Hello Highway of Life, and thank you for investing the time in to building this first Mod, it seems to be a fantastic idea, and obviously a much needed feature.
I installed phpBB v3, two days ago, and this referral/invitation was "the" feature I needed; however, what I need is the ability to make a forum completely private, where existing users can invite others to join... otherwise, there would be no way for any new users to register. My requirement seem pretty simple (I don't mean "easy" to impelement though).. Basically, the existing users can enter their friends' email address(es) and the system will send each of them an email with a link, where the link cannot be passed on to anyone else, and is meant only for the initial recepient (otherwise, it would be a mess).
Of course all the other listed features for this project sound fantastic, and some seem to be necessary.
I've looked at the other 2 related MODs, but they (U2U and the original) are for phpBB v2, so I don't want to mess with that just yet.
Here are "some" of challenges I've faced thus far:
1) I couldn't figure out where in the heck to download the most recent zipped file for this MOD.... each time I found a new link to the download, and when I unzipped, the dates of the files were different.
2) So finally, I decided to use the one that had files dated "11/20/2007", as it was the most recent one I found... the others were from July 2007 and prior (if I remember correctly), etc.
3) I went through the instructions of installing the MOD, which I'm pretty sure I did correctly, because after spending the time, the ONLY thing I got was a new text field in the registration form asking for the username of the person referring them, but with further research (going through every darned screen within the admin control panel), and finally noticed that within the User Control Panel, there is a section where you can see how many referrals a user has successfully referred to register.
4) I read through referral.php (other files as well), and would have a hard time believing that this is only to add the basics that I mentioned in #3 above, so I feel I have done something wrong (I'm not a new to this type of thing by the way) or missed a step, so I went through the whole process again, reviewed the ACP again (page by page), and HOURS later, I have not gained anything worthwile.
**** Am I supposed to see something other than the new text field within the registration form ***
If So, then in what screens of the Admin/User control panel(s)?
Perhaps I'm getting a bit old for this (been at it since 1995)?!
So here's my suggestion...
1) Find a single location (even if it is on your own Website), where you have a link to the most recent and always updated download.
2) Clearly identify, which features "are" already included in the download, and which ones "will be" included in the future releases, and keep this list updated. Otherwise, I'm sure there are others like me that have no idea what to look for... if it wasn't for the last item of your instruction (in the install file), it would have taken me more time to know that there is a new text field in the registration form.
Thank you again for volunteering your time to do this, and have no doubt that once the "true" first release is complete, you will be loved by this entire community, probably more than you already are.
Basically, all the research and reading through all these posts have "drained" me of pretty much everything, I almost want to throw my laptop out the window
... but I still haven't called you any names
Lastly, please let me know if I've done something wrong, and hopefully I'll find out that I've missed something important that could help get my basic requirements of this MOD.
PLEASE tell me that there is more to this MOD than just to add the text field to capture the username of the referral (at least, how to mke this text field a "requied" field).
Thanks in advance,