[ABD] Topics Only Visible to topic starter/moderators

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Danielx64
Name: Daniel

[ABD] Topics Only Visible to topic starter/moderators

Post by Danielx64 »

Based on viewtopic.php?f=434&t=543859#p2979921

MOD Title: Topics Only Visible to topic starter/moderators
MOD Description: This modification will allow board administrators to turn on an "Topics Only Visible to OP" setting for each individual forum. When enabled, each topic in the forum can only be seen by the author who created it. Users given the new "Can see OP view only topics" permission can also see every topic in an topics only visible to original poster enabled forum.
MOD Version: coming soon

MOD Download: coming soon
Last Stable version: coming soon

Demo Board: coming soon
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.
Master_Cylinder

Re: [DEV] Topics Only Visible to topic starter/moderators

Post by Master_Cylinder »

I saw a request for this before but I still can't figure out where this would be useful other than maybe a complaint forum but we already have PMs and a report post button that's private. What other scenarios would people want to use this? :?
Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

Master_Cylinder wrote:I saw a request for this before but I still can't figure out where this would be useful other than maybe a complaint forum but we already have a report post button that's private. What other scenarios would people want to use this? :?
One forum I been on have this setup and instead of sending a PM to the mods or the admins, you would post in that forum. And I found that it worked really well because any of the staff who know the answer, or can help you out can do so and it would be much quicker.
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.
Master_Cylinder

Danielx64 wrote:
Master_Cylinder wrote:I saw a request for this before but I still can't figure out where this would be useful other than maybe a complaint forum but we already have a report post button that's private. What other scenarios would people want to use this? :?
One forum I been on have this setup and instead of sending a PM to the mods or the admins, you would post in that forum. And I found that it worked really well because any of the staff who know the answer, or can help you out can do so and it would be much quicker.
I guess that does make sense for forums with many moderators/support staff depending on the topic. Can you give an example of what kind of topics/questions that forum covered? Abuse reports could be handled by the first staff member that reads the report in the MCP so I doubt that's it. I'm still confused... ;)

I wouldn't want members asking "how do I do x" in private though. I'd rather they ask in public so others can learn too. That prevents many users asking the same private question.
Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

One question I had for the team was about logging in from public networks, school and so on where I could end up with the same IP as someone else and may be mistaken for having more than one account. Or things like I can't upload my AV (it happens).

Even if you have a question about the forum rules, you can ask there.
Master_Cylinder

OK, for me that would fall into the category of public questions where the answer might help others with the same questions but maybe others feel differently.

I did come up with one possible use. A client portal. That way clients could all post in the same forum and upload/attach documents, contracts, etc. without the other clients (or members) seeing what they were doing. I'll have to think about that since I *was* looking for a client portal for one of my Wordpress sites. That might be a solution. It would be a little bit of a pain to manage accounts on both but...maybe. ;)

Does the OP only forum also hide topics or just the posts?
Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

Master_Cylinder wrote:
It will hide the topics as far I'm aware (will check on that though as I just picked it up out of the rubbish bin :) )
Jessica
Former Team Member
Name: Jessica

Post by Jessica »

Thanks for picking this up, Daniel. One suggestion I would make that I would have done so in the original topic is to make it compatible with the latest topic title mod (and also https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... pic_title/ for people using that one)...topic titles are hidden for forums that have the option enabled

Oh, and I'm using the now-abandoned version - have been for a long time; if you're making any major changes please indicate that - I want to be able to apply them without having to completely re-install. Thanks
Pro-choice, Atheist, Pro-LGBT rights
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

I'll look into it :)
Jessica wrote:Thanks for picking this up, Daniel. One suggestion I would make that I would have done so in the original topic is to make it compatible with the latest topic title mod (and also https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... pic_title/ for people using that one)...topic titles are hidden for forums that have the option enabled

Oh, and I'm using the now-abandoned version - have been for a long time; if you're making any major changes please indicate that - I want to be able to apply them without having to completely re-install. Thanks
Master_Cylinder

Danielx64 wrote:
Master_Cylinder wrote:
It will hide the topics as far I'm aware (will check on that though as I just picked it up out of the rubbish bin :) )
Yeah, that would work as a client portal if it does. If it only hides the posts inside the topic, not so much. That would be like having a hidden forum for each client but all in one place. hmmm..maybe a hidden forum for each client *is* better though. That way it can be customized for each client and they'd only see their own. Now I have to think about it more... :(

Jessica wrote:Oh, and I'm using the now-abandoned version - have been for a long time; if you're making any major changes please indicate that - I want to be able to apply them without having to completely re-install. Thanks
Can I ask what kind of topics that *you* use this for? The client portal was all I could come up with. :P
Jessica
Former Team Member
Name: Jessica

Post by Jessica »

Mainly private issues that members what to discuss with me (and they can post instead of sending PMs)
Pro-choice, Atheist, Pro-LGBT rights
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

Master_Cylinder wrote:
Danielx64 wrote:
Master_Cylinder wrote:
Yeah, that would work as a client portal if it does. If it only hides the posts inside the topic, not so much. That would be like having a hidden forum for each client but all in one place. hmmm..maybe a hidden forum for each client *is* better though. That way it can be customized for each client and they'd only see their own. Now I have to think about it more... :(

Jessica wrote:Oh, and I'm using the now-abandoned version - have been for a long time; if you're making any major changes please indicate that - I want to be able to apply them without having to completely re-install. Thanks
Can I ask what kind of topics that *you* use this for? The client portal was all I could come up with. :P
Just check it out and it does hide the topic and if you use a direct url it will protect that too.
Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

Jessica wrote: Oh, and I'm using the now-abandoned version - have been for a long time; if you're making any major changes please indicate that - I want to be able to apply them without having to completely re-install. Thanks
Just letting you know, when you install the next version and run the installer, you will run into issues because of the fact that the installer will now be UMIL and not just pure SQL statements.
Mess
Name: Kim

Post by Mess »

I'm using the old version on our main forum.
We use it for join request together with Sajaki's app form.

The application is posted in the topic starter only forum, where our full members and staff have access also.
That way our members can discuss applications and the applicant can reply, without the applicant being able to see any of the other join requests.

Stickys / announcements are view able be everyone.
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

Jessica wrote:Mainly private issues that members what to discuss with me (and they can post instead of sending PMs)
Yeah, there are lots of uses. Here are three.

1. A medical forum where you're discussing specific patient information covered by HIPAA (in the U.S.).

2. Financial forums where you're discussing detailed financial history (possibly including account numbers).

3. Paid tech support where you don't want people to avoid paying the tech support charges by being able to read solutions to similar problems posted by others. (More as a sucker bet for people who can't use Google well. :D) (Or, for that matter, regular tech support where license keys are discussed.)

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”