[ABD] Topics Only Visible to OP 0.8.1

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
BondGamer

[ABD] Topics Only Visible to OP 0.8.1

Post by BondGamer » Mon May 21, 2007 11:06 pm

MOD Title: Topics Only Visible to OP
MOD Description: This modification will allow board administrators to turn on an "Topics Only Visible to OP" setting for each individual forum. When enabled, each topic in the forum can only be seen by the author who created it. Users given the new "Can see OP view only topics" permission can also see every topic in an topics only visible to original poster enabled forum.
MOD Version: Beta 0.8.1
MOD Format: MODX

MOD Download:
Last Stable version: None

Demo Board: There are hundreds of topics but you can't see any because guests and normal registered users do not have the permission.

Comments: This MOD is fully compatible with phpBB3 3.0.5 and installs automatically with AutoMOD. There are no known issues or bugs at the moment. Please report any you encounter.

Instructions
1) Install modification.
2) For each forum you desire, turn on the Topic Only Visible to OP option. (ACP -> Forums -> Manage Forums -> [forum name] edit -> General forum settings --> "Topics Only Visible to OP" option)
3) Give permissions to desired Users' and Groups'. (ACP -> Permissions -> Forum Based permissions -> Users' or Groups' Forum Permissions -> Select Appropriate Forum(s) -> Misc -> "Can see OP view only topics")
Last edited by tumba25 on Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:49 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Reason: Corrected BBCode for MOD download link
My phpBB3 Mods: - None active =[

Eelke
QA Team
Name: Eelke Blok

Re: [Beta] JC's Forum Author View

Post by Eelke » Tue May 22, 2007 6:44 am

Is there a reason this was implimented like a setting per forum, instead of creating a new permissions settings that that controls this behaviour on a group/user basis (i.e. a user group would have full control, full view, author view, ... permissions on a particular forum)

BondGamer

Post by BondGamer » Tue May 22, 2007 7:03 am

I don't understand the value of doing it the way you mentioned. Even if that method is used, you still have to specify which forums it takes effects in. You can do it your way with this MOD simply by turning author view on in every forum and giving author view permissions to the specific groups you want.

Maybe you can explain it a bit clearer if I am missing something.

Eelke
QA Team

Post by Eelke » Tue May 22, 2007 7:56 am

It just seems to me you are separating functionality where you wouldn't need to. Let me try to explain.

My suggestion is to turn around the "Author view" permissions, so that it means "This person can only view their own topics" instead of "This person can view all topics in spite of this setting that is over there in the forum settings". It would allow you to get rid of the separate checkmark in the forum, and it would be purely permissions. Yes, you would still need to specify this on a per-forum basis, but in a (to me at least) more natural place (permissions settings).

Maybe I'm missing something and/or that's not possible.

BondGamer

Post by BondGamer » Tue May 22, 2007 2:51 pm

The idea of this MOD is to have it set on a per forum basis and not affect the entire board. In my case I created it so people can post applications and they will only be shown to a specific group of people. There has to be a check for each forum. If your method was done, there would need to be a second forum permission and there would still need to be a check in every forum to see if it is enabled.

BondGamer

Post by BondGamer » Tue May 22, 2007 2:52 pm

I have no idea why I quoted myself.
Last edited by BondGamer on Tue May 22, 2007 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eelke
QA Team

Post by Eelke » Tue May 22, 2007 8:14 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but not all permissions are board-wide, are they? There are quite some permissions that need to be set per forum. This could be one of them. A la, it's your MOD, just making a suggestion.

BondGamer

Post by BondGamer » Wed May 23, 2007 3:27 am

Eelke wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but not all permissions are board-wide, are they? There are quite some permissions that need to be set per forum. This could be one of them. A la, it's your MOD, just making a suggestion.
I will look into this.

lenghmustbebetween

Re: [Beta] JC's Forum Author View 0.0.3

Post by lenghmustbebetween » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:21 am

how to install? x_X

BondGamer

Post by BondGamer » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:50 pm

lenghmustbebetween wrote:how to install? x_X
Follow the instructions in the install file?

lenghmustbebetween

Post by lenghmustbebetween » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:14 am

there is just a xml and a xsl file in the zip file and now install instructions -.-"

Pruitt62

Post by Pruitt62 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:32 pm

Eelke wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but not all permissions are board-wide, are they? There are quite some permissions that need to be set per forum. This could be one of them. A la, it's your MOD, just making a suggestion.
Agreed. This mod seems somewhat superfluous to me. The permission set in 3RC already lets you specify very exacting permissions by forum for individual users and/or usergroups. My forum has many hidden and/or private forums. Access to all is governed by the Permission Set already in place in 3RC. I don't see where I would gain anything by using this? Though I could certainly be wrong. lol... :D

Eelke
QA Team

Post by Eelke » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:20 am

Pruitt62 wrote:Agreed. This mod seems somewhat superfluous to me.
The MOD in itself is not superfluous at all, there is no standard functionality to accomplish what it does (it's not about hiding entire forums, it is about hiding specific topics, namely hiding topics to everyone but the author).

What my comment is about, is that I think the way it works could be simpler.

Current implementation:
- Specify per forum whether topics in it are only visible to the author.
- Give selected people a board wide permission allowing them to ignore this setting and in fact view all topics in such forums.

My proposition:
- Define a per forum permission that determines whether someone can view all topics or just their own.

My proposition could be harder to implement, but it would make more sense from an administrato's point of view.

Genocaust

Post by Genocaust » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:10 pm

Have there been any updates to this at all? Bugs squashed, etc? :D

I'd love to use this but was hoping to wait for a more finalized version first beore putting it on my live board.

manofgames

Post by manofgames » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:00 pm

Its great that someone's taken the plunge, and decided to create this mod.
One bug I noticed though was that the forum still displays the number of pages for that forum, though that might be there as an example I suppose....

Anyways, Great Mod :D

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”