[ABD] Reputation System

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Pico88
Name: Lukasz

Re: [RC] Reputation System

Post by Pico88 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:11 pm

@forforce, this mod is not design to rate topic and you will not be able to display points on viewforum page without making changes in DB and php.
Please do not PM me for support.

fifahub

Post by fifahub » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:42 pm

Hi pico88 and thank you for this great mod, it is very helpful in my board.
I want to ask you if it is possible to install multiple instances of this mod.
Thanks for the support.

Gwyneth Llewelyn
Location: Neufreistadt, Confederation of the Democratic Simulators, Second Life
Name: Gwyneth Llewelyn

{RS_ADD_POINTS} issue fixed

Post by Gwyneth Llewelyn » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:03 am

I see that this is a common problem to many who post here, so the way I fixed it might be useful for others...

Like many have reported, I also had the dreadful {RS_ADD_POINTS} words appearing without the link working at all. To be honest, I suspected that the problem was not with phpBB or with this most excellent mod, and — in my case — I was right.

I did tweak with the templates, and read the many suggestions here, but finally tracked it down to the real issue: Javascript was not being correctly loaded. And without Javascript, there is no reputation system — simple as that. You can tweak the templates and rewrite the whole of phpBB to your heart's content, but it will be a waste of time.

The server hosting the forum boards where I had implemented the reputation system had three serious issues:

1) Apache + Google PageSpeed, which compresses JavaScript and uses a lot of nifty performance-saving techniques;
2) JavaScript minification, courtesy of CloudFlare (a popular CDN/caching/security system, that distributes your content to 23 data centres across the world, caching things and greatly improving performance and security — all for free);
3) RocketLoader™, a technology employed by CloudFlare that asynchronously loads JavaScript to improve performance (you don't need to wait for it to be downloaded to get the page being displayed).

Unfortunately, all those nifty performance tricks made the inevitable occur: Javascript for the rating buttons would never run at the time {RS_ADD_POINTS} was displayed (because phpBB also does aggressive caching...), and, even if it by chance loaded in time, it would almost always be corrupted in some devious way, thanks to JS minification.

Since the Javascript code for the reputation system comes at the very bottom of the page — most applications using Javascript prefer to load it from the header instead, and rely on asynchronous loading to make sure that you see the page without needing to wait for Javascript to load — it means that, at the moment the browser finally finished with the page, and required another script to be loaded (for the reputation system), it was already "too late": it already determined that the page was fully loaded and discarded the Javascript. Sometimes this didn't happen, but the Javascript would be minified (and probably compressed, too!) beyond usability anyway.

In my case, this meant lowering overall performance on my webserver, getting rid of PageSpeed, turning minification off, and turning asynchronous loading of external files off. This naturally means worse overall performance and some serious waste of resources. But that's the price I got to pay for having the reputation system working!

I'm now considering to move my forum boards to a completely different server, where I have absolute control over the hardware, operating system, and software. With that in mind, I might be able to tweak the system so that it still gives astonishing performance, probably serves minified & compressed Javascript in an asynchronous way, but still allows the reputation system to run. However, most people are very likely stuck with what their hosting provider has given them (which is currently my case) and just have limited access to it.

I also believe that this is one of the reasons why, in some cases, people have such difficulties in getting the {RS_ADD_POINTS} tag to get replaced by a working "thumbs" icon which actually does something useful. It's not their fault; it's not phpBB's fault; it's not their templates' fault; and most definitely it's not the fault of the mod. It is, most likely, very dependent on the kind of software combination your hosting provider is implementing to improve performance of your website. If you're using a shared hosting platform, the number of options you actually have might be very reduced (for instance, if my own shared hosting provider didn't give me the option to turn Google PageSpeed off, I might never have figured out how to get the Reputation System working!). That's why I've repeatedly seen people here trying to faithfully reproduce other people's configurations and utterly fail — it's not their fault. It's all about how Javascript is being loaded on your server. If you don't have much control over that — and you might not have, depending on your hosting provider — you might simply be out of luck.

Also, don't blame your hosting provider! These optimisations exist to improve performance, speed up your site, and prevent users to "steal" too many resources, giving each an equal and fair amount of resources to run a website smoothly. Often enough, though, mod programmers (and programmers in general!) are not aware of how complex these optimisation techniques have become these days, and never had the opportunity to test them out in a wide range of servers and performance tricks...

forforce

Post by forforce » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:46 am

Pico88 wrote:@forforce, this mod is not design to rate topic and you will not be able to display points on viewforum page without making changes in DB and php.
Too bad, that would be the best thing ever because there is not a good topic rating system that we can use and this is the best and rates topics too but this thing is missing. If somebody can do that, that would be amazing.
https://www.cumseface.eu , We have tutorials for everything / Te ajutam se te descurci singur .

forforce

Post by forforce » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:07 am

forforce wrote:Thank you for reply but the message is visible to all :(.
I even tried the code:

Code: Select all

<!-- IF not S_USER_LOGGED_IN -->
But no luck even with this one :(
Any help with this issue? :(
https://www.cumseface.eu , We have tutorials for everything / Te ajutam se te descurci singur .

just1more

Post by just1more » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:40 am

Quick question, hoping you can point me to a possible solution.

