[ABD] Topics Only Visible to topic starter/moderators

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Master_Cylinder

Re: [DEV] Topics Only Visible to topic starter/moderators

Post by Master_Cylinder »

Those are all good reasons...thanks! I knew there had to be some... ;)
RefUser

Post by RefUser »

I have a slightly different use:
My BB is a private one for a referee association. When there are "incidents" during a game we have to file a report for the board of directors, which sometimes includes sensitive issues. We currently use emails, but this implementation would create a database of reports plus board member responses. When a new board is elected, they will have access to the db without a requisite transfer of emails, etc.

Hoping to see that MOD soon guys!
Danielx64
Name: Daniel

Post by Danielx64 »

Just giving everyone the heads up, I am going to bring out the new version this weekend (it's Friday here) and I still don't know how I'm going to handle the fact that many of you got his mod already installed as I'm changing the way that database edits are being done (I'm using UMIL).
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.
ChosenOne912

Post by ChosenOne912 »

Is this MOD still being developed? I am very interested in something like this for my forum.
Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

ChosenOne912 wrote:Is this MOD still being developed? I am very interested in something like this for my forum.

Hi there,

Sorry for the late reply, yes I'm still working on it. Just so that you know my hands are a little full but be assured that I have not forgotten about this :)
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Why not to use the built-in features instead?

Just create one or more forum/s or forum/sub-forum or better a forum/sub-forum/sub-forum for each User. Where he/she is the only that have the appropriated read and write permissions. Allowing Moderators/Users to have those too it is up to the Admin, in this case.

This way the User gets a complete forum where to expand a topic for every question or so on, I did it in the past for my private needs.

Am I missing something?
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

3Di wrote:Why not to use the built-in features instead?

Just create one or more forum/s or forum/sub-forum or better a forum/sub-forum/sub-forum for each User. Where he/she is the only that have the appropriated read and write permissions. Allowing Moderators/Users to have those too it is up to the Admin, in this case.

This way the User gets a complete forum where to expand a topic for every question or so on, I did it in the past for my private needs.

Am I missing something?

Because then you could have 1,000's of forums and phpBB doesn't work well with a huge amount of forums.
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer Image
Jessica
Former Team Member
Name: Jessica

Post by Jessica »

Am I missing something?
That is way too tedious. Creating a sub-forum/forum for every single user? No way
Pro-choice, Atheist, Pro-LGBT rights
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

Jessica wrote:

Am I missing something?
That is way too tedious. Creating a sub-forum/forum for every single user? No way
Yes, it would be extremely admin-intensive to do that. Not only would you have to create a forum for every user manually, you'd also have to create a group for each user or change each user's permissions directly (which is generally discouraged).

You have to do it that way if you want to host different clubs or clans, but having new forum permissions is easier for this case.

Even if phpBB provided an event-driven system (when a user registers, create a forum for him automatically), you could easily run into the problem that RMcGirr83 mentioned.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
Seeeler

Post by Seeeler »

still waiting for this mod
it can be very useful to be used as a support section
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

RMcGirr83 wrote:
3Di wrote:... strip ...

Am I missing something?

Because then you could have 1,000's of forums and phpBB doesn't work well with a huge amount of forums.
I am aware that 1500/2500 is the known limit, I strongly believe that in most cases are enough, though.
But, yes.. having read also others I do have to agree with you all.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
slylock

Post by slylock »

I know "purpose" of this has been covered pretty well, but just to throw in another good example for it would be in my case.
I am an officer in a online gaming guild. when people want to join our guild, I have an have an application form with a bunch of questions that newly registered users fill out, and upon submission it posts a new topic in an "applications" forum with the questions and users answers. it works great, but the issue is we don't want everyone in our guild to be able to view the applications, we only want the guild officers able to see them. so by using standard forum permissions, the new user cannot see his posted application, and the only way to communicate with the new user is by PM or Email, and it makes it very difficult when you have multiple users submitting applications because it just creates a huge PM hot mess. being able to just reply to the topics would be amazing. I don't imagine it being that hard to implement, I am surprised it hasn't been a built in feature. there is a couple mods out there that do this, but they are really old (3.0.5), I guess it is not a real high priority for the masses, but it is for the ones that need it.
there are 10 kinds of people in the world... those that understand binary, and those that don't
sagot3n

Post by sagot3n »

Oh i cannot wait for this mod, would be a perfect mod for applications to a guild with phpbbdkp. Please hurry!!! :twisted:
KiloCT

Post by KiloCT »

Danielx64 wrote:
ChosenOne912 wrote:Is this MOD still being developed? I am very interested in something like this for my forum.

Hi there,

Sorry for the late reply, yes I'm still working on it. Just so that you know my hands are a little full but be assured that I have not forgotten about this :)
Hi Danielx64,

New to phpbb, waiting desperately for your MOD so that I can launch my 1st phpbb forum.

Hope the development is going strong. Any hint of a beta test soon?

Thanks a million
K-CT
Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

Ok I've made a post on my forum with a download link to the version that I picked up from the original author.

link: http://danielx64.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... p=205#p205

The biggest problem is trying to make a installer that not going to break when people go and install the new version. After the fact that I left it for awhile I now have a much clear mind and I can see that I could almost send it into the mod database after creating the installer.

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”