayazaganet.com/viewforum.php?f=27
http://uabnet.com ==)) Turkish Board.

Boardtalk.net

Post by Boardtalk.net »

Boardtalk.net wrote: Know Issues/limitations :
2.) Forum breadcrumbs need fixing for when a user enters any Category list (not a forum list) need help/ideas with this
Hi _mayhem_ ,
This is a known issue, tabs will display but not work when user clicks on the Category name from either the breadcrumbs or on the Category name.
We will have to find a way to hid the remaining tabs when a user is in these areas.
Thanks,
Boardtalk

Boardtalk.net

Post by Boardtalk.net »

Okay folks... I have it figured out :D :D

The demo does not look pretty but that's okay for now, it's the functionality we were looking to get working first.
We are using jQuery and not the original script as mentioned in the fist post, this makes the licencing a non-issue. :D :D

I've a number of things to tweak later tonight before posting up the instructions.

;)

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Upon selecting a respective Board (after clicking one of the tabs), the Tabs disappear. Maybe it would be better if they didn't (the Tabs stayed). Doing so would maintain the simple navigation.

After clicking around on the demo I found myself wishing the Tabs were still available regardless where I was in the Forum.

But then again, the breadcrumbs are there...

Your thoughts?

Jessica
Former Team Member
Name: Jessica

Post by Jessica »

Boardtalk.net wrote:Okay folks... I have it figured out :D :D

The demo does not look pretty but that's okay for now, it's the functionality we were looking to get working first.
We are using jQuery and not the original script as mentioned in the fist post, this makes the licencing a non-issue. :D :D

I've a number of things to tweak later tonight before posting up the instructions.

;)
apart from the fact that when you select a category it doesn't look "selected" when a category is clicked (and it refreshes), it looks awesome so far!
Pro-choice, Atheist, Pro-LGBT rights
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

Boardtalk.net

Post by Boardtalk.net »

keith10456 wrote:Upon selecting a respective Board (after clicking one of the tabs), the Tabs disappear. Maybe it would be better if they didn't (the Tabs stayed). Doing so would maintain the simple navigation.

After clicking around on the demo I found myself wishing the Tabs were still available regardless where I was in the Forum.

But then again, the breadcrumbs are there...

Your thoughts?
Yes, I see what you are saying. When we go into a 'forum' as apposed to the Category the tabs are not displaying. Humm, interesting idea... might come back to it.
Jessica wrote: apart from the fact that when you select a category it doesn't look "selected" when a category is clicked (and it refreshes), it looks awesome so far!
Yep, that's what I'm working on now :D

A little update:
For the moment I've put jQuery aside as the forum software already has tabs in the UCP so am working off this to see how far it will bring us. Its looking more of a snippet than a mod at the moment :?

darocker077
Name: darocker 077

Post by darocker077 »

That last demo was fine & it also needs to be something like you've shown in the first post. without refreshing or loading it needs to navigate, then it will be an awesome one. Btw, congratz on what you're trying to do there ;)
..:: RoCkInG dUdE ::..
:: MBCS | MCP | MCTS | MCSA
:: GeekLK - Tech in Simplified English

Dakin Quelia
Name: Daniel Chalsèche

Post by Dakin Quelia »

To activate tab, try this method.

In Includes/functions.php add this line:

Code: Select all

'S_MENU_ACTIVE'                => ($user->page['page_name'] == 'vewforum.php' && $_SERVER['QUERY_STRING'] == 'f=' . $forum_id) ? true : false, 
And template file:

<span <!-- IF S_MENU_ACTIVE -->class="activetab"<!-- ENDIF -->> </span>
;)

Boardtalk.net

Post by Boardtalk.net »

darocker077 wrote:That last demo was fine & it also needs to be something like you've shown in the first post. without refreshing or loading it needs to navigate, then it will be an awesome one. Btw, congratz on what you're trying to do there ;)
Thanks, am still working on it ;)
Dakin Quelia wrote:To activate tab, try this method.

In Includes/functions.php add this line:

'S_MENU_ACTIVE'                => ($user->page['page_name'] == 'vewforum.php' && $_SERVER['QUERY_STRING'] == 'f=' . $forum_id) ? true : false,  
And template file:

<span <!-- IF S_MENU_ACTIVE -->class="activetab"<!-- ENDIF -->> </span>
;)
Big thanks for the help, I was trying to get the If Statement to work, that code looks like what I need.. :D I gave it a go but will need to spend more time on it tomorrow.. time for sleep now ;)

Dakin Quelia
Name: Daniel Chalsèche

Post by Dakin Quelia »

I suggest you to modify the display_forums() function or to make index.php?c=x instead of viewforum.php?f=x. ;)

Boardtalk.net

Post by Boardtalk.net »

Dakin Quelia wrote:I suggest you to modify the display_forums() function or to make index.php?c=x instead of viewforum.php?f=x. ;)
HI Dakin Quelia,
Thanks for your help :) I gave index.php?c=x a go but it didn't work as it should, maybe I wasn't applying it correctly. The tabs are working now with the use of an IF STATEMENT, eg:
<!-- IF SCRIPT_NAME eq 'index' or FORUM_ID == "1" -->class="activetab"<!-- ENDIF -->

I'm sure someone better with php could make a better job of this but have managed to get it to work just with edits to the forumlist_body.html but like darocker077 mentioned the tabs don't load without the page having to reload.

I hope to pack it up with instructions tonight but its not for the faint hearted because a user will have to do a little bit of coding to make it function.

Its a start but will still be looking at other alternatives. ;)

Jessica
Former Team Member
Name: Jessica

Post by Jessica »

installed on test forum (http://area51.chenschool.elementfx.com/index.php) without any problems but the tabs aren't showing up...I refreshed the templates and themes and browser cache, still not showing up...

Username: Test
Password: test123
Pro-choice, Atheist, Pro-LGBT rights
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”