[ABD]phpBB to WP connector 1.5.0

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Danielx64
Name: Daniel

Re: [RC] [BRIDGE] phpBB to WordPress bridge 0.8.1

Post by Danielx64 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:37 pm

Hi Rich,

That's a very good question, I won't lie about this but I have not tested it on a site with such a large user-base. Most of my testing has been done on small board with some test users and test posts.

Like anything else, there a risk that it may not work but then there also a chance that it may work. Would you mind letting me know what sort of changes that you have done to your forum? You are welcomed to PM me with details about your forum if you would like to do so.

Also like any other MOD that is in RC, it's a good idea to backup your forum before doing anything.

Daniel
pilch wrote:Hi Mr Developer.

I think it's great that phpbb owners have good people like you and I wanted to personally express gratitude there first and foremost.

Now, will your RC MOD cope with a 10 year old site with close to 600k accounts and us heavily modded?

Thanks in advance.
Rich
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:01 am

I have a few WP+phpBB sites and this MOD is certainly needed by the community since the other MODs/plugins are abandoned too. One feature that I'd like to see is the ability for phpBB to handle all of the WP comments. phpBB has better anti-spam MODs than the WP plugins.

Typically, what I do now is:
Disable comments in WP, cross-post to the forums and link the topic at the bottom of a WP post for comments but it would be nicer if the phpBB comments would just show up in WP like the WP comments would and if people want to reply, quote or post a new comment then that would be done by phpBB instead.

It'd be nice if I could write everything in phpBB and have it cross-posted to WP instead but with all of the different WP themes and plugins it'd be too hard to support all of the templates. Going the other way would probably be easier.

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:12 am

This bridge use it own theme for wordpress, and when you make a post on wordpress, 2 links will come up, one to view the topic on the forum and the other to reply.

I'm just doing the final check over before bringing out a new version and send it into the database :)
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:21 am

Danielx64 wrote:This bridge use it own theme for wordpress, and when you make a post on wordpress, 2 links will come up, one to view the topic on the forum and the other to reply.
Oh, that might not work for me then because I need theme specific templates for product/service/event reviews with detailed ratings (like stars) for various categories like performance, support, features, overall and user ratings etc.

The demo and screenshots are all dead...

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:10 am

Yes I know that it broken. Also I am going to make a version where you dont need the theme but it will (for now) be cut down. What plug-in (wordpress) do you need working?

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:19 am

I run several different plugins depending on the niche but the theme templates are the deal killer for my use.

The plugins that I use (that could be affected):
WP-Client (lite or full)
Daskal
Namaste! LMS
WP-PostRatings

Currently, I use a modified Splash/Splash2 theme by mythemeshop for the review based sites but I might be replacing that one if I can find something better. It uses a special review post type template and shortcodes that makes the reviews look nice and adds the rating features.

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:27 am

Are those plugins free? After I send the bridge in I will take a look.

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:51 am

Danielx64 wrote:Are those plugins free? After I send the bridge in I will take a look.
The lite version is free, some do have a paid "pro" version too but you can DL all of the free ones from WP via the admin panel.

The themes are strictly paid versions.

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:59 pm

Master_Cylinder wrote:
Danielx64 wrote:Are those plugins free? After I send the bridge in I will take a look.
The lite version is free, some do have a paid "pro" version too but you can DL all of the free ones from WP via the admin panel.

The themes are strictly paid versions.
Ok I've downloaded the free versions (of the plugins) and I will check then out. Even if they don't work out of the box, it doesn't mean that it won't work at all, just need some hacking :)

Even so, there will be a version that doesn't have the theme requirement. When? Not sure :)

Danielx64

Re: [RC] [BRIDGE] phpBB to WordPress bridge 1.0.0

Post by Danielx64 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:50 am

Updated first post with latest version as sent into the DB and updated install instructions.

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:31 am

Master_Cylinder wrote:I run several different plugins depending on the niche but the theme templates are the deal killer for my use.

The plugins that I use (that could be affected):
WP-Client (lite or full)
Daskal
Namaste! LMS
WP-PostRatings

Currently, I use a modified Splash/Splash2 theme by mythemeshop for the review based sites but I might be replacing that one if I can find something better. It uses a special review post type template and shortcodes that makes the reviews look nice and adds the rating features.
I cant get wp-postrating going, even on clean install without bridge. Got daskal going but it will need some editing to fix layout issues. WP-client wont work on IIS so that will need to wait till I get apache up and running.

Master_Cylinder

Post by Master_Cylinder » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:04 pm

What about Namaste LMS?

Either way, I would still have to wait until you have the theme-less version to use this bridge.

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:22 pm

Master_Cylinder wrote:What about Namaste LMS?

Either way, I would still have to wait until you have the theme-less version to use this bridge.
I have not got around to that yet still trying to figure out that post rating plugin issue, although I may as well get some sleep and try again tomorrow.

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:38 am

Demo site is up now -> http://danielx64.com/ Some blog posts will be up later :)

Danielx64

Re: [RC] [BRIDGE] phpBB to WordPress bridge 1.0.1

Post by Danielx64 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:29 am

Uploaded new version, it include a security fix and it would be in your best interest to install this update.

Download link in first post and upgrade info can be found here: http://danielx64.com/2014/01/bridge-php ... -to-1-0-1/

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”