I have installed the mod several weeks ago on a new board so we have a lot of activity right now. My users love it, but somewhere along the way the icon for rating has disappeared.

They can still see the counter in each post (and if you click it does rate properly) but the actual thumb icon is missing. I have confirmed the image is in the imageset but not sure where else to look for a reason.

Thank you!

Jessica
Former Team Member
Name: Jessica

Post by Jessica » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:00 pm

just1more wrote:Quick question, hoping you can point me to a possible solution.

I have installed the mod several weeks ago on a new board so we have a lot of activity right now. My users love it, but somewhere along the way the icon for rating has disappeared.

They can still see the counter in each post (and if you click it does rate properly) but the actual thumb icon is missing. I have confirmed the image is in the imageset but not sure where else to look for a reason.

Thank you!
Check permissions, maybe?
Pro-choice, Atheist, Pro-LGBT rights
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

Zyleta

Post by Zyleta » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:38 pm

Hi, I have a problem with this mod, and don't know what I'm doing wrong :(

I enable this mod and set permissions. I think, all is ok, I see icons, but I can't give a reputation => when I click on icon, to give a point of reputation, I see a blank (white) screen, with any information, what's wrong.

I try to give a point when I give a warning, but it was the same effect. I can see the site, with details, but when is going to give some points, it doesn't work.

When I change a permission, and I cannot give a points, is going to show me a information, that I can't give a point of reputation.

This can be a problem with jQuery? 'Couse I have some others mods using jQuery and don't know, if that can be a problem.

I have also installed mod Thanks For Posts, and first, I installed it without covert, then I uninstall, and instal again with convert, but this mod doesn't work correct.

Also, when I uninstall mod, I sow, that was some errors with some tables, which should be deleted, but doesn't exists, if is it importand, which tables are that, I can tell You (installation have no problems, all data is successfull)

Sorry for my english :(

alsthom

Post by alsthom » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:33 pm

Hi, I am back again! :D

One question, please: Is there a way to avoid the popup window when we vote for a post?
I would like to vote for a post right after I press the rate_good button. Is that possible?
-----------
EDIT! I just found how to do it. :D
(From the options of ACP, I disabled comments)

forforce

Post by forforce » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:23 am

Can I put a custom message if a guest is clicking on the reputation point ? For example , He clicks on the reputation point, The pop-up window with points and details appears and above the window to be a message: You need to be registered to give reputation points. Something like that. Can that be done ?
\template\reputation\postdetails.html
find

<div id="post-reputation-list">
Add a in new line before

<!-- IF not S_REGISTERED_USER --><p class="author">You need to be registered to give reputation points.</p><!-- ENDIF -->
I even tried the code:

<!-- IF not S_USER_LOGGED_IN -->
I can`t make it work :( . Any kind programmer can help me with this? Thank you.

tytanminos

Post by tytanminos » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:27 am

I have a question (sorry for my bad english, i speak only french)

I want to know if it will possible to make this:

In Reputation list, there is this :

My question, it will possible to make the same for the viewtopic page ?

Would it be possible to display the same on the viewtopic, with the frame depending on the color of reputation, as well as the name of the rank.

For the viewtopic, here is not very nice. So now, is that possible?

Badhon_raj

Post by Badhon_raj » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:40 am

forforce wrote: I can`t make it work :( . Any kind programmer can help me with this? Thank you.
No IF statement supposed to be working in there properly. only pico bro can help here I guess.

tytanminos

Post by tytanminos » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:26 pm

Person to answer my previous post?

tytanminos

Post by tytanminos » Sun May 04, 2014 6:06 am

Can i receive an answer please ?

Pico88
Name: Lukasz

Post by Pico88 » Sun May 04, 2014 4:23 pm

tytanminos wrote:I have a question (sorry for my bad english, i speak only french)

I want to know if it will possible to make this:

In Reputation list, there is this :

My question, it will possible to make the same for the viewtopic page ?

Would it be possible to display the same on the viewtopic, with the frame depending on the color of reputation, as well as the name of the rank.

For the viewtopic, here is not very nice. So now, is that possible?
It is possible but require some edits in viewtopic.php and its html file. I will not do it for you.
Badhon_raj wrote:
forforce wrote: I can`t make it work :( . Any kind programmer can help me with this? Thank you.
No IF statement supposed to be working in there properly. only pico bro can help here I guess.
You should put the code in reputation.php - not in template file.

The code can look like (add befor if (!$row) in rate post mode)

if (!$user->data['is_registered'])
		{
			echo json_encode(array('error_msg' => $user->lang['RS_REQUIRE_REGISTRATION']));
			return;
		}
Please do not PM me for support.

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”